Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

how do you repair a TCU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do you repair a TCU?

before I get jumped on, I did search and couldn't find anything.
    here is where mine is different from others, everyone says that the "D4" light flashes, well mine is either on or not. when it is not on everything is fine, but when it's on I only have first(manually put the shifter in one) and third. it does this on and off depending on the temp outside and the moisture in the air. my question is, is it fixable? do I need to resolder some points? replace something in the tcu? what can I do to fix it without buying a new one.
    Originally posted by scudweiser
    once again people, need i remind you that there is no road between the kitchen and the bedroom, and therefore women need not drive?

Try jumping the service connector to see if there's an error code stored in the TCU. THEN worry about the TCU itself if there are no codes.

Honestly, I wouldn't even bother trying to repair the TCU. Just replace it if it's bad.

Comment

how much do tcu's usually go for? cuz it seems like i have the same problem.
      first gear doesnt kick in and d4 light is ALWAYS on.

Comment

Deeve, there is no codes for the TCU it's a solid light, so it's bad but only half the time.

and the only place around me wants 120 for a tcu but I was going to see if I could find like a 3 dollar fix for it.
        once again people, need i remind you that there is no road between the kitchen and the bedroom, and therefore women need not drive?

Comment

Originally posted by vtecfanatic View Post
          how much do tcu's usually go for? cuz it seems like i have the same problem.
          first gear doesnt kick in and d4 light is ALWAYS on.
          If the light is always on, try pulling the codes. If you jump the service connector and it stays solid, then the TCU is likely bad. If it flashes, read the code and fix the problem.

Originally posted by ingold View Post
          Deeve, there is no codes for the TCU it's a solid light, so it's bad but only half the time.

and the only place around me wants 120 for a tcu but I was going to see if I could find like a 3 dollar fix for it.
          You could probably fix it for very little if you knew what you were looking at, and how to determine what was wrong. I don't know if there is anyone on here that knows enough to help you with that, or if you'd have the necessary skills or equipment to pull it off even if there was.

Check ebay, the classifieds section here, car-part.com, or local junkyards. TCUs aren't all that common things to fail, and they're often rather inexpensive. $120 is far too much. I'd say you should expect to pay $30 or $40 tops.

Comment

If it says there's an error but there's no code, that's known as a "code 0" meaning a broken TCU (essentially, it's malfunctioning by forgetting the code). Since we can figure the TCU is broken anyway, it doesn't really matter.

Like many other circuitboards, the TCU's weakness is the capacitors. But they shouldn't be affected by moisture and sometimes keep working. (It's possible, but not likely.)

Just pull it out and look for anything unusual. There isn't really a deeper technique than that… if the surface is corroded somewhere, clean it and resolder the broken connections.

Comment

well the reason I say moisture is because when this first started to happen, it would only be after it rained.

Comment

Didn't mean to question that. Just the capacitors specifically are less moisture sensitive than a loose connection, so you're more likely to resolder a wire than replace a capacitor.

Comment

oh, gotcha. I think that I'm gonna just buy a new one.

Comment

Working...
                  X