Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

H22 Vs F20B vtec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22 Vs F20B vtec

Hey guys I'm trying to decide which motor is going to be better for boost . The obd 1 jdm h22 or the ob2 f20b? I know the f20b is a destroked version of the h22. I'm thinking so it should have stronger internals. I need some input about this .and are the parts the same for both motors ?

the F20b and h22a are very similar... the F20 has higher compression and different sleeving than the H22a other than that pretty much all parts are interchangeable between the two... neither is boost friendly out the gate both require a considerable amount of tuning and mods for boost either way you go your pretty much gonna get the same parts cause like i said the parts are interchangeable so you could buy a turbo kit for an h22 and slap it on a F20b. meaning pricing on the turbo kits will not very too much with our cars its an easier swap to the H22 because there is an obd1 version with the f20b being obd2 you can either switch your car to obd2 (more complicated) or run the engine on a tuned Obd1 ecu (not so complicated) but you'll need a tune

MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188701

Comment

As said, neither is boost-friendly in stock form. No H or F series motor is. They aren't made for it, and you'll most likely damage a piston or two fairly quickly. The higher the compression, the lower the threshold for inaccurate tuning... and the greater the chance to do damage.

If you want to risk it, I'd go with the H22A. It's more common, so when you break something (as long as it's not totally destroyed), replacement parts will be easier to come by. The parts you're going to break will be the internals... which do indeed differ greatly.

If you want turbo, the best candidate is the F22A you have in your car right now, as long as it's healthy. It has low compression, and it's cheap and easy to replace when you blow it up... because you WILL eventually blow it up.

Comment

But isn't the f20b has iron sleeves and its a destroked h22 so that pretty much means it a little stronger bottom end than h22 . 8 or 9 lbs boosted for a daliy driver but heavily tuned on hondata s300 and new piston rings , head gasket ,timing belt, water pump , acl bearings ,arp head studs . Should be very safe for the bottom end ? Right

Comment

You are very misguided, my friend.

The F20B's iron sleeves are not stronger than the H22's FRM sleeves. The FRM sleeves have gotten a reputation for being undesirable because they are not compaitble with traditional forged pistons. The available piston selection for those sleeves is very limited. Iron sleeves have more options.

However, FRM is lighter, stronger, and better at dissipating heat than the stock iron sleeves.

The problem with the pistons isn't the rings... it's the ringlands. They are fairly weak, in terms of forced induction, and they WILL fail. In order to prevent this, you'll need to replace the pistons with forged ones... which requires a full bottom end rebuild. Honestly, if you're going to go that far, you might as well do a FULL build, with stronger aftermarket sleeves, and run high boost!

Also, Hondata is nice, but not really needed. You can have a knowledgeable shop tune a chipped P28 to run a boosted VTEC motor just as well, without spending the extra money for all of Hondata's bells and whistles.

If this is your only car, I REALLY don't suggest boosting it... unless you can survive without it, and are prepared to repair it when it breaks. Stock-block turbo setups will always blow eventually.

And, like I said before... your F22A is the best choice for boost.

Comment

Hey man I know you trying to help me out but I want a boosted vtec motor . and I've been hearing a lot of things about mahle gold series pistons for h22s . That u don't have to resleeve the block . Just hone the block and get some eagle rods . And the block would hold up pretty good . What u think about the mahle gold series pistons and eagle rods

Comment

Originally posted by youngmoney1124 View Post
              Hey man I know you trying to help me out but I want a boosted vtec motor . and I've been hearing a lot of things about mahle gold series pistons for h22s . That u don't have to resleeve the block . Just hone the block and get some eagle rods . And the block would hold up pretty good . What u think about the mahle gold series pistons and eagle rods
              you want the H22 because it has Vtec???....Deevs helping you out by saving you money and time. The F22A as said has more potential under boost. I'm not Saying it has more potential than the H22 or F20b each engine has their differences. Any stock N/A motor is goin to blow when its boosted, if you want a H22A so bad think about a total rebuilt that includes cams and head work as well....but be aware once u blow something the parts can be expensive to buy even if you replace with OEM parts again they will break eventualy. And think a H22 or F20B with 8 psi (that can jump psi at times) on Stock internals can totally blow that would mean a new JDM H22....wich is expensive as well

jus my .02 cent

Originally posted by deevergote
              .......If they seem smart, and just trying to learn, I'll offer as much help as possible. If they seem stupid and lazy, I'll do my best to piss them off so they leave and never come back... while still answering the question.

Comment

if you want a boosted vtec motor just so you can tell all your buddies that you have one, then that's not a good enough reason to get one
                you can make the same amount of power with a decent motor and no boost
                do your research and get straight facts before you just start slapping stuff together
                it's all about quality, not quantity

90 accord lx
                form > function

Member's Ride Thread

Comment

You're the expert man... do what you want. Good luck to you!

Comment

Working...
                  X