Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Wiring ignition to cigarette lighter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring ignition to cigarette lighter?

Not sure if this is in the right group, but has anyone here every used there cigarette lighter or other button to start your ignition? Think it my be kinda cool to do it, plus added security factor. seen it done on a bmw, but couldn't get the details on it.

You could wire the igniton to the lighter and press the lighter in to complete the circuit but you would have to start the car before the lighter pops out not a bad idea just doing it is a different story though.
    Last edited by whitejdmcb7; 08-26-2010, 04:46 AM.

current cb 93 10th ann. edition

member ride thread >>> http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...73#post3257973

Comment

There is a kit that replaces the cigarette lighter unit with a red push button for the starter. Is this what you are thinking about ?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/push-button.../p2005154.jcwx
      Last edited by dano28; 08-26-2010, 08:44 AM.

Comment

a ground killswitch might be better....uncle has it on his jeep and its cool to know that no one can jump ur ignition or anything

Originally posted by Uncle Willey
        When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

You might have to upgrade the wiring to the cigarette lighter to handle the current to the starter--not sure.

Also, you need to make sure you can pull the lighter back out once the car starts so your starter engine doesn't keep cranking. AND you'd need to wire in a relay or switch at the back of the lighter cavity that would keep power to the car after the car starts, like it normally works, and also you need a way to switch the power off once you turn the car off.

Normally, the only circuits that are "on" all the time are the lights (you can turn any of the lights in the car on when the car is off). You don't want to wire the main circuits of the car to be "always on, or at least I wouldn't .

It is also potentially a safety issue if unknowing people are in the car and start messing with the cigarette lighter. Say some young kids are in front of your car and someone who doesn't know better shoves the cigarette lighter in and the car runs the kids over.

So you'd need to combine the circuit with the safety switch on the clutch (for manual trannies) or the brake (for auto trannies) for this to be relatively safe.

sounds like an interesting idea though, keep us updated if you go ahead with it.

what you could do is leave the ignition switch connected at the "on" position and use the cig lighter as the "ignition" switch to the starter. That way you'd start the car by putting the key to "on" (but the intermediate "start" positionwould have no effect) and then start the ignition by pressing in the cigarette lighter, then pulling it out as soon as the engine turns over.

All you'd have to do is cut the wires to the starter circuit and reroute them to the cigarette lighter, bypassing the cigarette lighter heater connection somehow--which is another question altogether--do you need to modify the cigarette lighter itself? -- in that case. Sounds pretty easy.
          Last edited by batever; 08-26-2010, 11:16 AM.

Comment

I had a push button start in my CB. Had to flip one of those covered switches to complete the circuit before pushing the button. Had it mounted in front of the shifter. It took my friends a while to start her

psn: KoRn_LuVr

Comment

Originally posted by dano28 View Post
              There is a kit that replaces the cigarette lighter unit with a red push button for the starter. Is this what you are thinking about ?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/push-button.../p2005154.jcwx
              Thanks but i wanna use the lighter that way people won't be able to tell

Comment

Originally posted by JaberCB7 View Post
                a ground killswitch might be better....uncle has it on his jeep and its cool to know that no one can jump ur ignition or anything
                I've seen it done on a manual car, not sure how to do it on an automatic, cause the guy wired it from the clutch, so if you do know how can you post the details, it would be greatly appreciate

Comment

Working...
                X