Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

should I buy a new engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

should I buy a new engine?

I have a 92 Accord EX coup. I am ready to do some serious engine upgrades, but I am wondering if I should purchase a newer engine. I have over 200,000 on the one in my car, but it runs great, doesn't burn any oil but does have a slow oil leak somewhere. I can buy a refurbished engine for $800. I could buy an engine stand or mount, whatever they are called, and do all my upgrades to that engine and drive with the engine I currently have while I build the new one, then just swap engines when I'm done. It seems to make sense to me, because I could then take my time building my new engine instead of being without wheels every time I have to take 2 or 3 days upgrading my present engine. I don't want to buy an H22 because the f22 can deal with a turbo much better. I think it's a good idea, what about you guys? Thanks, Fly.
    Last edited by fly68; 09-27-2010, 04:49 AM. Reason: more info

Why do people constantly insist that the F22 is "better" for turbo? I see this like, 3 times a week... where are you people getting this misinformation?

Anyway, yes... buying a second engine to build is smart. However, I wouldn't spend $800 on a refurbished one. I'd suggest spending $50 on one that needs work, and build it to suit your needs. A stock rebuild for $800 is still going to blow the ringlands one you boost it.

Comment

Originally posted by fly68 View Post
      I have a 92 Accord EX coup. I am ready to do some serious engine upgrades, but I am wondering if I should purchase a newer engine. I have over 200,000 on the one in my car, but it runs great, doesn't burn any oil but does have a slow oil leak somewhere. I can buy a refurbished engine for $800. I could buy an engine stand or mount, whatever they are called, and do all my upgrades to that engine and drive with the engine I currently have while I build the new one, then just swap engines when I'm done. It seems to make sense to me, because I could then take my time building my new engine instead of being without wheels every time I have to take 2 or 3 days upgrading my present engine. I don't want to buy an H22 because the f22 can deal with a turbo much better. I think it's a good idea, what about you guys? Thanks, Fly.
      Both enginge are good for boost, the h22 is just a more work and more money. I would buy a second engine for cheap, use that 800 for new piston and rods. this way you will be able to drive your car will building the motor correctly with out having to rush.

Comment

you ought to look on craigslist and see if there's any engines for sale. i picked one f22 up from blacktrax swap meet for 25 dollars and it runs well.
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Buy another cheap f22 that needs work or something, if your going for boost, you'll need some good engine management! Cast pistons won't hold long, if your doing a serious build fork out the extra money and build it right, I boosted my stock f22 with just injectors fpr and a p06 with an f22 basemap 10psi, cracked 3 pistons and shattered the last and blew my headgasket the same day I got it all hooked up...lol

Comment

Originally posted by winston101 View Post
            Both enginge are good for boost, the h22 is just a more work and more money. I would buy a second engine for cheap, use that 800 for new piston and rods. this way you will be able to drive your car will building the motor correctly with out having to rush.
            Neither engine is good for boost in stock form. The stock ringlands will always give out.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              Neither engine is good for boost in stock form. The stock ringlands will always give out.
              That's like saying something is bad because it has a limit.

Not true.

Comment

I'm not saying don't boost it... just that it will fail. They are not "good for boost".

Comment

engine ?

i have a 1993 10th anni what type of engine do i ? it must must be a good one becouse i got 270,000 miles and still rides nice? one more question how many 10th annis did they produce in 93? anyone

Comment

NO a stock f22 in good shape can take normal amount boost 5-8 pounds. But thats why i said to get another f22 and use that 800 to buy better piston and rods.

Comment

Originally posted by fly68 View Post
                      Annealing is a good thing yo. As long as the block and head are fine keep the motor and just rebuild it.

Just an fyi, The stock F22 can handle boost better than the stock H22 due to FRM on the h22. The F22 cast iron is more efficient than the FRM.

But since you want to rebuild that's kinda irrelevant.
                      Last edited by Reignstarz; 09-28-2010, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by winston101 View Post
                        NO a stock f22 in good shape can take normal amount boost 5-8 pounds. But thats why i said to get another f22 and use that 800 to buy better piston and rods.
                        a stock F22A in good shape will take 5-8lbs, sure... until the ringlands go. And they will.

Yes, if you replace the internals and tune properly, low boost will last a long time, as long as nothing unexpected happens (wastegate failure, fuel failure, etc... plenty of potential problems!)

Forged pistons that are designed for turbo expand and contract a bit, unlike NA pistons, which are very rigid (and therefore brittle, and not right for boost). Pistons designed for turbo motors will usually slap until the engine is warmed up. This can beat the hell out of the cylinder walls, and eventually compromise the integrity of the engine.

Comment

a stock F22A in good shape will take 5-8lbs, sure... until the ringlands go. And they will.

Yes, if you replace the internals and tune properly, low boost will last a long time, as long as nothing unexpected happens (wastegate failure, fuel failure, etc... plenty of potential problems!)

Forged pistons that are designed for turbo expand and contract a bit, unlike NA pistons, which are very rigid (and therefore brittle, and not right for boost). Pistons designed for turbo motors will usually slap until the engine is warmed up. This can beat the hell out of the cylinder walls, and eventually compromise the integrity of the engine.
                          Wait... So... What?! Piston slap shouldn't be normal in any engine, N/A or not am I right? How does one avoid such a problem? Sounds like 6 dozen to 1, half dozen to the other. Stock cast pistons are more rigid, which is bad for boost. Forged pistons for boost will slap until the engine is warm, which is bad altogether. So. Boost = all bad?

Not being a smart ass, just an honest to goodness question by someone with very little (and probably misinformed) knowledge of turbocharging deev! =)

Comment

A turbo engine will wear faster. That's just how it is. Stronger sleeves will withstand piston slap better than worn stock ones.

Also, advances in technology may have produced stronger alloys that don't fluctuate in size as much. Since I'm really not a turbo expert, my information may be dated. In fact, my sources are at least 10 years old, I'm sure.
                            However, that's how I know things to be... if anything, it's something to research and either prove or disprove based on today's available parts.

Comment

as stated b4 by several others, it'd be kinda smart to get another engine to build while u pimp the 200K+ f22 around, but not one that's gonna run u 800 bones. if you wanna boost, at minimum i'd install forged rods & pistons. not to mention a good tune.

Comment

Working...
                              X