Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

H22A vs. F20A5 Fuel consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22A vs. F20A5 Fuel consumption

Simple question, Would a H22A be better on fuel than my F20A5?

Why I ask; The F20A5 gets meh mileage, it's mostly a city driven car, but every time I drive it, it feels underpowered, gutless & takes a bit of throttle just to get it moving. This is normal for the F20A5 Accords I've driven. I couldn't help but think that this load on the motor isn't good for gas mileage. This got me wondering, even though the H22 is another 200cc bigger, would it be better on fuel, even though it's mostly a town driven car? What is the low end torque like on a H22? Not after high performance, just a nice cruisy car that doesn't sound like it's stressing when you get to a hill or whatever. Cheers

H22A Vigor
    SR20 Accord

Performance & Gas Mileage should never be used in the same sentence complimenting one another.

I have a H22 in my old cb paired with a f series tranny i was getting around 30+ mpg

in my lude i have a f22b2 paired up with a m2f4 (h22 tranny) and my gas mileage is roughly 23 mpg.
    ** BUY MY STUFF **

Comment

What sort of driving & where do you get that sort of mileage? Is that in US gallons? :O My F20A5 only got around 21mpg city driving, nana spec driving, normally with a passenger or 2, 27mpg on a long trip (car full). If more people post ITT getting mileage like that from their H22, looks like swapping one in gets the go-ahead. having the extra power under the foot shoulda ya need it would be a good bonus too

H22A Vigor
      SR20 Accord

Comment

Originally posted by A18A View Post
        What sort of driving & where do you get that sort of mileage? Is that in US gallons? :O My F20A5 only got around 21mpg city driving, nana spec driving, normally with a passenger or 2, 27mpg on a long trip (car full). If more people post ITT getting mileage like that from their H22, looks like swapping one in gets the go-ahead. having the extra power under the foot shoulda ya need it would be a good bonus too
        Getting about 28 MPG city/hwy with a heavy foot. JDM H22A

Comment

How about the DOHC F22B fuel consumption vs. H22A?

I forgot I had a f22b for a moment there lol.

H22A Vigor
          SR20 Accord

Comment

The H22A's fuel consumption is only slightly less than the Accord engines when driven carefully. When you take it to 7000 RPM regularly, THEN you're looking at lousy fuel economy. Of course, what's the point of an H22 if you're not going to take it to the VTEC range?

I got about 25mpg (yes, US gallons) with my H22A running a stock JDM P13 ECU. With a quick street tune on a P28, I now get 28-32 depending on how I drive it. Better than my F22A.

Most of the members here are from the US, so comparing it to the F20A or the F22B is difficult, as we didn't get either engine here. Both of those are imported swaps, and only a handful of those that have been swapped are running the proper ECUs.

In similar condition, driven with similar driving habits, the fuel economy should be about the same. The H22A does take higher octane gas than the F series engines do, though... I'm not sure what your standard octane ratings are in New Zealand. Our F22As are designed for 87 octane, and the H22 should run on 91 minimum... I run mine on 92 or 93.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              The H22A's fuel consumption is only slightly less than the Accord engines when driven carefully. When you take it to 7000 RPM regularly, THEN you're looking at lousy fuel economy. Of course, what's the point of an H22 if you're not going to take it to the VTEC range?

I got about 25mpg (yes, US gallons) with my H22A running a stock JDM P13 ECU. With a quick street tune on a P28, I now get 28-32 depending on how I drive it. Better than my F22A.

Most of the members here are from the US, so comparing it to the F20A or the F22B is difficult, as we didn't get either engine here. Both of those are imported swaps, and only a handful of those that have been swapped are running the proper ECUs.

In similar condition, driven with similar driving habits, the fuel economy should be about the same. The H22A does take higher octane gas than the F series engines do, though... I'm not sure what your standard octane ratings are in New Zealand. Our F22As are designed for 87 octane, and the H22 should run on 91 minimum... I run mine on 92 or 93.
              In addition to deevergote, I believe the H22 prelude mileage was about two (2) miles per gallon less than the accord for both city and highway. The prelude number were based on the use of the prelude tranny and the weight of the vehicle. If you use the accord trans you may possibly maintain the mileage of the accord if you have a 2 door coupe.
              600HP" 1990 ACCORD LX COUPE COMING SOON

CLICK HERE TO VIEW MY 1990 CB7

Comment

That's very true. The longer gearing of the Accord's transmissions are much better suited to extended highway driving (the Prelude transmissions will have shorter ratios, even the F22B)

The H22's P13 is also known to run a bit rich compared to the PT3/6 of the CB7. An H22 can benefit greatly in fuel economy with a simple ECU tune, whereas the F22 (and probably the F20A as well) won't show much of a gain.

Comment

sweet, thanks for the replies. agree on being a bit pointless having the power of the h22 under the foot and not using it lol. looks like i'll go for the dohc f22b swap & put the h22 in my 3g accord :P

H22A Vigor
                  SR20 Accord

Comment

Working...
                  X