Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

H22 , H23 , or F20B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22 , H23 , or F20B

***Please don't delete because I have done lots of research on all of these motors but I still need help***
    I'm doing a swap in my CB7 and I was planning on just going with the H22 motor which seems to be very common and an easy swap . But I came across some F20B and H23 ( DOHC VTEC ) motors for about $200 less . Even though uncommon , are these motors just as easy to swap and provide the same amount of power as the H22 ?? Or is it just worth it to go ahead and get the H22 ?

First off, I do not own any of the above engines...

I hear that the aftermarket support is limited with the H23 and F20B if that matters to you.....

-2 cents.
    Originally posted by deevergote
    These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

I know some have swapped the F20B in their cars and have had to do some rewiring and swapping dizzies out I think.

Question thought.... Will you be doing the swap yourself?

CB7Tuner Resident Gamer!
      PSN: JDMcb7TX

Comment

Originally posted by JDM_CB7_TX View Post
        I know some have swapped the F20B in their cars and have had to do some rewiring and swapping dizzies out I think.

Question thought.... Will you be doing the swap yourself?

No I'm having a tuner shop do it and they do lots of swaps in Hondas , Nissans , and Acuras . Sooo I'm hoping that they would know how to deal with the wiring .

Comment

I would say ask said shop if they have done a F20B swap into a 4th gen accord. If so ask for documentation or pics of said swap... If non can be provided then I would just go with the H22 man. Better aftermarket support and finding parts would be easier then looking for the H23 or F20B.

But then again "this is your build".

SIDE NOTE: Go to the swaps section and look at each swap to see what additional parts you will need. The H may still be cheaper with additional parts to complete the swap man.
          Last edited by JDM_CB7_TX; 01-17-2011, 01:08 AM.

CB7Tuner Resident Gamer!

Comment

please correct me if im wrong but wouldnt a h22 longblock with h23 crank/rods/pistons be a powerful build?if so it might be worth it to find a h22 in need of a rebuild and swap the new internals in. i do kno that the deck height on both are the same so the internals would work...theoretically. then again the f20b is a really good swap for the money but he is right its hard to find the aftermarket parts you would for it...just sayin

Comment

DON'T FRANKENSTEIN YOUR MOTOR and this thread was about siad swap not, "Hey you can do this if you want".

You can never do enough research on this topic.... You may want to try and find a few member that have done each of these swaps. You can see the trials and tribulations said members have gone throught and this may help with this decision as well man.

CB7Tuner Resident Gamer!

Comment

if i were to have options just go for the h22 lsd..your getting a lot of power and i have heard from people with f20b that they don't take as much punishment as h22's don't know about the h23..

Lou's Build Thread!
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=181377
                "G-Squares Are For Assholes"~PR_CB7

Comment

Originally posted by PRLiTo9MM View Post
                  if i were to have options just go for the h22 lsd..your getting a lot of power and i have heard from people with f20b that they don't take as much punishment as h22's don't know about the h23..

So would it be a bad idea to keep my F series transmission and bolt it up with the H22 ? Would VTEC work ? ( its a 5 speed )

Comment

Your transmission has nothing to do with your Vtec workiing or not working. The F series transmission has longer gears then the H does. It could help keep your gas mileage down and stretch your shifts thats for sure. This will keep you from being in the high rpm range on the highway.

CB7Tuner Resident Gamer!

Comment

So umm what research did you do exactly? NONE. Except maybe find out that the 3 engines existed. Don't listen to any of these guys either, they're just speculating/whoring to add to their post count. Take it from someone who's been there.

The F20B and JDM H23A are stroked/de-stroked versions of the H22A. They require no different modification other than the fact of they run off of different ECUs that you would be hard pressed to locate. The F20B/H23A to my knowledge are OBD2A, so you would require an adapter hardness for the wiring. You would need a chipped OBD1 VTEC ECU connected to the wiring harness as well to run the engine properly.

The blocks and heads of the two engines are slightly different, so there are different redlines. The F20B having the highest at 7600, the JDM H23A the lowest at 6800. There is no direct aftermarket parts for these engine, you would have to use H22A parts. As far as I know, no one on the forums owns an H23A, but several of the F20B owners have done simple bolt ons, and I believe one owner did install some Crower Cams but as far as other engine internals such as pistons and rods, that's a question mark, The F20B does have a smaller bore of 85mm, while the two H Series engines have the same of 87mm.

Now in regards to the other comments that were made....

Do not put H23A internals into your H22A. It is not only the incorrect combination of parts for the stroker effect the member was referring to, but it requires you to know what you're doing. It's obvious you don't.

While an F Series Trans is compatible with an H Series Motor, you will fall in and out of VTEC during hard pulls. No way around it other than an H Series trans or to tear down and build the F Series trans with H Series parts. I suggest the former for budgetary concerns since once again, you don't know what you're doing.

F20Bs take as much "punishment" as an H22A in good OEM condition. But obviously any significant abuse in the long run will always do any engine in.

And there you have it, another noob once again spoon fed the information they supposedly "researched". And you still need to do more, as this is just the tip of the iceberg. But obviously you won't do that either will you?
                      '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
                      If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

WoW dude... You just went more indepth then l did and I am whoring? Really bro.

That is exactly why l daid he should just go with the H22 since he apparently hasn't done as much research.

CB7Tuner Resident Gamer!

Comment

A majority of the info you need is right here, you just have to read it.
                          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=159041

That should cover a majority of your swap questions, also theres more to having a running motor than just the mechanical part itself. Ecu like said above for the F20B and H23A are well bitchy to find and pricey. Plus then you have OBDII to OBDI conversion which then goes into changing out dizzy, inj. The list just goes on and on. Don't run the F tranny from the sounds of it you'll hate it, the H tranny has the gearing for the motor. Hell I wrote enough good luck, and use the search button.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
                          "The Turtle"
                          DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

Personally since I have read through this thread. I'M JUST GOING TO SAY STICK WITH THE H22A.

Only because of the cost of the f20b and h23, yea they maybe cheaper then an h22 but lets say the belt snaps or headgasket goes(f20b especially) You'll wish you hadnt of gotten either or since finding replacement parts would be a bit tougher and more expensive. Then h22a is more common and easier to deal with.

I'am planning to go f20b soon and I've done my research before finalizing my choice,plus I did reach out to members that have done the swap and they helped me out as to whats needed. It's not much for me since I've played around with wiring and motors. I don't know how much mechanically skilled you are or not. Just take the advice you asked for and was given and go obd1 h22a you wont regret it.
                            Last edited by Darkcloud; 01-17-2011, 06:04 AM.
                            NEW CB

old Darkcloud : 1990 Accord EX MRT

new
                            DARKCLOUD : 90 ACCORD EX MRT

Comment

I vote for H22.

Comment

Working...
                              X