Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

recharging ac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

recharging ac

has anyone tryed recharging there ac themselfs with that stuff from kragen? and does it work?
    MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=196248

the stuff works, but r12 is what our cars use..r134a is for newer cars..

if you try to use r134a it will detiriorate your compressor and not work..

also, r12 has been banned unless a professional that still has some recharges it..it illegal in multiple states so checkyour local sores and see if its banned

Rush

Originally posted by Darkcloud
    Bought 3 things, 1 that goes boom,1 that shades and 1 to go fasrer
    Originally posted by bmxicansd
    so you got a boombox, sunglasses and rosettta stone?

Comment

im gonna see if i can update my system some how
      MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=196248

Comment

Originally posted by cb7rush View Post
        the stuff works, but r12 is what our cars use..r134a is for newer cars..

if you try to use r134a it will detiriorate your compressor and not work..

also, r12 has been banned unless a professional that still has some recharges it..it illegal in multiple states so checkyour local sores and see if its banned
        LOL ok

Using 134a in out compressors will not mess it up. take it to a shop to get the r12 out. then put the 134a fittings on and charge with new refrigerant and put the oil in also. theres a COMPLETE top to bottom retrofit diy on here.

link

http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=165508
        COUPE K24

Comment

r12 to r134a

If you want to convert your system to r134a here is how you do it THIS IT THE RIGHT WAY THAT WILL LAST!

Step-1 let the rest of the old r12 out.

Step-2 remove your alternator to gain access to your compressor and take it out

Step-3 put the compressor up side down and turn the pulley and let ALL of the oil drain out.

Step-4 put the right amount of new r134 oil in the compressor threw the hole for the freon line.

Step-5 put everything back together and put the new r134 filling ports on then using a A/C vacuum pump pull a vacuum then take the vac pump off and now your system will be under vacuum and then when you go to put your freon in it will suck it in and then you finish charging it.

Now your A/C will blow clod and it will last. I have a 90 EX I did this on and now it keeps me nice and cool in the summer. I also still have a 91SE and it runs r12 and it dose work a little better because our cars are made for r12 but 134a will still work good.

My SE dose not leak freon at all and I like it being r12 because it works a little better. IF for some reason I had to recharge my SE with r12 I would have to pay a pro a few hundred bucks to do it.But if I had to recharge my EX with r134a all I would have to do is go down and spend $12:99 on a can.

If you want to get your own r12 look on creagslist. You will have to have the old hose to put the r12 in tho.(I HAVE ONE)

NOTE: If you dont change your compressor oil you A/C will still work for a little while but the compressor WILL burn up because the old r12 oil wont mix with the new 134a and it wont properly lube the compressor...
          Last edited by thepowderblue; 03-28-2011, 05:10 PM.
          Green EX http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176536
          93 SE http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210486

Comment

converting from the r12 to the r134a. Last time i looked in2 it a few people in my area was asking an arm and leg.

If u can find somebody that can charge up the r12 i would go with that instead

Comment

There is this stuff

There is this stuff It is like synthetic r12,its called FREEZE 12 and its not illegal and anyone can buy it because it is not real r12. It is made for r12 systems and you DONT have to change your compressor oil and it works and cools better in our cars then 134a.You can get FREEZE 12 on ebay. The only thing is you will NEED to use an old r12 filling hose so it will hook up to the can.( I have one).Its the BEST STUFF FOR OUR CARS besides r12.It is alot cheaper then r12 to.

Comment

Originally posted by thepowderblue View Post
                There is this stuff It is like synthetic r12,its called FREEZE 12 and its not illegal and anyone can buy it because it is not real r12. It is made for r12 systems and you DONT have to change your compressor oil and it works and cools better in our cars then 134a.You can get FREEZE 12 on ebay. The only thing is you will NEED to use an old r12 filling hose so it will hook up to the can.( I have one).Its the BEST STUFF FOR OUR CARS besides r12.It is alot cheaper then r12 to.
                all that stuff is, is a mixture of everything else and made to work with r12. You might as well get r12. OP, I can get r12 locally here in sacramento. Its 25 bucks a can. Personally its cheaper than r134a, because now its 20 bucks a can plus a 10 dollar deposit. Also the new r134a requires a differnt adapter to, thats 3 bucks.

If you are going to switch to 134a then get a new reciever drier.

Do you see bubbles in the reciever drier sight glass by the cruise control and power steering units?
                What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

If you want to convert your system to r134a here is how you do it THIS IT THE RIGHT WAY THAT WILL LAST!

Step-1 let the rest of the old r12 out.

Step-2 remove your alternator to gain access to your compressor and take it out

Step-3 put the compressor up side down and turn the pulley and let ALL of the oil drain out.

Step-4 put the right amount of new r134 oil in the compressor threw the hole for the freon line.

Step-5 put everything back together and put the new r134 filling ports on then using a A/C vacuum pump pull a vacuum then take the vac pump off and now your system will be under vacuum and then when you go to put your freon in it will suck it in and then you finish charging it.

Now your A/C will blow clod and it will last. I have a 90 EX I did this on and now it keeps me nice and cool in the summer. I also still have a 91SE and it runs r12 and it dose work a little better because our cars are made for r12 but 134a will still work good.

My SE dose not leak freon at all and I like it being r12 because it works a little better. IF for some reason I had to recharge my SE with r12 I would have to pay a pro a few hundred bucks to do it.But if I had to recharge my EX with r134a all I would have to do is go down and spend $12:99 on a can.

If you want to get your own r12 look on creagslist. You will have to have the old hose to put the r12 in tho.(I HAVE ONE)

NOTE: If you dont change your compressor oil you A/C will still work for a little while but the compressor WILL burn up because the old r12 oil wont mix with the new 134a and it wont properly lube the compressor...
                  you forgot reciecer drier replace.
                  What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Wrong!

NO I DIDN'T.It is a good idea if you feel like taking on that kind of job and have all of the hvac equment to do it.most people dont and its not required and I didnt want people thinking they HAVE to do it. It dose help your system cool a little better but it is NOT REQUIRED.My car with the r134 convishion still has the r12 reciecer drier and It cools good! my Se that still runs r12 cools a little better tho.
                    MY Se with r12 can cool the inside of my car down to 70f and the 134a conversion (with the r12 reciecer drier) will cool it down to like 75.f on a 110f day,so it works pretty good.It WILL cool a little better if I replaced drier but its not really worth it.

Comment

no you are wrong

Yes you did leave it out. The reciever drier has nothing to do with cooling. It has to deal with getting the moisture out of the system. Even if you don't have all the cool hvac equiptment you are still recover and vacuuming the system. That's all you need. You already opened the system to so might as well do it right and swap it out its only a few bolts and new o-rings
                      Last edited by accordztech; 04-13-2011, 01:26 AM.

Retro!

Hater

Comment

NO I DIDN'T.It is a good idea if you feel like taking on that kind of job and have all of the hvac equment to do it.most people dont and its not required and I didnt want people thinking they HAVE to do it. It dose help your system cool a little better but it is NOT REQUIRED.My car with the r134 convishion still has the r12 reciecer drier and It cools good! my Se that still runs r12 cools a little better tho.
                        MY Se with r12 can cool the inside of my car down to 70f and the 134a conversion (with the r12 reciecer drier) will cool it down to like 75.f on a 110f day,so it works pretty good.It WILL cool a little better if I replaced drier but its not really worth it.

your ac sucks if it only cools to 70*.
                        COUPE K24

Comment

No

93cb7ex-What I ment was the whole car gets to 70.f the air coming out of the vents is alot colder then that, I would say its about 20.f.

accordztech-I know that but it it not necessary to get your a/c blowing cold and working properly.When you vac the system it gets the moisture out. The drier, also known as the receiver-drier, is sort of the safety catch for your system. The compressor is only supposed to compress the gas form of your refrigerant. However, there's always a chance that some liquid could make it back that far. The drier catches this liquid before it can damage your compressor.Your drier also has "dessicant" (similar to that packet of "DO NOT EAT" that comes with electronics)To get any moisture let in by someone carelessly working on the system. .
                          Last edited by thepowderblue; 04-13-2011, 01:53 AM.

Comment

93cb7ex-What I ment was the whole car gets to 70.f the air coming out of the vents is alot colder then that.
                            thats still weak. my shit when my a/c was half gone did that.
                            COUPE K24

Comment

Originally posted by '93CB7Ex View Post
                              LOL ok

Using 134a in out compressors will not mess it up. take it to a shop to get the r12 out. then put the 134a fittings on and charge with new refrigerant and put the oil in also. theres a COMPLETE top to bottom retrofit diy on here.

link

http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=165508
                              no you are wrong. The seals inside the compressor are not compatible with r-134A

you at minimum need to convert the compressor itself, in reality everything should be converted.

Comment

Working...
                              X