Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Do autos need Honda ATF only.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do autos need Honda ATF only.

I just bought my cb7 3 days ago and noticed it shifts pretty hard, which I've been reading is a trait of this car. I would like to hear your opinions. The previous owner changed the ATF but I don't know if it was Honda brand fluid or not. How much does that matter?

Honda ATF is reccomended by honda, you might get away with other fluids but its always safest to just buy honda ATF.

I've only changed 1 honda automatic transmission's fluid before and i made sure to use ATF.

There is a DIY in the DIY section on flushing your transmission, its done on a 6th gen accord so its very very easy to use for a cb7,

Comment

Yes, you should only use Honda ATF, but I've heard other people that have had great luck with synthetics.

Yes my name is Dang, Don't use in vain
      1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/Auto)
      1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/H22A MT)
      2008 Honda Accord EXL (Coupe/SanMarino/6spd)

Comment

i've used toyota's before but changed to ATF-Z1 soon after..

Comment

Originally posted by vietkid_2006 View Post
          Yes, you should only use Honda ATF, but I've heard other people that have had great luck with synthetics.
          Honda makes synthetic ATF now

Comment

yeah the auto's do shift a little rough.

use synthetic atf and you will be fine. If you insist on using inferior non-synthetic atf then yes only honda (that's because honda's atf is better than non-synthetic )

...but No...you do NOT have to use honda atf...if you use synthetic (lasts longer protects better)

Even in the manual trannies there is aftermarket stuff that works just fine...old wives tale perpetuated by honda. Same with p/s fluid. My honda's steering wheels turn just as smoothly and quietly with aftermarket stuff...
            ____

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
              Honda makes synthetic ATF now
              Ahh I see last time I had it changed was about last year with Honda ATF. Don't remember it being synthetic though.

Comment

Originally posted by vietkid_2006 View Post
                Ahh I see last time I had it changed was about last year with Honda ATF. Don't remember it being synthetic though.
                Yeah they used to sell ATF Z1 but it was discontinued in 2011

Now they sell DW-1

Comment

Yeah they used to sell ATF Z1 but it was discontinued in 2011

Now they sell DW-1
                  I see, I forgot was it every 30k or 60k you change the fluid? I last changed it at 180k then the shift cable seized changed that and then had the tranny flushed. at 180k.

Comment

Im not really sure because i don't own an automatic.

Comment

Im not really sure because i don't own an automatic.
                      I'm going to bust out the manual in the AM. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
                        Even in the manual trannies there is aftermarket stuff that works just fine...old wives tale perpetuated by honda. Same with p/s fluid. My honda's steering wheels turn just as smoothly and quietly with aftermarket stuff...
                        True story, my Dad used to be a Honda Parts manager, and he said at the Honda dealer they'd always use 5w-30 motor oil in the manual trans, back when these cars were almost new. The factory and owners manual specifies motor oil for the manual trans.

Of course the recommaneded fluid are the OEM Honda fluids for the A/T and PS. Using fluids that are not recommended by Honda is at your own risk.
                        1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Mercon Dextron III is a viable solution as long as you get a quality brand. You can also run Royal Purple.

Comment

I used full synthetic mercon dextron III with no issues on a stock dx tranny, mated to a NA built H22.
                            "Self Renewed"

Comment

I used Gulf Dextron III for my AT prelude
                              -Sorry if my english is bad, i try to improve it and do my best to be understood
                              -Soon, you will come back to live...

Bought from: Jack Lee ,Tommi ,408cb7 , xkjnboix

Comment

Working...
                              X