Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Main relay.. what problems can it cause?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Main relay.. what problems can it cause?

I know it can give you a no start condition because of the expansion of the solder joints but anything else?

I guess i am asking this as more of a generic question because my car, which i will admit is a 94, started to misfire yesterday and I've changed many of the typical items (ill list below). The only thing that's seemed to help so far was re-soldering the main relay, which had those "white rings" on a few solder joints. Once i re-soldered it it didn't miss anymore but I'm still not sold on the solution.

Also, does the main relay have anything to do with the sending unit? Once the car stalled completely and wouldn't restart and I noticed that the sending unit was on "E" even though its got a full tank. I checked the grounds on the sending unit yesterday and they are good. Haven't had the gas gauge say "E" since i re-soldered the main relay.

Ive changed/checked-
    Spark plugs twice (ngk v powers currently), wires, cap, rotor button, fuel filter, air filter, 12.5 gallons of quality gas, checked inside of the gas tank for any debris (perfectly clean), fixed a loose battery terminal, 14.4 volts at the battery, grounds on the sending unit.
    '94 CD5 EX F22B1 Automatic

On my 91 coupe..before I bought it, it wouldn't start for anything. Three mechanics the seller used replaced the distributor and still nada. I mentioned the relay, and they put in a relay... it was from a Civic. Car started but only for 20-30 secs. So I read and read to discover:
    The relay gets info to the ECU "saying" Hi I'm a relay for so and so car and telling the fuel pump it is ok to send fuel now, or to shut off now that car is off. (Basically) Of course it would need to be the correct one for your model. Also extreme heat will mess with the solder points on that board..and unless you have super vision you'll miss something maybe. Anything less and the car as you notice will refuse to turn over.
    So I got the exact correct NEW relay for the model and it started up first time, as if car came off showroom floor! Moral of story ...Do it right..get a new part!
    Last edited by SilverShadow; 10-08-2011, 10:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Old wagon - Silver '92 LX Wagon - Steve (Shadow)- STOLEN ON LABOR DAY 2012
    New wagon- White '92 LX Wagon on 1/3/13 (Frostbite)

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com
    My Facebook Site - ACCORDOBSESSION

Comment

The main relay is like a light switch for the fuel pump. That's pretty much it. It doesn't cause any weird misfires. When the main relay quits, the fuel pump doesn't work. That's it.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        The main relay is like a light switch for the fuel pump. That's pretty much it. It doesn't cause any weird misfires. When the main relay quits, the fuel pump doesn't work. That's it.
        that's what i thought, and didn't want to hear honestly lol. i don't know where else this misfire could be coming from and i don't know why the stall problem is connected to the gas gauge problem.

Comment

Just wondering have you performed a leak down or even a basic compession test yet?
          I would also look into coil or distributor related issues.Could be that or a bad or stopped up injector aswell.Check engine light on?Hell it could be a number of things, but what i've said is where i would start investigating first.

02 Crv
          02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
          92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
          Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Originally posted by SOHC-FTW View Post
            Just wondering have you performed a leak down or even a basic compession test yet?
            I would also look into coil or distributor related issues.Could be that or a bad or stopped up injector aswell.Check engine light on?Hell it could be a number of things, but what i've said is where i would start investigating first.
            The misfire is so sporadic that i don't know if a compression test will tell me anything. No oil or coolant is being lost. Check engine light isn't on, tested for codes and didn't get anything besides an ABS code. I might look at prices on coils and ignitors tomorrow if i can't figure anything else out.

If i were to describe the problem at idle its like the engine "bucks" like it does when the AC is first turned on but either once randomly or multiple times in a row. When driving it does it less but when it does it, its pretty bad but all at the same time, almost as if a plug wire was pulled off when its doing it.

Comment

Like i suggested above i would most certainly do a leak down before throwing more money and parts at it.If everything comes back A OK then i would start back on fuel and spark related parts.

02 Crv
              02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
              92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
              Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Get a new relay and then if the car still does all that....then go with their suggestions.

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com

Comment

The relay is a very unlikely culprit in this situation.

First, check the condition of your spark plugs, distributor cap, and rotor. Also, if your wires are old, replace them with Sumitomo or NGK wires. Make sure your ignition timing is correct. Once you take care of all of that, then we can look for other potential causes.

Comment

Originally posted by JBradley500 View Post
                    I know it can give you a no start condition because of the expansion of the solder joints but anything else?

I guess i am asking this as more of a generic question because my car, which i will admit is a 94, started to misfire yesterday and I've changed many of the typical items (ill list below). The only thing that's seemed to help so far was re-soldering the main relay, which had those "white rings" on a few solder joints. Once i re-soldered it it didn't miss anymore but I'm still not sold on the solution.

Also, does the main relay have anything to do with the sending unit? Once the car stalled completely and wouldn't restart and I noticed that the sending unit was on "E" even though its got a full tank. I checked the grounds on the sending unit yesterday and they are good. Haven't had the gas gauge say "E" since i re-soldered the main relay.

Ive changed/checked-
                    Spark plugs twice (ngk v powers currently), wires, cap, rotor
                    button, fuel filter, air filter, 12.5 gallons of quality gas, checked inside of the gas tank for any debris (perfectly clean), fixed a loose battery terminal, 14.4 volts at the battery, grounds on the sending unit.
                    I think he mentioned that ..Just highlighted in case of doubt.

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com

Comment

i don't know if this is helpful but i had this go out on my 90 ex . the mechanic told me that it's common for these to go out. it wasn't too pxensive to fix, but i was working at the time. i'm jobless right now
                      [IMG]http://

Comment

Originally posted by SilverShadow View Post
                        I think he mentioned that ..Just highlighted in case of doubt.
                        Ah yes. I didn't read carefully.

Still, the main relay is not something that causes a misfire.

Regardless... it seems to be what everyone is saying to change, so you might as well change it... if anything, just to stop all the "change your main relay" posts.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                          Ah yes. I didn't read carefully.

Still, the main relay is not something that causes a misfire.

Regardless... it seems to be what everyone is saying to change, so you might as well change it... if anything, just to stop all the "change your main relay" posts.
                          lol yeah i did solder all of the joints, and it seemed to help and thats why I'm asking about a bad relays possible symptoms... and just because people will ask, i did a good job. actually I've had to do sections in college with soldering.

I really don't think this will do it but the vtec solenoid was leaking oil so i am fixing that right now. I figured id mention it though just incase something is related.

The only 2 other thing that i can think of...

1.how much fuel would the lines and filter hold? maybe i sucked a batch of water filled gasoline from the bottom of the tank and it just took 40-50 miles to run it all through? idk what else to think of since i keep running the car and it hasn't skipped since i fixed the main relay last night.

2.Bad ignition switch? I am not that familiar with honda ignition switches but with this one might seem a little wore. it doesn't feel sloppy, but the key (which is a copy) has to be in just the right location before you can turn it. just another thought.

just to make sure i said it before... i changed all of the parts listed, then it started, skipped and stalled. even with the key on the fuel gauge was at E for the 1st time even thought it had a full tank and the car wouldn't even try to fire. fixed the main relay and no problems since.

Comment

Mine had the same issue. It had sit for 1 1/2 years and wouldnt turn over... Changed all the obvious.. would turn over and run for a few seconds then stall.... Changed the main relay and fired right up and runs like a champ, after fixing my coolant leak (water pump).
                            92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
                            2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
                            2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

just took the car out, drove it for 10 miles or so.. pulled into the driveway and it stalled. i just happened to be looking at the gas gauge maybe 5 seconds before it stalled and it was slightly lower than it should have been (still around 3/4 tank) then it stalled and the gas gauge was bottomed out. it actually goes farther below E than is does with the key on than it does with the key off. car won't restart and the gauge is still on E.

do you think the fuel pump and sending unit use a common ground and it is causing all of this trouble?

Comment

Working...
                              X