Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Boosting, where to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boosting, where to start?

Please keep in mind, I am more of a cosmetic guy, but I like fast cars. I am a total newb when it comes to performance.

I have a 93 accord se coupe auto to manual swap with a 95 h22a1 and lsd transmission. I have been reading around and want to "boost" my car.

Where do I start? Can someone break it down for me, I know there is google, and ive been doing some reading but I want information specific to our car, tips and things to look out for, obviously you guys would be the pros.

Any info is great, and thanks in advance
    Everyday is one day closer to completing my cb7 <3

Asking to be taught everything about boosting is quite a request. It's not as simple as just bolting on parts... not if you want it to last.

I suggest you read through the Forced Induction section of this forum first.
    Look up a turbo kit, such as that from Treadstone, and do research on each individual component. Understand what each part does, and why.

Boosting a stock H22A1 is not a good idea, so you will want to replace the internals with forged parts. The H22A1's FRM sleeves limit your options, so you can either resleeve with iron sleeves, or use Mahle Gold Series pistons (the only regularly available FRM-compatible pistons on the market.)

Then there's the matter of ECU tuning, which MUST be done if you want your engine to live. That is a fairly complicated matter... so finding yourself a knowledgeable tuner would probably be your best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      Asking to be taught everything about boosting is quite a request. It's not as simple as just bolting on parts... not if you want it to last.

I suggest you read through the Forced Induction section of this forum first.
      Look up a turbo kit, such as that from Treadstone, and do research on each individual component. Understand what each part does, and why.

Boosting a stock H22A1 is not a good idea, so you will want to replace the internals with forged parts. The H22A1's FRM sleeves limit your options, so you can either resleeve with iron sleeves, or use Mahle Gold Series pistons (the only regularly available FRM-compatible pistons on the market.)

Then there's the matter of ECU tuning, which MUST be done if you want your engine to live. That is a fairly complicated matter... so finding yourself a knowledgeable tuner would probably be your best bet.
      *feels stupid* as i performed searches, and i just came across the forced induction section, which i am now reading..thanks

Comment

I also suggest picking up a book:

Honda/Acura Engine Performance by Mike Kojima. It offers a TON of useful information for someone just starting out with the performance aspect of things, including lots of info about turbo. It's not everything you'll need to know, but it'll provide you with enough knowledge to understand most of what's left. The ECU tuning is the only part with a fairly steep learning curve.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          I also suggest picking up a book:

Honda/Acura Engine Performance by Mike Kojima. It offers a TON of useful information for someone just starting out with the performance aspect of things, including lots of info about turbo. It's not everything you'll need to know, but it'll provide you with enough knowledge to understand most of what's left. The ECU tuning is the only part with a fairly steep learning curve.
          thanks much deev, already looking for it online.

Comment

Just my two cents,its not gonna be a cheap project.H series are expensive to build.I wish I still had my single cam they can boost at 8 to 10lbs without having to touch the bottom end.Some of the parts you will need to build a reliable boosted h22 is as follows:sleeves,pistons,rods,rod bearings.There are more parts but this is a good start in my opinion.Good luck with your build bro.Keep us posted.

Comment

Originally posted by turboaccord77 View Post
              Just my two cents,its not gonna be a cheap project.H series are expensive to build.I wish I still had my single cam they can boost at 8 to 10lbs without having to touch the bottom end.Some of the parts you will need to build a reliable boosted h22 is as follows:sleeves,pistons,rods,rod bearings.There are more parts but this is a good start in my opinion.Good luck with your build bro.Keep us posted.
              thanks very much. still reading up on this stuff as im new to it. im starting to grasp it. and ive priced out some parts, before even talking about a turbo kit, and its looking very expensive already, probably something im going to have to get piece by piece before dropping it all in

Comment

Don't cheap out on major parts or ur just asking for trouble. Anybody with any REAL knowledge will tell u to do it right the first time or don't do it at all because repairs get costly real fast. The treadstone kit suggested is a great kit with quality name brand parts. And most importantly research your tuner... Ask former clients about their past experiences... A bad tune is all it takes to burn up every hard earned dollar u just invested

Comment

Originally posted by bigpoppa694lyfe View Post
                  Don't cheap out on major parts or ur just asking for trouble. Anybody with any REAL knowledge will tell u to do it right the first time or don't do it at all because repairs get costly real fast. The treadstone kit suggested is a great kit with quality name brand parts. And most importantly research your tuner... Ask former clients about their past experiences... A bad tune is all it takes to burn up every hard earned dollar u just invested
                  thanks for the advice. And yes, have read lots of reviews on different kits. I can not tell the difference right now, so im taking peoples experiences into consideration. Ive got a well known tuner the rsx club in ontario here uses. Of course my build is going to take a LONG time due to tight finances i have. But its something im determined to do and as you said, to do it properly.

Comment

Well u at least seem to have your head on straight about this. Just continue to research and save your pennies... Eventually it will pay off in the end when u feel the pull of the turbo spoolin and hear the roar of the engine pumping its heart out.

Comment

Just be sure you know enough to determine what's good and what's not before you buy anything. I could post on a forum asking "is this part good?" and 20 idiots will tell me it is... even if it's not. If you don't know the difference, you'll believe them.

Comment

Working...
                      X