Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

antifreeze emergency!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

antifreeze emergency!

Hey everyone, I'm just about to fill my cooling system back up, and my girlfriend went out to get tranny fluid and antifreeze and she came back with prestone dex cool for GM vehicles. Its an orangish red color. Would it be OK in my system? I'm 39 miles from autozone and don't wanna go back!

I've run across a few cats that have used that and say it gums up in the system after a while. I don't know how much truth there is in that, but thats what I've heard from a few people.

Comment

no, dont do it.

Comment

That stuff doesn't even work right in gm's. Eats the gaskets.
        wat?

Comment

gm guys dont even use it, its is corrosive as hell

Edit:c91blx7 beat me to it lol

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=187851
          sold to: cb7rush\h22-accord\Luis\BurtonRiderT6
          bought from:jokerxfn-tommi-'93cb7ex

Comment

You might be ok if your entire system is dex but you can't mix them. Depending what the temp is where your at you could just use water.

Comment

Straight water can cause problems, though the heat transfer properties are greater than that of antifreeze.

Just run a proper blend of regular antifreeze. You can buy basic stuff at most gas stations. It won't be top quality, but I'm sure your car isn't in mint condition either. It'll work just fine. Just don't use that dexcool shit.

Comment

Fill with water for now and return the dex cool trash later- unless you live in a place where it would be freezing right now.

I don't honestly know if it will gum anything up. Though it seems to be the general consensus that it will, I haven't tried to mix the 2 before.

For short term water won't cause problems unless it freezes outside. Might be good to just churn some hot water through there anyways to "flush" the system out while you get the normal green stuff.

Comment

Straight water can corrode the metal. If the water isn't absolutely pure (it should be store-bought distilled water) then the mineral deposits can wreak havoc in the cooling system. It'd do more damage than the Dexcool would... though I wouldn't suggest using either.

Just go to the local gas station, service station, convenience store, Wal Mart, supermarket, car dealership, or the dude down the street with 6 project cars in his garage. I'm sure SOMEONE closer than 39 miles has basic coolant that's compatible with your car besides Autozone!

Comment

and get a new girlfriend while you're at it... or school her in the ways of cars before she starts buying shit for you! (I had to do that with an ex... I nearly got a chrome carburetor cover for my Accord for my 24th birthday!)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      Straight water can corrode the metal. If the water isn't absolutely pure (it should be store-bought distilled water) then the mineral deposits can wreak havoc in the cooling system. It'd do more damage than the Dexcool would... though I wouldn't suggest using either.

Just go to the local gas station, service station, convenience store, Wal Mart, supermarket, car dealership, or the dude down the street with 6 project cars in his garage. I'm sure SOMEONE closer than 39 miles has basic coolant that's compatible with your car besides Autozone!
                      its not that big of a deal as long as he replaces it in a timely manner. hell ive ran tap water in an engnie for months with no problems what so ever.

Comment

Don't use the dex-cool if you don't have to. Go to anywhere you can to purchase regular antifreeze, even convenience stores sell it.
                        GM was trying to re-invent the wheel....so much for that idea.

Comment

Working...
                        X