Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

New to the forum & header advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the forum & header advice

Hello everyone, just wanted to say hi to the forum, new member here, I picked up my 93 Honda 2dr LX Coupe about 2 years ago as a daily driver for my wife, but she switched jobs and now takes the train to work. Thank means I can now play with it and trick out the car. I dont want to go too crazy, I wont be racing the car, but I certainly would not mind an increase in performance.

The car has about 234,000 miles on her and she is still running strong, she was well taken care of, but ofcourse there are some maintenance issues that pop up here and there that need to get taken care of.

So I guess I'm what you can call a noob when it comes to performance upgrades, so I'll be reading up on the posts on the forum and I'll be bugging you guys for some tips and advice.

One question that I do have right off the bat is this, I'v been wanting to change the headers on the car because the last ones that were replaced are too loud. It sounds like there might be a crack in them, I'm assuming my mechanic used some cheap replacement part. So my buddy recommended that I just pick up a set of performance headers to help out with the HP and also with the loud noise. I found a nice set of stainless steel ones @ M2 Performance that go from 4 to 1 for only $105. Does anyone else have any M2 Performance headers? Reviews?

Thanks in advance!
    -johnny

There is 1 header on this car. Not multiple.

All of the stainless headers you find on eBay are the same thing. I've never seen a 4-1 for that price for the F-series but you'll be alright going with the cheap stainless ones as long as you use quality gaskets with it. For the header flange people like OEM Honda gaskets. For the midpipe flange people use a gasket made for Subarus that you can buy in a 2-pack at Advanced Auto Parts. That will give you a little performance (~5hp at best) and take care of your noise issues. If you use the gaskets that come with them you'll be redoing it a week later.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

That header looks like generic header which can be found in eBay. I have similar header on my car. It was good for two years and the gasket goes in between upper and lower assembly went bad. It leaked really bad. Made up my own gasket and was ok for a month, now it is leaking again.

Loudness of exhaust has more to do with cat back and muffler assembly than header, IMHO.
      A&P-IA

Comment

As he pointed out one header. Check out this thread. It will help give you some options to think about and price.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=14815

Comment

Yes, I do know there is one header on the car...my happy ass fingers hit the "s" when I typed "headers"

The reason why I'm taking a chance on the M2 headers is because they received a positive review on their performance upgrades that they did on a Subaru WRX car that Car & Driver test drove. For a $105, I figure I'd roll the dice. But big thank you to Jarrett for the tips on which gaskets to use, its appreciated

Thanks for the link Burton!

Comment

That's not 4-1. That's 4-2-1.

The gains will be minimal. If you just need a replacement exhaust manifold and would like a few extra horsepower (I'm talking 3-5... tops), and you'd like something shiny under the hood... then go for it. However, the performance gain from that design will do very little for you. No better than the generic crap you find on ebay (I wouldn't be surprised if the source manufacturer is the same for those as it is for this one.)

Comment

Yea, for now, Im not too concerned for a huge HP gain with that header. I just want it to be quieter. Right now when I drive the car, it sounds like there is a large hole in the exhaust, but there is no holes anywhere. The noise sounds like its coming from the exhaust manifold, so I figured to replace it with a new header and new gaskets. The only thing I fear is putting on good gaskets and not junk on there. I read on the forum somewhere to use Copper RTV gasket maker.

Comment

You could always go to a junk yard and pull one off of another CB7. From what I hear the F22A4 header is the best stock one to get. It would be a lot cheaper too last time I checked anyway. But it is up to you really.

Comment

The A4 header is good, but it's also over 20 years old... and may not be in any better condition than the 19 year old manifold on the car now! Though it will be a slight upgrade.

If the header itself is leaking, then there would be a crack somewhere on it. If not, then it may just be a gasket that needs to be replaced. More than likely, your flex pipe has failed. That's usually what gives out first with the stock manifold.

Comment

Working...
                  X