Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Best way to remove rubber from lower shock bushing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
    I knew if it... I just forgot to put the new bushing in there.

Butane won't burn the rubber? I think I might resort to fire afterall... my hands can't take much more of this, and it's barely scratched. My friend has a butane torch. I'm just waiting for his reply to let me use it.
    The butane torch will burn it up fine after a while. I simply stated using a butane torch or something similiar would work fine, as most people at home dont have a nice oxy-acetylene torch like I do at work.

Keep in mind once you do get the old thing chiseled outta there, you still need a press to put the new one back in . I think you may need to bite the bullet and just pull the control arm outta there. They fit pretty tight in there as they should, you could get a mini press like for ball joints, it resembles a c-clamp but with fittings, but that may be difficult in a tight space and or angle.

If you do strip a brake line, just cut the old end off there, rent a flaring tool from autozone or wherever, and flare a new nut end on there. Its not too hard, but Im guessing probably more work than you'd rather do right now!
    ON_N20
    Nitrous = Been there. Turbo = Now. Nitrous + Turbo?... LOADING

Comment

Yeah, definitely! I'm only doing this whole thing because my friend wanted my H&R Race springs... so we swapped them out for a set of Neuspeed Sports. In the process, the bolt seized and tore the bushing to shreds... which was great, the rubber was torn out! But instead of replacing the bushing, I figured it'd be a good time to do a rear disc swap, and just replace the whole knuckle. However, the same damn thing happened to the guy that sold me the parts, only the rubber didn't tear. So now I'm stuck cutting this stupid rubber out.

Hopefully I can press the new one in without taking it off the car. I've been told that it's not too difficult to do if I freeze it, grease it, and line it up carefully. Hopefully I can borrow the press from Autozone or something.

Right now, though, just getting that sucker out of there is all I care about!

Comment

Still on the car. I don't care to undo the brake lines again to get it off (as one of the connections is nearly stripped... I'd REALLY like to keep it on the car!)
        I dont remember taking off any brake lines when doing suspension. If its really stripped and you cant grind down the sides to get a flare nut wrench on it, then a vice grips and a good amount of heat and penetrating oil will knock that brake line loose.
        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Hopefully I can press the new one in without taking it off the car. I've been told that it's not too difficult to do if I freeze it, grease it, and line it up carefully. Hopefully I can borrow the press from Autozone or something.

Right now, though, just getting that sucker out of there is all I care about!
          Sounds like a fun time .

Getting it out can be the easy part . When you go to press the new one in which ever way you go with that, be sure its going in straight. If its crooked start over, if you force it, it can "bubble" the end of the bushing which creates another headache for you. Once you get the rubber mess outta there you shouldnt have much of a problem getting it removed. Do you have a sawsall by a chance? That will make splitting the sleeve MUCH easier when you get to that point.

EDIT: Also, if your still digging at that rubber, dont pick and gouge it out, just run a screwdriver straight through the perimeter, all the way around. Then push the big chunks through.
          Last edited by ON_N20; 04-27-2012, 05:05 PM.
          ON_N20
          Nitrous = Been there. Turbo = Now. Nitrous + Turbo?... LOADING

Comment

Unfortunately, no. My friend may, but I doubt it. I was just going to slide a hacksaw blade through there.

Comment

Use a hole saw that fits only on the rubber portion, Hole saw made for wood works great on rubber, Lesser tooth count the more aggressive the cut will be.

Then just cut the sleeve out.

Comment

Good idea!

I ended up pulling the knuckle anyway. My friend showed me that we didn't need to undo the brake lines (I forgot that the lines only had to come off before because I did the disc swap, and we actually had to change the lines!)

We rented the $100 tool from Autozone and pressed that sucker out. Cut the sleeve, popped that out... pressed the new one in. It looks great, and fits well. Of course, now I screwed up ball joint (it's spinning) so I have to replace that now... fantastic!

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions in my attempt to halfass this repair!
                Ultimately, it's MUCH easier to take it off the car, as those with sense already said.

Comment

Good idea!

I ended up pulling the knuckle anyway. My friend showed me that we didn't need to undo the brake lines (I forgot that the lines only had to come off before because I did the disc swap, and we actually had to change the lines!)

I knew it! lol
                  What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

uslspct tends to talk sense into me when I'm trying to be lazy. He also usually ends up doing at least half the work as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X