Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Using 4 jacks safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using 4 jacks safe?

I want to change the MTF in my 2000 Prelude.. I've got the Prelude jack, a jack from my grandmas 07 CRV, a jack from my moms 09 coupe civic, and a jack from my 93 accord...

is there a proper way to do this, or is it just not a good idea...

It's a terrible idea.
    Jack stands are not expensive. Neither are ramps and wheel chocks. For what you need to do, either stands or ramps will work just fine. Never trust a jack to do anything but raise the car so a jackstand can be placed under it. ESPECIALLY if you're going to be crawling under the car!

Not too long ago, someone posted a story on an S2000 forum about a guy that was under his car, and the jack failed. He was crushed to death... though he didn't die instantly. The weight of the car essentially smothered him. NOT a pretty way to go out, and not something you want your loved ones to find unexpectedly!

Comment

Thanks, I was hoping someone would respond with an answer like this. I'm obviously no expert, but this settles it for me, "Never trust a jack to do anything but raise the car so a jackstand can be placed under it"..

So what makes a jack stand so much safer than a jack? Because they actual lock into place right?

The reason I'm changing my MTF is because it had metal shavings in it. I missed a gear, and now it grinds into 5th at high RPM's, and sometimes struggles to get into reverse with out grinding some.

I've seen a lot about using GM Syncromesh (w/ Friction Modifiers).. but idk. I just got 2 qts of Honda MTF at the dealership. Crossing my fingers on this

Comment

Syncromesh is reported to be better than Honda MTF, but both are good. Neither will fix physical damage, but it might help what's left work a bit better.

And yes, the jack stands are designed to hold the car up. They're locked in place, and planted solidly. No jack sits on as wide a base, and the jack is made to go up and down... occasionally, they may go down when you're not expecting it!

Comment

Would mixing a qt of each hurt?

Comment

I don't imagine it would. I don't know if it would be as effective, or if the mix would make it less effective... I don't know enough about that stuff to say for sure one way or the other.

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't want them to cancel each other out or something.. That might not be good.

Last question, so generally speaking, when I drain out my 2-3 qts.. How many is REALLY still in the car? 6? 9? I can't get an exact answer. I know it depends on the car, but let's say for a 2000 5 speed Prelude.. How much usually comes out when draining from the drain bolt? How much is still left?

Comment

A drain and fill is only 2 quarts (or 1.8...) I'm not 100% certain how much it holds (and I don't feel like running outside and uncovering my project car to get my Helm manual for the specifics), but it would be only slightly over 2 quarts total, I believe. You drain most of it when you remove the plug.

Automatics hold quite a bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by tlej@live.com View Post
                  I want to change the MTF in my 2000 Prelude.. I've got the Prelude jack, a jack from my grandmas 07 CRV, a jack from my moms 09 coupe civic, and a jack from my 93 accord...

is there a proper way to do this, or is it just not a good idea...
                  I thought about that also. I had 4 jacks from various cars and wanted to do a quick drain and fill. But I did not want to trust my life on it! I only had 2 jackstands and a ramp. Long story short, I ended up raising my rear with the ramp and using the jack stands for the fronts. It worked out well. I cant use the ramp for the front due to my front end being too low so i raised the car this way. Listen to deev and do not use a regular jack if you plan to go underneath the car.

Members' Ride Thread :http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...82#post2939682
                  My CB7 Tribute Vid..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqWFstSzLH8
                  Track ready EK..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoYKsoL0i7M

Comment

I've learned my lesson to never get underneath a car unless it is supported by jack stand. My mom bought me a new Craftsman 2 ton jack and that thing will raise a car but after a few minutes it loses pressure or something and begins to lower itself. I still use the jack but never without a jack stand.

Comment

No to Tue 4 jacks. Yes to the jackstands. My friend lost his father due to crawling under his race car with just a Jack and it slipped and crushed him ever since then I. Never get under a car without jackstands holding it up. I bitch at friends that Jack their cars up n start crawling under it without a jackstand. Just like explained its not worth loosing your life or your family coming home to find you crushed to death.

Comment

Dude, a pair of jack stands are only $17 at Sears.

Comment

The stock jacks are very dangerous. They not will take any side movement. I have tried using two of them as short stands when trying to get my Integra off the ground when layed out. When using a floor jack on the opposite end they folded over.

After that, I feel unsafe using them in an emergency.
                          Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

Originally posted by lucifer1 View Post
                            The stock jacks are very dangerous. They not will take any side movement. I have tried using two of them as short stands when trying to get my Integra off the ground when layed out. When using a floor jack on the opposite end they folded over.

After that, I feel unsafe using them in an emergency.
                            Just be smart when using the emergency jack in the trunk as it was only meant for a quick tire change on the side of the road. Of course you can't use it on a surface that was not hard or levelled as that's just dangerous. Also you do not want to be underneath the car when using that jack; keep your head and any extremities out from underneath the car when using it to change a tire and you should be safe unless some asshat t-bones the car and flips it on top of you as you'd be SOL in that case.

Comment

If you ever decide to use a jack, put the tire(s) underneath your car. friend of mine was doing a brake job, his Jack decided to lower the car on it's own. it landed right on the tire. if it didn't my friends legs would've been toast.

Never trust a factory Jack, only use it for it's intended purpose or if your car is lowered and you need it to raise the car to put the jack on it.

( I know it's common knowledge but it's just a friendly reminder. )

Comment

Working...
                              X