Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Replacing spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing spring

Hey guys, I was driving my car and it started to make a squeaking noise from the front drivers side wheel. I went to investigate the cause and took the tire off and saw that my spring was broken.
    Would I be fine with just being a spring http://www.*********.com/gbproducts/WC/5973-01070944.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_ content=YN&utm_campaign=*********+Google+Base&utm_ term=1990-1991+Honda+Accord+Coil+Spring+Genuine+W0133-1607663+Front+90-91+Honda+Coil+Spring&fp=pp&gbm=a&gclid=CLuv4feFzbI CFehDMgodvk0AEg and taking the strut out and using a spring compressor to put the new one on? Thanks

[IMG][/IMG] FTW!
    Last edited by 07.350; 09-24-2012, 11:45 AM.

Comment

First, you should read up on how to properly post pictures on this forum.

Get ready for this to cost you pretty big. You won't need a spring compressor for that spring and shock assembly but once you get it off you'll likely find that the shock is bad after 20 years of use and will need to be replaced also. Since that's the case, it is likely the case with the rest of your shocks also. That spring looks pretty rusted and if the others look that way too then you should consider replacing them as well.

With all that considered, you can either go with parts store stuff to get the OEM ride quality restored or you can go aftermarket and consider a setup that will lower your car and give it a more performance-minded ride. There are many options to consider but when these cars get old crap just starts happening to them.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm looking to keep it the cheapest possible because, I only drive this car in the rain and snow. I'd prefer not to put a lot of money into it so could I get away with just replacing the strut and spring or would that cause more problems? Thanks

Comment

will you be replacing the strut and spring at the same time for both sides of the front?

Comment

Yes, I was going to replace both the front driver and passenger sides.

Comment

Then that's probably alright for how often you drive it. It also comes down to what you hope to get out of this car over its life. And for that matter, how long you plan to own it.
              My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

The easiest would be to find a replacement at a local salvage yard. Try looking for accords that had the shocks replaced.

You'll almost always see some with KYB GR2 shocks (grey colored shock body) Those are good quality replacements.

Instead of spending hundreds on new suspension, when I wasn't making a lot of money as an intern last year, I looked for a good condition accord in the JY and bought the entire springs/shock combo from all 4 corners and swapped them directly onto my car. A lot less work too since you won't have to rent a spring compressor to remove your springs and install new ones. That would be the cheapest route.

Cost me about 50 bucks for all 4. A lot better than riding with blown shocks and in your case, a broken spring...which is even more dangerous.

member's ride thread
                93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                91 Accord SE 176k
                97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to check out a few local junkyards.

Comment

Don't waste your money on junkyard stuff if it's clearly old, as it could be no better than what you have. But Losiracer2 is right, you'll often find decent replacement parts in the junkyard.
                    A junkyard spring would probably be just fine. Your situation is very uncommon. These springs rarely fail like that. Brand new shocks would be smartest, though.

Be prepared to replace any damaged ball joints (if the boot is torn, the joint must be replaced, without question.) Also be prepared to replace one or both axles (about $75 at most parts stores for a remanufactured one.) I've done about 7 Accord suspension replacements in my time, and I've damaged axles on 3 of them. If the axle pulls apart at the joint, it's often not possible to pop it back in... and many people say that if you do pop it back in, it's only a matter of time before it fails. Best to replace it.

Also, plan on getting an alignment done once you've replaced all you need to replace. Any suspension work should be followed by an alignment. A $70 alignment is cheaper than two $70 tires!

Comment

Working...
                    X