Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Head/motor problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head/motor problems

So i have a 1990 accord EX and it has a bad head.. i bought a 1992 accord EX that is running fine but the body is in bad shape to use as parts. i have had two people come look at it one guy said the 92's head would work on my 90 the other guy told me i had to change the whole motor. anyone on here know who is right? i do know that my 1990's is a F22A4 & the 1992's is a F22A6

Yes, you can use that head....but your going to need the ECU from the 92 and you're are going to have to wire up the IAB system. Don't worry, it's only 2 wires and there's a how to on here somewhere. And you need to use the 92's intake manifold as well, and the black box that's bolted to the bottom of it. Would be helpful to take the connector for the box from the wiring harness.
    Last edited by dj_ender; 03-30-2013, 06:32 PM.
    Originally posted by Mishakol129
    Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

The heads themselves are identical. The 92 has a better camshaft and intake manifold. Paired with the ECU from the 92, you'll see a power increase of 10hp or so over your old engine.

Comment

So it can be swapped out without having to change the ECU and intake and other stuff?

Comment

You COULD, but why not add everything to make it run correctly? The ECU is as simple as unplugging the old one and plugging the new one in. And you are already going to have the head off, why not use the appropriate manifold?
          Originally posted by Mishakol129
          Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

If you want it to run correctly with the intake manifold and ECU you have now, you'll want to use the camshaft from your current engine.

I'd use the parts from the 92, as they're made to work together, and you'll get a bit more power. You'll essentially be turning your F22A4 into an F22A6. Those are the 3 most important parts.

Comment

I did it. Anybody can. Search and read up on it. Took me about 5 hours total.

steve

Comment

Thanks for the information..LOL, I have drove it for 12 years with out the extra power so i think i can live without it. I just want it to run like it always has. mechanics around here aren't the greatest & i am not at all mechanically inclined. i just wanna make sure he knows what he is talking about

Comment

It would probably be faster to just swap the motors, that way you dont have to take the crank pully off and take apart the head. Not to mention having to replace the head gasket and other things. Unless you were going to replace the water pump and timing belt anyway then the time difference might not matter much.

Comment

I have to ask how many miles are on each, it may end up being best to take the lower end off the 92 if its younger. Also if you do not take the 92 ECU, I would not be surprised to see a loss in power, since the computer in your car is calibrated for the standard camshaft, not the a6 high profile camshaft. This would be amplified if you used the a6 manifold and not the ECU, the smaller low speed runner would not perform well with the ECU, and not being able to open the larger runners at high RPM's would essentially choke the engine at high speeds. Even if you don't lose noticeable power, economy would definitely suffer if the engine is not controlled properly.

Comment

Originally posted by splk_37 View Post
                      Thanks for the information..LOL, I have drove it for 12 years with out the extra power so i think i can live without it. I just want it to run like it always has. mechanics around here aren't the greatest & i am not at all mechanically inclined. i just wanna make sure he knows what he is talking about
                      It will be MORE work to swap all your F22A4 parts over to the F22A6 head...

But regardless, you've gotten your information. You know what you want to do. I'll stop beating a dead horse and offering help that you didn't ask for. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by splk_37 View Post
                        by around here ...

did you mean Tampa or Kentucky ?

In Need of an engine, just a basic f22a...pm me if you have one willing to part with.

Comment

Originally posted by Sordz View Post
                          It would probably be faster to just swap the motors, that way you dont have to take the crank pully off and take apart the head. Not to mention having to replace the head gasket and other things. Unless you were going to replace the water pump and timing belt anyway then the time difference might not matter much.
                          This.

Seems more logical to swap especially if the motor is really that good.

Internal stuff can be a pain, if you do go the head only route, Plastic baggies and a permanent marker is a godsend lol

Whatever you decide, mechanically inclined or not, Now is as good a time as any to learn. Im 22 years old and 4 years ago when i married 12gage i didn't know jack about cars, now, I have got my fair share of motor and tranny swaps under my belt and can completely disassemble and reinstall the entire suspension on a Honda. (you guys might find that trivial, but im proud as hell) My specialty is radiators, fastest time so far is 25 min flat.

Point is, If I can do it, you sure as hell can

And you'll save lots and lots of money for the rest of your life.

edit: I forgot! Download the HELMs manual for our accord, If you can read you can do it.
                          I'm sure its somewhere on the internet if i find it ill post the download link.
                          Last edited by Mrs12gage; 03-31-2013, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kapone View Post
                            by around here ...

did you mean Tampa or Kentucky ?
                            I was talking about KY... But have had some bad work done in cheval florida as well

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs12gage View Post
                              This.

Seems more logical to swap especially if the motor is really that good.

Internal stuff can be a pain, if you do go the head only route, Plastic baggies and a permanent marker is a godsend lol

Whatever you decide, mechanically inclined or not, Now is as good a time as any to learn. Im 22 years old and 4 years ago when i married 12gage i didn't know jack about cars, now, I have got my fair share of motor and tranny swaps under my belt and can completely disassemble and reinstall the entire suspension on a Honda. (you guys might find that trivial, but im proud as hell) My specialty is radiators, fastest time so far is 25 min flat.

Point is, If I can do it, you sure as hell can

And you'll save lots and lots of money for the rest of your life.

edit: I forgot! Download the HELMs manual for our accord, If you can read you can do it.
                              I'm sure its somewhere on the internet if i find it ill post the download link.
                              Do you know if it will swap right out or will i have to do something else.. asking because the 1992 has ABS and the 90 don't and the 1990 has sports on the trans and the 92 don't. will that mess with anything when i have the motor swapped? Sorry i am asking so much

Comment

Working...
                              X