Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

f23a1 to replace f22b1 Easy swap right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

f23a1 to replace f22b1 Easy swap right?

I got a really good deal on a (f23a1 Vtec) with less than 100k miles out of a 99 accord. The (f22b1 Vtec) in my 96 accord is blown so I got the f23 to swap out.
    To the best of my knowledge the trans will bolt right on and the motor mounts are the same. If i remember correctly I need to plate off the IAC and i think there was a knock sensor or something on the back side that i may need to plug off as well. I might have to swap the f22 Disi and i think spin the fuel rail around.
    Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong here. As a little background I had a boosted H22a in a 90 accord that i built from the ground up but that was in 2004 so a lot of the details are blurry. This swap is very similar to the H swap but with a lot less cost and a lot more room in the engine bay.

So do I have the basics correct?
    I do have a chipped ECU but it has a boosted h22 map on it so I would have to get a new map burnt on to my chip unless the f22 ecu will work. This i am not sure of.
    So any ideas from you guys?

Seeing as this forum is focused on 90-93 Accords, you might not get the most accurate information here.

For the ECU, you'd be best off using the proper ECU for the F23A1. One benefit to your car being OBD2 is that you CAN use the correct ECU (the OBD1 guys here can't do that.) The F22B1's ECU can work as well (it's what many OBD1 guys use with F23A1 swaps, since the F22B1 came in OBD1 as well.) but the proper ECU is always best. Running a chipped ECU on a new swap is never a good idea.

CD5tuner.com might prove to be more help to you (you have to email to get an account there at the moment.)

Comment

The only problem with the proper ECU is that it has an immobilizer.

It looks like you're on the right track here. Try to retain the F23 intake manifold, as it flows better than the B1 intake. F23A1 is a great engine.
      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

As said above, use the F23A1 manifold. Do not block the IACV unless your ECU doesn't look for it. Otherwise get the adapter plate from Rosko Racing or another vendor that will allow you to use your 2-wire unit on the manifold designed for the 3-wire IACV. The fuel rail will just be your current fuel rail. I'm surprised you couldn't figure this method of avoiding the process of modifying a fuel rail if, like you've said, you owned an Accord with an H22A swap.

To get around the immobilizer issue you can run the JDM version of this ECU or you can just use the F22B1 OBD2 ECU. I can't imagine this is focused on performance so with everyday driving you will be good. If you want to peg the rev limiter every ten seconds then you'll need to have your chipped ECU tuned.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

If you want to peg the rev limiter every ten seconds, you'd be better off with a more suitable engine!

I had an Accord with an F23A1 in it once. I was not impressed.

Comment

Well, the 6th gen Accord is a tank compared to a CB7!

My gf's 2.3CL is no slouch, but its certainly not a racecar either. Has some get up and go when the AC is off.

150 hp @ 5700 rpm and 152 lb·ft @ 4900 rpm is more than any US CB7/CD5 came with, and is the best power output of the F23A series. It also has roller rockers, which surprised me when I took the valve cover off.
            Last edited by Accrdwgnguy; 06-05-2013, 07:37 PM.
            1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
              I'm surprised you couldn't figure this method of avoiding the process of modifying a fuel rail if, like you've said, you owned an Accord with an H22A swap.

If I recall correctly on my h22 swap i had to just spin the stock fuel rail around until i put on a aftermarket. I assumed it would be the same I have not pulled the blown motor yet and haven't looked at them close enough to compare YET.
              this swap is purely a daily driver. If the car was a manual trans then id think about tuning it again but its not so this is 100% just to get me around.
              BTW what happened to the forum based out of Jacksonville NC called performancefreaks.com

Comment

Originally posted by MyVtec8yourV8 View Post
                BTW what happened to the forum based out of Jacksonville NC called performancefreaks.com
                Ummm, we don't know?
                '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
                If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                  Well, the 6th gen Accord is a tank compared to a CB7!

My gf's 2.3CL is no slouch, but its certainly not a racecar either. Has some get up and go when the AC is off.

150 hp @ 5700 rpm and 152 lb·ft @ 4900 rpm is more than any US CB7/CD5 came with, and is the best power output of the F23A series. It also has roller rockers, which surprised me when I took the valve cover off.
                  f22b1 also has roller rockers.
                  Originally posted by wed3k
                  im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

So what all would be sellable off the blown f22? Keep in mind that its not completely blown. It's just got some bad oil leaks and a leaking head gasket. Most likely from a slightly warped head.

Comment

Nothing of value there, unfortunately.
                      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                        Nothing of value there, unfortunately.
                        not even the distributor? I dont knwo yet if i will need to use the disi off the f22 or not but surely one of the 2 disi should be worth something.

also what is the "IMMOBILIZER" that people talk about?

Comment

Pull head from engine, toss it, scrap it or sell it, find a f22X head, intake and exhaust manifold. Make to work in your chassis....using your existing harness on the new engine setup.

Comment

Originally posted by IBCNYA View Post
                            Pull head from engine, toss it, scrap it or sell it, find a f22X head, intake and exhaust manifold. Make to work in your chassis....using your existing harness on the new engine setup.
                            As i said I already bought a running full f23 to put in it. I paid less than it would cost to change the head gasket let along buying another head.

Comment

Originally posted by MyVtec8yourV8 View Post
                              also what is the "IMMOBILIZER" that people talk about?
                              Basically, it means the proper F23A1 ECU won't work after it's been removed from the proper car. I'm sure someone at Honda could fix that for you, but they might not... seeing as the engine doesn't belong in your car.

Comment

Working...
                              X