Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Engine Dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Dies

What happens is I can start it one time and it starts perfectly, Drives just fine. But after I take it around the block and park it in the driveway and kill it, and try to start it again, it starts but then dies immediately after. If I let it sit for like 30 seconds, it usually starts just fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

345,000 miles and counting...

Check to see if the no-start is due to a lack of spark or a lack of fuel.

Do you hear your fuel pump go on when you turn the key? When the weather heats up, it's common for the main relay to fail. That's usually the first thing to check.

Comment

where is the main relay?

Comment

Under the dash, to the left of the steering wheel.

Comment

how do you check if it is bad?

Comment

This happened to me before and it was the main relay.

Comment

is the main relay the same as the main "fuel" relay?

Comment

Originally posted by Ster56 View Post
                how do you check if it is bad?
                Change it with another one, if it works, then it was a bad main relay

Comment

This site may shed some light to your question.
                  http://techauto.tripod.com/
                  A&P-IA

Comment

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post
                    This site may shed some light to your question.
                    http://techauto.tripod.com/
                    Right... So I think it is the main relay. The symptoms sound exactly like my car. I will look into getting another one and see if that fixes it. Thanks!

Comment

It's quite simple to pop the cover off the main relay and look around. Both times my relay has died, I could easily see a burnt solder point, and both times I re-soldered. (different connections) Saved myself $40 each time.

10.2:1 F-series, 417whp, 398lb/ft Single-Cam on pump gas

Comment

Originally posted by J_Hart View Post
                        It's quite simple to pop the cover off the main relay and look around. Both times my relay has died, I could easily see a burnt solder point, and both times I re-soldered. (different connections) Saved myself $40 each time.
                        Alright, I will look at it. Thanks!

Comment

Right. So I pulled it out. Here is a picture of the soldering points. Tell me if you see anything wrong. the whole board is coated with some nasty hard brown crap.

Comment

I don't see any obvious signs of arcing in that pic, though that's not to say something inside one of the relays hasn't gone bad. Does everything look good on the top side as well?

10.2:1 F-series, 417whp, 398lb/ft Single-Cam on pump gas

Comment

Originally posted by J_Hart View Post
                              I don't see any obvious signs of arcing in that pic, though that's not to say something inside one of the relays hasn't gone bad. Does everything look good on the top side as well?
                              Yeah. The 7 pins look good. I can't take the brown part off to check anything else, at least I don't think...

Comment

Working...
                              X