Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Chipped camshaft holder - help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chipped camshaft holder - help

I recent bought an F22A6 cylinder head, as part of a NA engine build I am gathering parts for . Unfortunately, the idiot who shipped it to me didn't tighten down the camshaft holder bolts. During shipping, the camshaft broke two chips off of the #6 camshaft holder.

The chips are on the portion of the holder that locates the camshaft and keeps it from moving laterally. Hopefully, you can see this on the attached pictures. The first picture is shot from above. The chips are the lighter areas above the camshaft locator groove (the middle groove) on both sides. The second picture is looking down the end through camshaft holder #6. About 40% of the circumference of the wall around the centering groove is gone, about 40% is intact, and about 20% is partially there.

I am hoping that the experts out there can tell me if it is OK to use this camshaft holder. The only purpose of this flange on the camshaft and the corresponding groove on the camshaft holder is to keep the camshaft centered. I don't think the lateral forces are very high. Would it be safe to use this? Or should I replace camshaft holder #6?

The problem with replacing it is that Honda makes the cylinder head and camshaft holders as a set. You can't buy them from Honda, so I would have to get one used and then either take a chance that it is round or have it line bored. I would prefer to avoid this hassle if possible.

I would replace that piece personally.
    Originally posted by Mishakol129
    Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Those pieces are usually bored specifically for the camshaft, so replacing it with another might result in binding.

Comment

There's good amount of meat left on it that it would be OK to hold the camshaft in place.
        I would bitch to the seller, get some discount for the damage. And would use it as is.
        I may use a Swiss file to take off sharp edge if there's any.
        A&P-IA

Comment

I did complain to the seller and he did give me $50 back. I think he was an OK guy, just a ditz.

I'll be paying Pure Tuning in Toledo, OH to do the head work, so I'll let them worry about filing down any sharp edges.

I just want to know if I should get another F22A head or if I can still use this one.

Comment

If you are taking the head to a shop, let them make the decision whether you need another head or not.
            If it was me doing the work for my own engine, I wouldn't worry much.
            If it was for a customer, I'd get another head, just so that the customer will not give me a shit for cracked parts being used.
            A&P-IA

Comment

Ive seen worse and people still put them back in and ride out. Just remember to put assembly lube when assembling it back together.

Comment

Working...
              X