Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

straight pipe with headers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

straight pipe with headers?

Im gonna get some headers for my f22a6 (all stock) and my car is straight piped with 2 3/4" piping all the way through. So my question is, when i get my headers should i put a cat converter on to have some back pressure? Or just leave it like that and have no back pressure at all??

Originally posted by jdmjimenez View Post
    Im gonna get some headers for my f22a6 (all stock) and my car is straight piped with 2 3/4" piping all the way through. So my question is, when i get my headers should i put a cat converter on to have some back pressure? Or just leave it like that and have no back pressure at all??
    I suggest having a resonator to avoid raspy exhaust.

Also a cat, most states it's illegal to not have one. Where I live we don't have emission laws, but stick to a hi flow cat and don't go bigger then 2.25 piping unless your heavily modified. I think our cats are pretty free flowing to begin with.

Back pressure is a big no no, you don't want any of it. If your motors not heavily modified the large diameter piping you have will turn your exhaust gas into turbulence or back pressure. Killing your low end power.

As for headers, it's not something you want to buy off of ebay unless you know it's a quality part.

The same physics applied into flow velocity of an exhaust I explained above are applied but are also more complex, stick to oem a6 headers until you can get one custom made or buy one well designed.
    Last edited by MrMagnificent; 10-30-2013, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Never mind i ment 2 1/4 piping lol sorry and as for the headers i wont even touch cheap ebay headers. I was thinking about magen headers.

Comment

back pressure=torque is a myth, but you are describing it incorrectly anyway.

Our cars only have 1 header.

also, ebay headers are still ok to use, especially considering the almost complete lack of anything else on the market. a Megan or DC header is onlybetter in workmanship, Bisi headers are the only ones that have been shown to make any real power.

You should run a cat. I didn't before I took my car off the road, and even with my greddy cat-back, I hated the sound and how loud it was.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
        Originally posted by Stephen Fry
        'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
        Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

I thought u needed SOME back pressure

Comment

I thought u needed SOME back pressure
            you need velocity, not backpressure.

'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry

Comment

Then ill stick with the straight pipe. I just dont like how loud it is. How would i shut it up?

Comment

Then ill stick with the straight pipe. I just dont like how loud it is. How would i shut it up?
                a cat, a resonator, and a muffler.

edit: or a turbo

Comment

Thats a future plan also but i gotta take cate of other things first.

Comment

dont do it!
                    i straight piped my car 2.25 with gutted cat
                    1 year later....burnt piston rings and compression is 130psi and keeps going down

i suggest at LEAST 2.5" with a cat AND a resonator where the muffler would go and/or a muffler period.
                    -Tyler

Comment

Originally posted by tm123 View Post
                      dont do it!
                      i straight piped my car 2.25 with gutted cat
                      1 year later....burnt piston rings and compression is 130psi and keeps going down

i suggest at LEAST 2.5" with a cat AND a resonator where the muffler would go and/or a muffler period.
                      That's weird...

You don't "need" backpressure. That's a myth, rather a less understood topic. You are looking for good scavenging, not backpressure.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Dude a word of friendly advice... "Don't do it" Unless you want the Police up in your business.
                        I was born to roll

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                          That's weird...

You don't "need" backpressure. That's a myth, rather a less understood topic. You are looking for good scavenging, not backpressure.
                          dead nuts explanation there. people often mistake the concept of flow and velocity in regards to exhaust, with the need for back pressure. Exhaust exits the ports in a uncontrolled rate this is where flow and velocity of the exhaust system comes in . If your exhaust is to big you will lose control of the velocity which creates a disruptive pulse that can even go as far as creating a reversion pulse.
                          WWW.JDMCONCEPTS.COM
                          Keep .It. Simple. Stupid =K.I.S.S

Comment

Originally posted by Born2RoLL View Post
                            Dude a word of friendly advice... "Don't do it" Unless you want the Police up in your business.
                            exactly

if you want to know how loud it will be just disconnect you down pipe from the cat and start the car, you will have your answer there
                            http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Im just gonna get a cat converter when i get my headers n call it a day. When its time for smog ill just swith out the headers and put on my exhaust manifold.

Comment

Working...
                              X