Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

After fixing main relay.. Car always drained battery.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After fixing main relay.. Car always drained battery.

Ok after soldering main relay (7 days ago) I noticed that my battery is always drained out and have to jump start or recharge the battery everyday. I don't know what causes this problem. New battery (less than a yr.) pls. help!

You have excessive current draw, that's what is killing your battery.

The two shouldn't have any correlation. Can you tell us any more about your situation?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

The last time I had that issue, the culprit was my starter. Apparently it's common for a failing starter to be the source of a power drain. It's merely as guess at this point, as there isn't enough information provided to really make an accurate diagnosis... but it's something to look out for.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        The last time I had that issue, the culprit was my starter. Apparently it's common for a failing starter to be the source of a power drain. It's merely as guess at this point, as there isn't enough information provided to really make an accurate diagnosis... but it's something to look out for.
        Starter works fine.. I was thinking maybe the car alarm. I have aftermarket alarm installed.. after so many yrs. I lost the remotes and never use it after that.. I will try to disable and unhook it.

Comment

I had my compustar alarm hooked up and I think it eventually killed my battery, however, my car was sitting up for a while not being started or ran...

I unhooked it just to be sure but I really don't think that was an issue.

Didn't know that bit about the starter failing.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
            I had my compustar alarm hooked up and I think it eventually killed my battery, however, my car was sitting up for a while not being started or ran...

I unhooked it just to be sure but I really don't think that was an issue.

Didn't know that bit about the starter failing.
            never had this problem before until I soldered that main relay. is there anything in the main relay that causes the battery to drain?

Comment

Ok....I have decided to drop 2 cents. I don't know how the main relay would relate but it might. When you shut the car off after a drive listen for the fuel pump humming. If you hear it open the gas cap. If you don't my two cents is worthless.
              ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Originally posted by KuLaPhU View Post
                never had this problem before until I soldered that main relay. is there anything in the main relay that causes the battery to drain?
                What was wrong with the main relay that caused you to solder it? That would help us diagnose the main relay as the culprit.

It's possible that when you soldered the main relay you created a short circuit between two points that would cause power draw and drain the battery. This would be fairly obvious to anyone who has worked with electronics like this before though. Give us your thoughts on that; are you handy with electronics and a soldering iron?

Otherwise, you could try swapping main relays; if the problem goes away, then you've found the culprit. You could also try unhooking the main relay when you leave the car, and then plugging it back in when you're ready to leave. If the battery stays charged, then we can suspect the relay, or something down stream from it (like the starter).
                Last edited by reklipz; 02-26-2014, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X