Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Need help rewiring o2 plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help rewiring o2 plug

Does anyone know if I can splice into one of the wires on either the driver or passenger shock tower, that'll lead to the ecu?

I'm thinking this is my best attempt to keep the plug from being covered in oil.

A bit of history: A while back I had a cel for the o2 sensor. I replaced it with a denso sensor, and everything was great for a short period of time. Now I'm getting a cel again, and after checking my plug, I found its saturated in oil.

I have a 90 ex accord, and from what I've read on this forum is that on this model/year accord, if you ever have an oil leak, it'll travel down the wires into the plug for the o2 sensor, causing resistance and a cel.

I just came from underneath the car, and the wires are still wet, which means I have to find the leak as my second fix. I did make a replacement plug, and my original plan was to depin the ecu plugs and wire the o2 straight in. After looking at a diagram, the green and black wires from the o2 sensor don't wire straight to the ecu, meaning that they have a couple junctions.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

edit: forgot to add a picture of my o2 plug http://imgur.com/MygCelD.jpg
    Last edited by homer15908; 06-19-2014, 06:03 PM.

Fixing the oil leak should be the first fix since it fixes two of your concerns. (the oil leak and the oil saturated plug.)

You shouldn't mess with the o2 wiring as the sensor depends on a specific resistance to function correctly.

A quick fix would be to add some silicone to the wires where they enter the plug, essentially providing an extra barrier for the oil to overcome.
    Last edited by sonikaccord; 06-19-2014, 08:34 PM.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
      Fixing the oil leak should be the first fix since it fixes two of your concerns. (the oil leak and the oil saturated plug.)

You shouldn't mess with the o2 wiring as the sensor depends on a specific resistance to function correctly.

A quick fix would be to add some silicone to the wires where they enter the plug, essentially providing an extra barrier for the oil to overcome.
      its funny you mention the silicone. I was thinking of doing that with the new plug that I wanted to wire in.

I was hoping by soldering in the new plug that the resistance would stay the same?

The only thing I'm worried about is if the oil is inside the wire's insulation. If that were the case, then the silicone wouldn't help.

I'll try to track the oil leak tomorrow morning, and post here with what I find.

Any specific type of silicone that's recommended?

Comment

I suppose soldering would work. It's much better than crimping. I would only do that as a final resort. solder itself is fairly resistive compared to copper, you would add a small amount of resistance. Will it affect the signal? Not sure. Haven't tried it myself.

90 ex, your o2 sensor is below the oil filter. That narrows it down a bit at least.

I recommend rtv black or whatever kind that is used to seal up oil pans. It should be oil resistant

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I suppose soldering would work. It's much better than crimping. I would only do that as a final resort. solder itself is fairly resistive compared to copper, you would add a small amount of resistance. Will it affect the signal? Not sure. Haven't tried it myself.

90 ex, your o2 sensor is below the oil filter. That narrows it down a bit at least.

I recommend rtv black or whatever kind that is used to seal up oil pans. It should be oil resistant
          no oil around the oil filter. seems to be higher. maybe the valve cover gasket? I'll check in the morning. Good suggestion on the rtv black. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Yeah I would say VC gasket too. If you can, get the block as clean as possible, it may make tracking the leak down easier.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Yeah I would say VC gasket too. If you can, get the block as clean as possible, it may make tracking the leak down easier.
              Thanks for your help sonikaccord.

I havn't found the leak yet, but after cleaning the plug, and putting rtv black silicone on the end of the plug, I'm still getting the same cel for the o2 sensor.

I decided I'm going to pick up an extra wire harness, preferred without oil on the wires, and attach the plug I made to that harness, and swap harnesses.

The only question I have now is on the differences between the wire harnesses from different years/trims on the accord. I know the non-ex's have the o2 plug on the front of the motor, but thats about it.

Comment

I believe the genders are different, but I'm not 100&#37; sure.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Working...
                X