Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

H2U5 terribly noisy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H2U5 terribly noisy

User Granite CB7 described an issue very similar to mine in a post i found during a search.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showpost...06&postcount=9

93 LX, H2U5 tranny. Just swapped the car to a manual. Angle on axles is ok, i made the correct measurements when welding on the tranny mount.

Essentially it sounds like my ring and pinion or whatever the final drive gears happen to be are damaged badly. Directly proportional to vehicle speed, not engine speed, in all 5 gears. Mainly audiable above 15 mph. Fairly quiet though not totally quiet when coasting in neutral. Shifts perfect no grinds. Ran car with front wheels off of ground. Noise is definitely in tranny. Can take video

I can believe theres damage. The car i got the swap from was BEAT. Engine runs ok though.

Just brainstorming. I'm going to have to throw a transmission at it, but has anyone else experienced this?

I haven't heard much around here regarding noisy transmissions. Usually the noise comes from the intermediate shaft as that's beginning to fail.
    Might be worth taking a look at that before you commit to replacing or tearing down the transmission.

Comment

That's the piece that connects the driver's side axle to the transmission, right? When I had it running up in the air, it didn't matter whether I let the driver's side or passenger side wheel spin, the noise still happened. Which is unfortunate, the intermediate shaft is a very easy replacement.

Regardless, ill take a second look and I appreciate the information. I like to learn.

I know Civics have problems with input shaft bearings, but that'd be proportional to RPM, not vehicle speed. Oh well

Comment

when i put redline MTL in my tranny, i believe it was 75W80 or some crazy heavy weight, my bearings on the mainshaft and countershaft probably went. I was unaware back then that you weren't supposed to put anything above 10w30 in.

I heard a very loud whining noise in all gears at all speeds. Not to mention my third gear was popping out.

Only got the tranny for 100 so i wasn't too worried, actually sold it for 150 in that condition, guy was going to rebuild so it didn't matter to him.

member's ride thread
        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
        91 Accord SE 176k
        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

I had thick gear oil added to my transmission by a shop in the first few years that I owned my car (meaning I didn't know any better!) It caused the gears to grind when shifting until it had fully warmed up, but otherwise made no noise.

Comment

drained my tranny fluid today in preparation to replace the transmission

a lot of metal came out.

guessing main or counter shaft bearings at this point. picking up used transmission tomorrow. sadly its an H2A5, not a U5, oh well. i wont notice a difference.

Comment

That sucks. I hoped it would be something simple, but it sounds like the internals are definitely borked.

There's not a huge difference between the H2A5 and H2U5, though. It's not like you're going from an M2B4 (LSD) to an H2A5!

Comment

now im wondering what happened to my swap before hand.... i bought my car with a blown engine, automatic, and swapped the engine and trans at once. engine looked great inside, down to the crank and bearings.

how do you break a h2u5 so badly? lol

Comment

That old H2U5 was the original tranny to my old 93 EX. I had bought the car on eBay, which I'll never do again or at least be way more cautious! The car came up from Tennessee on a car carrier. Right off the truck every single upshift and downshift was grinding like you wouldn't believe. Just guessing here, but the fluid had to be 80 or 90 weight, it was like molasses. I have no clue how long that fluid was in there for but that's definitely what eventually killed it. I did manage to get an extra 80K miles out of the tranny using honda MTF which made a huge difference and I swear by it. Towards the end of its life, it sorta sounded like it had straight cut gears inside! Very loud.

Comment

thick fluid will naturally play hell on synchros. mine was absolutely perfect on 5w30, except for the noise. ill tear into it one day, just throwing a new trans in for now because i am currently paying to insure the car

Comment

got my new transmission in. no more noise. will tear into the old one and report back

Comment

Working...
                      X