Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Question about Main Key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Main Key

Hello all. I am new to accords (cars in general). I recently purchased a 1991 Honda Accord EX. I've been lurking for about a month, trying to learn a bit about the 4th gen accord.

I have a question regarding my key.
    The key that I received upon purchasing the car was a valet key, or I at least I think so. It can only open the driver's side door and turn on the car. This key does not open anything else (trunk, glove, trunk/gas latches, back seat). So I've been looking and I came across a thread that suggested that I get a new main key at the dealer.
    So yesterday I head to the dealer and after parting 10.99 for a key I wound up with a key that opens everthing in my car (trunk, doors, etc.). Everything except the ignition.
    I was thinking that maybe the ignition thingy was changed. However, how is it that this "main key" opens up the same door that that the valet key opens but does not turn on the car?
    Any ideas?
    Do i have to go to locksmith and have them alter my main key?
    thanks a lot.

This is ONE interesting question .. sounds to me like the ignition on your car is differnet,
    then again, your *valet* key works, and the stealership one doesnt ...
    I'm baffled as well ..

Ummm Uncle Mikey? Got an answer for this guy? I'm stumped ..

BTW .. welcome to CB7T !!!

A Hui Hou !!!
    Tomi

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Yeah that is weird.

I went to the dealer too to get a brand new key made. At the stealership they have your key on file, meaning if you give them your VIN #, they make you a key...

maybe something is jammed in the ignition? try running a carfax...is your vehicle title clear? or does it have a salvage, stolen recovery?

welcome to cb7tuner!

1990 Accord Lx F22a1(Daily) SOLD - will be missed
      1990 Prelude Si B21a1 (Fun car!)

Comment

Hmmn, interesting. If something were jammed in the ignition, wouldn't it also block the "valet" key?
        Yeah, the car has a salvaged title. I wonder how if that could have something to do with it.

Comment

compare the two keys, the valet key should match part of the main key...

what it might be, is that after 13 years our keys and such get worn smooth... maybe since your new key is sharp and brand new, it might be harder to get it to work in the old locks... have you noticed that it got kinda stuck in the doors and stuff but would work after jiggling it/moving it a bit? im trying to think about it, and i cant come up with any possible way for new keys to be cut to work in all the same locks, minus one, but plus other ones too... it may be due to the ignition switch being really complex compared to the other locks, it has a column lock pin, 4 positions, etc etc etc... lots of little pins and clips and whatnot to jam up and not line up properly making it so the key doesnt turn... try putting it in and jiggling it around, twist the steering wheel a little bit while trying. when i had a new key cut, i had to pull it out SLIGHTLY for it to work in the ignition, while it worked well in the other locks.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by roboaccord
            Hmmn, interesting. If something were jammed in the ignition, wouldn't it also block the "valet" key?
            Yeah, the car has a salvaged title. I wonder how if that could have something to do with it.
            Well, if it has a salvaged title, then it was probably stolen before, or something bad happen to the Accord...thus, i was assuming someone broke the ignition, and screwed up the tumblers and locks in the ingnition key hole...

:::bleh:::

1990 Accord Lx F22a1(Daily) SOLD - will be missed
            1990 Prelude Si B21a1 (Fun car!)

Comment

well, I tried using the key like mike said. No go. It just sits there. I can't even turn it. The "valet" key turns the ignition on no problem. I know that my ignition locks sometimes and I have to move the steering wheel to get my "valet" key to turn. Hmmm, I guess like accord13 said someone must have messed up the ignition when /if they tried to steal it. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to resign myself to keeping both keys with me at all times.
              Unless there is something else I can try.

Comment

Working...
              X