Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Replaced main relay, still won't start!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replaced main relay, still won't start!

Ok here's the deal. I'm trying to help AccordAnimal out with his 92 accord LX. The guy he bought the car from said that occasionally it would just die and sometimes it would start right up and sometimes it would take a while. He said the hotter it was the worse the problem was. Adam(accordanimal) drove the car around and to work, approx 20-30 mins. When he got to the parking lot at work the car just died. It wouldn't restart...just cranked. He managed to push it into a spot. We both figured it was the Main Relay since that's all we had read about on here. I picked one up and replaced it, and it's still not starting. The car cranks and cranks, but it doesn't even "pop" or "sputter" like it's trying to run. (You know, when you crank and it kinda starts and then dies, it doesn't do that...it just stays at a constant crank.) I checked and the fuel pump is turning on. What else could it be? I'm thinking spark, how can I check that? Just pull the plugs out and set them on the top of the engine and watch for spark? To check for fuel what is something easy I can do? Should I just pull a fuel line off of somewhere and see if fuel gets pushed out when we try and start the car? Any help would be appreciated guys! Thanks!! The battery was just replaced yesterday before he went to work.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SuperTuner12010
    But the cat robs my horses.
    1991 Honda Accord LX Sedan w/5 speed transmission

When you turn the key once, do you hear the, "HISS" of the main relay/fuel?
    I dont mean to crank it, i mean, one turn of the key is the "on" position no? you should hear the main relay click...

...if you dont hear that, maybe you wired the main relay wrong? im stumped too...new battery...tested the alternator?

NO! dont start the car with exposed spark plugs/wires...or an exposed fuel filter line...

Edit: Do you have an aftermarket alarm system all up integrated into the main relay? just a thought...
    Last edited by Accord13&BA4; 04-27-2006, 04:31 PM.

1990 Accord Lx F22a1(Daily) SOLD - will be missed
    1990 Prelude Si B21a1 (Fun car!)

Comment

Originally posted by Accord13&BA4
      When you turn the key once, do you hear the, "HISS" of the main relay/fuel?
      I dont mean to crank it, i mean, one turn of the key is the "on" position no? you should hear the main relay click...

...if you dont hear that, maybe you wired the main relay wrong? im stumped too...new battery...tested the alternator?

NO! dont start the car with exposed spark plugs/wires...or an exposed fuel filter line...

Edit: Do you have an aftermarket alarm system all up integrated into the main relay? just a thought...

Well we checked the spark and no spark was showing. So what did we do? The same thing that any CB7 tuner would do. Take the distributor off of the 92 ex(his cb7 that runs fine) and throw it on the 92 lx(the one that we couldn't start) What do you know it starts right up! We went to the junkyard to find a replacement, but unfortunatly there is only ONE CB7 there! and someone already had yanked the dizzy But at least the problem is solved and there is a new main relay in there.
      Quote:

Comment

you dont have to change the hole dizzi just change the igniter coil its beter to buy that new anyways ....

In Need of an engine, just a basic f22a...pm me if you have one willing to part with.

Comment

hey i had the same problem i thought it was the main relay then i changed my distributor it still didn't work so then i brought it to the shop and they told me it was simply the ignition wire right under the steering wheel go pull out so he reattched it and i started right up
          USDM

Comment

Originally posted by kapone
            you dont have to change the hole dizzi just change the igniter coil its beter to buy that new anyways ....
            Now when you say ignitor coil what are you talking about? If I call Autozone or some auto parts place, will they know what I'm talking about? I don't know much about dizzy's other than how to take one off and on a CB7. And if I just get a new ignitor coil can I remove the old one and put the new one on myself? AccordAnimal can't find his shop manual and I'm guessing this info might be in there?
            Quote:

Comment

hey the ignitor coil is that tube looking thing that is connected to your distirbutor it is very easy to repalce. just take the harness off and replace it wit the new one
              USDM

Comment

Well I just decided to bite the bullet and pick up a new one. I found it for $100 BRAND new off ebay. It's coming from Cali so I have to wait about a week for the part cuz they are using Fed-Ex...someone shoot me!
                Quote:

Comment

Working...
                X