Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Completly confused..Hks Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Completly confused..Hks Filter

Ok so i just bought one of these filters off eBay. It is the real hks not that 2 dollar knock off. I am reading though that people say it filters like shit and what not. What I dont undertsnad is if it is such a junk filter than why are some of the top japan race teams running them on their setups? I mean it cant be that shitty if The top teams use them.

I am confused because I thought I was getting the top filter out there but it looks like I might have just bought the biggest P.O.S.
    No longer working on the cb. To much time and money has been put into it. Check my for sale thread where the whole car will be parted out.

I've heard a lot of things about them too

such as little bits of the foam get sucked through, they're restrictive... etc

truth is they can't be as bad as they say they are as they seem to be isolated cases
    and they're pretty good to use if you're strapped for space in the engine compartment
    [LEMNISCATE]

Comment

The HKS Foam FIlter does have shitty filtering characteristics but flow wise it flows really well since well it doesnt filter well. Most people use them because they are good for turbo applications when you need max flow and it catches the bigger particles and what not. Plus japanese racing teams rebuild there motors every now and then so they can use a free'r flowing filter. The HKS one is decent but it just filters like crap.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

In theory it all makes sense. Even hks says they use a very open design, but they have it oiled to catch the smaller stuff, so I guess it is like K&n, in that as long as its oiled its good, but take out the oil and it filter poorly.

As far as restrictive goes thats just not true. They are the least restrictive of all the filters. Well We'll see how it works I guess.
        No longer working on the cb. To much time and money has been put into it. Check my for sale thread where the whole car will be parted out.

Comment

HKS Foam Filters are dry type filters so no oil required. I prefer a dry type filter over an oiled one anyday.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

just get an Apexi and call it a day
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

are we talking bout the little green dome-shaped things that I see everywhere? I have no personal experience with them personally but you would think that a product that sucks wouldn't have the poplarity that it has. Its popularity infact could be its downfall. Those people talking bad about them could have gotten knock-offs. Over in the motorcycle world we had a nice scandal about companies scamming people with Dyno-Jet Power commanders that look like the real McCoy but suck major donkey balls. It could just be a very good scam that people have been caught up in. I mean how hard is it to make foam filters or an intake?
              1992 Honda Accord DX
              Coupe 5spd
              2.2 liter I-4 (code: F22a1)
              125hp @5200 rpm 137 lb/ft @4000 rpm

(\__/)
              (O.o )
              (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Comment

Originally posted by DjSpeedy
                What I dont undertsnad is if it is such a junk filter than why are some of the top japan race teams running them on their setups? I mean it cant be that shitty if The top teams use them.
                You are not a top race team, and therefore have different priorities than they do.

1. Their engine needs to last until the finish line, no more than 3 hours away, whereupon cubic meters of money will be thrown at it to make it all perfect again.
                You?

2. They get sponsorship money from HKS.
                You?

3. There livelihood *may* depend on that last perceived horsepower, at the expense of engine life. See #1 above.
                You?
                2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
                Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
                1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

I think everyone here makes a really valid point and I appreciate the input. i do think in some way though that the knockoffs are what is killing the hks name. Some idiot kid by a 5 dollar one of eBay not knowing any better and when it messes up the car, the kid goes on a rant on what shit it is.

Take any great company and at some time someone has made a copy of the design, that was pure shit. I have never seen a true greddy filter on ebay, and even the apexi website has a warning of a knockoff that looks the part to a T, so does tein springs.

At least some people have the knowledge that if it doesnt cost a lot its prolly not the real thing.
                  Last edited by DjSpeedy; 05-03-2006, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Anyhting on ebay are knowck offs, not really but its hard to find authetic items..

Comment

Mines def not a knock off I know that much.

Comment

Nope there was a test between a genuine HKS foam vs Apexi and the HKS sucked up a crap load of dirt. As for the Apexi it didnt suck much up and flowed pretty well. My friend also had an HKS foam on his civic was nice while it lasted.

The New-ish Ride
                        My old Ride
                        Hear my Vtak!!!
                        MK3 Member #3
                        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

So what died the civic or the filter? Damnit now everyone has got me nervous!!

Comment

Working...
                          X