Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

cold start problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cold start problem

I searched for a good 10 minutes, but couldnt find a problem exactly like mine. If there is, point me in that direction, please.

I've got a '90 LX Auto. Whenever I cold start my car, especially in the morning (50 degrees lately) I have the following issue. The car will crank more than usual (about 3 seconds) then barely fire. It'll "catch", the rpms will be around 500, rough vibration...all for about 5 seconds, then the rpms shoot up to 1500 and then come back down as it warms up. (shooting up to 1500 is typical of my car, and probably others?)

I thought about cleaning the IAC valve, but I'm not having a rough idle when the car is warm. And I might get some help from cleaning the FITV, but my problem is more about a rough start with low rpms at first.

Any help needed!

How are the spark plugs? I know I changed out my plugs with a set of crappy plugs and it started being real difficult about starting.
    07 Kia Sportage (Her car)
    91 Accord EX (My car)

04 BMW R1150RS (My bike)

Comment

check spark plugs and Sp wires.. also check distributor rotor for carbon tracks.. also make sure non of your fuel injectors are leaking.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
      1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
      2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
      2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
      2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
      2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

Does it spit a CEL when it gives you a hard start? I just had that problem and it would be very difficult to start in the mornings. It ended up being the distributor.

Comment

I know my spark plug wires are okay, they are fairly new.
          And the CEL hasn't come on recently

I don't know about my spark plugs, but if those were bad, wouldn't i have more trouble than just starting?

I know where the distributor cap is, but how would I go about checking the rotor for carbon, or how would I tell if the fuel injectors are leaking?

Another piece of information that might help find the problem, is that on really hot days, when the car has been sitting in the sun, I can't start at all. But i've always thought that had to do with the main relay being too hot, and would be totally unrelated.

Thanks for the help so far!

Comment

Originally posted by dben
            I know where the distributor cap is, but how would I go about checking the rotor for carbon, or how would I tell if the fuel injectors are leaking?
            Carbon on Distributor - Remove wires and cap and check for white stuff.

Injector leaks - check the injectors if they smell gas

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
            1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
            2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
            2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
            2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
            2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow and see how it goes.

Comment

Working...
              X