Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

CAI install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CAI install

hey i'm getting an intake soon and i was planning on looking off the DIY on here but it seems to be erased or something so where is it or is there some other guide i can follow? sorry for the stupid question.

ENG: Cold Air Intake Install
    - Ghosty
    WTB: MAP sensor (2+bar), IAT sensor, ECU & dizzy harness plugs... PM me!
    FS: coupe window rain guards, f22a6 intake & ex mani, cams, PT6 ECU, valve cover, dizzy caps, OEM fogs... PM me!

Comment

Is it a AEM or name brand CAI. I put a cheap one on my grey 90 accord and had some issues installing. First installing it is easy... if:

You pull the front bumper....
      1. Unscrew the marker lights on the bumper...behind witch are
      2. unbolt the 2 bolts on each side of the bumper mount
      3. pull your battery out ... so you can remove
      4. 14mm nuts opisit of the bolts in step 2 that needs to be pulled off the studs on the bumper mount.
      5. remove the bolts on the bottom of the front bumper holding the splash gaurds
      6. pull the bumper off

now we can remove ALL the old air box equiptment ( there is alot under the hood and a big peice hidden behind the bumper and splashsheild. There is one peice of the air system that you might want to keep... its small and has a round dodad ontop of it( i kept it cus there is a vacume tube going to it.

now run the CAI piping off the air intake on the back of the motor. Check and see if the longest straightest pipe will fit thru the hole from the old airbox equiptment that run down into where the "resinator" that was bolted behind the bumper. Should be acouple holes there now... it will fit or it wont. If its a cheap kit ( non aem ect...) it probly wont fit... time to enlarge the hole. the CAI will run from the engine curve behind the battery and down into the space on the passingerside of the car behind the bumper.

this was my project doing projectors on my grey accord so i had the hood open and the bumper off it should illistrate the CAIs path.

here is a pic of where the cai runs under the hood.

here it is comming out of the fender into the bumpers space.
      I cant Slam further. The ground refuses to get any lower.

Comment

hey thanks. i knew that diy was somewhere. i'm most likely going to just get a generic ebay cai. i thought about something like aem but i don't really want to pay 200 bucks for something like that. thanks akira

Comment

Get generic. All the pipes are the same, just some have an AEM sticker, and a CARB sticker, but since you are not in California you should not have to worry. Oh and K&N filter for the win!
          Gary A.K.A. Carter
          [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

K&N filter FTW period..

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
            1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
            2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
            2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
            2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
            2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

Make sure you have the tools to cut a hole in the body for the CAI. I ended up having to drill a series of holes and cut between them with tinsnips

You might also have to shave some of the battery tray.
              - Ghosty
              WTB: MAP sensor (2+bar), IAT sensor, ECU & dizzy harness plugs... PM me!
              FS: coupe window rain guards, f22a6 intake & ex mani, cams, PT6 ECU, valve cover, dizzy caps, OEM fogs... PM me!

Comment

I ended up cutting w/ vicegrips and adjustable wrench ... just rolled the metal back and hit it with some rust stopping primer lol.
                I cant Slam further. The ground refuses to get any lower.

Comment

clean it up with like a die grinder with a cutting disc more precise and wont look as butchered

Comment

Be sure to put some sort of padding around the edges of the hole... they will eventually rub holes into your intake pipe. I used plastic wire loom (3 years after having a rusty, jagged hole wrapped in electrical tape! )

You also don't need to take your bumper off. Everything can be done just by peeling back the splash guard.

Comment

dremel tools come in handy...make sure you put rubber over the cut metal..so you dont cut into your CAI.

Comment

personally i dont know whats up with the bumper thing, that sounds like too much work, when i did mine i removed the stock box, the little tubes coming off that, the battery, and then i drilled a hole and stuck it down there, but in order to get to that i got in the wheel well and cut the bottom of the rubber piece that went from the front to the wheel well that way it could suck air freely, easy to reach, and still protected from the water

Comment

Just did my CAI this afternoon, it's a cheap one from ebay. The job was not hard, thanks to the DIY thread. And a dremel really helps while cutting the hole. I didn't use the two little piece that came with the CAI, which is said for securing the tube. Not sure how to use. However, the tube is quite stable already. I also put some padding around the hole, and some between the tube and the battery. Anyway, time will tell whether this works.
                          I haven't got a chance to take a ride after putting the CAI on, so can't tell the difference in power. The sound isn't different either. My exhaust header leaks, the engine is always a little bit loud, maybe that covers up the sound from intake.

Comment

you need to install a bypass valve so you don't suck up any water and hydrolock the motor. later.
                            Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

I think the bypass valve works only when the whole filter is submerged. Does anybody drive into water that deep?

Comment

Working...
                              X