Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

how would i get 200 or more hp out of my N/A engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how would i get 200 or more hp out of my N/A engine

i have a 1993 honda accord ex with an f22a6 that i did a manual swap on last year i want to try and get 200 whp without a turbo i already have a cold air intake, aftermarket headers and full exhaust any suggestions?

200 is a lot for an NA f22a. This project would have been an impressive undertaking 20 years ago, when there was still decent aftermarket support for the F22a, now it would be... unlikely. You'll probably need high compression pistons. Arias used to make them and can probably still make them custom. You'll need a wilder cam. Delta will still grind your cam to a new profile. A 272 something even more extreme. And to get everything out of that cam you'll need to rev it higher than stock, that'll mean upgraded internals (stronger valve springs, forged rods, . After that you'll need to tune it. Hondata is one of a few remaining options for the f22a, and you'll need to get it to a dyno tuner to set it up so you get the most out of your parts and you don't grenade it.

You don't say anything about the condition of your engine. Often with cars this old you need to address loss of compression just to get it back close to the original power. Have you done compression and leakdown tests? Have you had it on a dyno so you know where you are starting? Do those things first. You cannot get to your destination without first knowing where you are.

One other hint, there are several old threads on here about engine power. Find them and read them. A sticky at the top of this forum has a formula for getting about 150 hp out of an f22a1. There are a few things in that list that you can to to your a6 like the h23 plenum and throttle body, those will help a little.

A k-swap or j-swap might be easier and cheaper, not that those would be easy or cheap (especially since you'll need the corresponding trans too). An H swap is much more bolt-on but h22s are getting old and uncommon too. If you really really need 200hp, I would suggest a whole car swap. Get an Acura CL with the v6 and a manual. That's going to be way cheaper and easier.

If I haven't discouraged you, then on this site look to the Performance Tech / Natually Aspirated sub-forum and start reading. There is a mountain of information there.
    ==========================
    1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
    1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
    Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
    Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
    M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
    Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Comment

I just did a compression check and from left to right 1:130, 2:125, 3:129, 4:130

Comment

Well those look like pretty consistent numbers. That suggests your cylinders are probably in good shape. You probably have a good block as a starting point. Keep us up to date with your progress.

If you decide to do a bit less, there are well known steps that get proven gains. H23 intake and throttle body from a junkyard prelude. A less restrictive intake than stock. 2" catback and a better flowing muffler. A Delta 262 or 272 grind on your f22a6 cam. An ebay exhaust manifold. Then a Hondata and someone to dyno tune it will make it considerably peppier. If you don't do lots of long highway cruising, the thing we did that made the most noticeable difference was a transmission with tighter gears, and a lower final drive. I'd guess all that's around $900 plus the cost of tuning.
        ==========================
        1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
        1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
        Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
        Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
        M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
        Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Comment

Working...
        X