Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Idle problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle problem

Hi guys, my first post. Some of you "might" know me as maxsideburn from the 3geez forum. I've just decided to buy a 90 coupe and I need to know what could be causing this problem.

Here's what's going on now. The car will start and idle roughly, it will die if not revved up until warm. Once it's warm it still continues to rev up and down a lot by itself.

Now considering my knowledge of 3G Accords I'm assuming this is one of three things, EGR valve problem (stuck open, or something along those lines), vacuum leak somewhere on the intake manifold, or just some sensor completely screwed.

As a side note I should also mention that the exhaust is screwed, pretty much everything from the cat-back is falling apart and leaking.
    I read somewhere that marijuana effects the memory. For some reason I can't seem remember where I read that. -- max sideburn(aka torqstr)

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin

CB7: The Movie TEASER VIDEO

Hmm.. i'm not sure if it could be the IACV but have you checked that or anything?? Because thats happened to me once, and then I cleaned the IACV out and it didn't happen again. Other then that I really can't think of anything to cause your idle besides what you stated above. I mean I know the CTS (coolant temperature sensor) could cause a bad idle but that don't sound like your problem.

My Official Vouch Thread

MY For Sale Thread!!!

Recent Members Sold To:
    ALOW1, TheNextAZN

Members Sold To (Vouches):
    ALOW1, Phempa, hpaccord91, aznsyco84, 93EXaesthetic, civic_90_08, wrichards2005, SuperTuner12010, JDM_EJ, Ralphie, cooneyb81, HondaFan81, quakerjoe, tanNn2koo, 91Accord-LX, JARHEAD293, TheNextAZN, (TONS MORE)

Comment

So it does it constantly? I would say its a gasket/vacuum line leak. Just listen for hissing sounds.. feel around the IM and see if you can feel anything, or spray some carb cleaner.

If its not that, try the iacv as said above.

Comment

yea I had the same problem, it was the iac valve

Comment

here's a DIY for the IACV

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...highlight=idle

Comment

Originally posted by Torqstr
            ...........EGR valve problem (stuck open, or something along those lines), vacuum leak somewhere on the intake manifold, or just some sensor completely screwed.
            I also have the idle that jumps up and down. Try this test. Try pulling or pushing up on the EGR diaphram while the car is idleing. If that stops your crazy revs, then start looking for an EGR.
            1992 Accord Coupe 5-Speed

Comment

well we know its something on the intake side. if i were you, id pull the FIV, EGR, and IACV off of the manifold and clean them all out. tighten the FIV screw if its loose. reattach to manifold with fresh gasket maker. bleed any air out of the coolant, run a can of seafoam through the manifold, and check for any gasket leaks. adjust the idle screw and make sure none of the vacuum nipples are bent and leaking air in around their edges.

its all simple and easy to do, it may seem overboard for what may be just one tiny leak or one sensor, but all of those suggestions can only help... maintenance things you should do anyway on a car this old.

good luck with it sir, glad to have you on the site.
              Last edited by cp[mike]; 07-18-2006, 02:59 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
              Current cars:
              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

also beware that the iacv may also not wanna shot a code when its messed up too .

Comment

You have 2 threads, talking about the same problem, at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                  X