Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

car is overheating at idle......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

car is overheating at idle......

when iam at a stoplight, the tempature gaugue would go all the way almosst to the H, this happen today while going to work, it has never done this before, fan turned on after i turn off the car which means the fans work, but after work, i checked the radiator there WAS NO COOLANT IN SIGHT!! so i was like wtf and took a risk and drove home, had my heater full blast... ...now iam at home...looking at past threads about overheating, to my invesigation, i believe i need to Flush the coolant, first of all, i dont knoe how to do that????, i need do to this really fast because i have work tomorrow and i hope i can flush and refill, the coolant in the resisevor is pretty bad looking, since i got the car i have never flushed the coolant.....

hope you guys help me out...thanks

Fill it with water...run it...and see what happens. It could be your thermostat. When you saw your fans turn on were both of them on or just one?

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Had/having same problem..luckily for me i live like a mile from my job. I recently had my radiator replaced, new coolant and all, then my fans didnt work so i had to replace my coolant temp sensor, and its back to running hot..im thinking in both our cases its probably a thermostat...

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
      Originally posted by Jarrett
      Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Usually it is the thermostat in this case BUT he said his fluid level was low so it would be a good idea to see if he has a leak first. Since he said he had nothing in the radiator whatsoever when he checked. Filling it up with water is cheap and easy and it will suffice as a temporaray solution.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

True. Keeping in mind the word "temporary"...cracked the block on a plymouth i had a few years back doing that..filling it up everytime before i drove it somewhere..lasted me about 3 months surprisingly...but yeah, it should suffice.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
          Originally posted by Jarrett
          Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

i believe both fans were working, iam not sure tho, but i heard them working becuase i open the hood and saw them working, yeah i guess i will drain and refill, how i do i remove all that coolant from the reservior????

Comment

You wont need to drain it fill it up first with water. Drive it around to around normal operating temperature and see if you can find some leaks and to see if it still overheats. Best time to have a pressure tester now.

The New-ish Ride
              My old Ride
              Hear my Vtak!!!
              MK3 Member #3
              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                You wont need to drain it fill it up first with water. Drive it around to around normal operating temperature and see if you can find some leaks and to see if it still overheats. Best time to have a pressure tester now.
                should i fill water in the radiator or resevior?? just water?? no coolant??

thanks for the help, i appreciate it

Comment

Fill it up in both if they are low or empty. This will suffice as a temporary solution until you have time to look at it. But best bet is to pressure test it to see if you have leaks. If not could be your thermostat. But fill it up with water for now and see if it keeps on doin it.

The New-ish Ride
                  My old Ride
                  Hear my Vtak!!!
                  MK3 Member #3
                  IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

okay thanks man...i will do that and will tell you later on tha day when i come back from work, i just have a thought that it could be the water pump but I HOPE ITs NOT....but just having a thought about that...how much would a water pump cost if i take to a mechanic anyways??...there is some coolant in the resevior tho..not alot tho..so it didnt take that coolant into the radiator..is maybe low on coolant in the engine block?? should i just do a mix of coolant and water? i dont feel right just putin just water in the radator....i just boiled some water to become distilled...iam guessing you recommeend me using distilled then tap water from hose...

thanks man, you make this forum useful...

Comment

if its only overheating at idle sit still and rev it and if the heat goes down nothing to do with a t stat it woudl be the pump try bleeding the system first though thats always a problem with these systems

the build and demise
                      buy stuff i want a new car

Comment

This same exact thing happened to me about 1 month or so ago. Found out that one of my hoses had a pin sized hole in it. Check out the hoses and go from there.

generic short-ram
                        generic strut tower bar
                        hid bulbs all around
                        amber bumper + clear corners (soon to be amber)

Comment

UPDATE:i put coolant and water in the radiator in the morning before work, while driving to work i was paying attention to the tempertaure gauge and the needle was almost half point which made me happy ... ....ill be looking at the coolant for the next couple of days, thanks for the help for those who contributed....

Comment

definitely get your system pressure tested, if you had no coolant that means its going somewhere, you might have a leak or could be going out the tailpipe. Just get it checked cuz you dont want it to overheat and cause engine damage

Comment

Originally posted by cb7dazz
                              definitely get your system pressure tested, if you had no coolant that means its going somewhere, you might have a leak or could be going out the tailpipe. Just get it checked cuz you dont want it to overheat and cause engine damage
                              how much does it cost to do that??

thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X