Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

h23 head swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

h23 head swap

ok everybody

I've decided that an h23 head swap will be the easiest (and cheapest) thing to do right now as opposed to a full engine swap.......

does anyone know of a good place to find h23 heads? especially anyone located in Canada or northern US...I've looked a bit online and nothing is jumping out at me...lots of engine importers with full h22s and f20s etc, but nothing h23 head related.

everybody who's done an h23 headswap, if you could let me know where you got yours from, and any other helpful details, I will be very much obliged.

Thanks a lot
    1992 Accord LX Wagon 248K/155 Miles

company sites online will most likely not sell you just a head. Your gonna have to look in forums classifieds, local junkyards, ebay, and such to find one. there not too expensive
    Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

thanks.......any idea how expensive 'not too expensive' is? I'm a little out of my depth in this area. if you have an idea what a ballpark would be for a head in good condition, that'd be sweet. I'm looking to do what cokinut did with the H23 intake manifold swap. (props to him for a sweet DIY)

Comment

Comment

GOT REBEL?

"There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer."

Comment

No selling in the Beginner Forums, even if you have more than 30 posts.

Comment

You think a headswap will be easier than a full motor swap? Hardly.

Swapping an H23 head, once you get everything you need to do it, would cost a minimum of $600, I believe... probably more. For $700-$800, you can get an F22B DOHC. A JDM motor that most likely has half the miles (or less) than your F22A (which is the tired bottom end you are planning on using). It's basically a JDM H23, just with a little less displacement.

Comment

ok, but isnt a full engine swap more complicated? (i mean this question semi-rhetorically...i'm pretty sure that it is)

sure i could drop an f22b (which is what i was considering doing) but my friend who has more experience than me and will be helping quite a bit doesnt want to do a full swap, he thinks its going to have snags with wiring etc, tho from what i hear its supposed to be a direct drop in. since he's a licensed mechanic, and i am not....its hard to argue with him.

if you could enlighten me further on the f22b swap, perhaps i could present him with more compelling evidence than an "i dont think so".

thanks for any replies.....and correct me if i'm wrong......i am a total newb to mods
                Last edited by qbodsyt; 12-13-2006, 12:15 AM.

Comment

To swap in an F22B, you take the old motor out, and bolt the new one in. Honestly, if you use your current transmission, it's a direct bolt-in deal. Get the proper ECU and you have a 160hp engine that fits and runs like a stock motor.

A headswap, on the other hand, requires modification of oil passages (at least with the H23... the F22B DOHC head supposedly bolts on with no modification, but you're still better off with the whole motor).

The things you would need for the F22B DOHC headswap would be:
                  -F22B DOHC Complete Head
                  -H22/H23 Internal/External Coil Distributor
                  -H23 Head Bolts
                  -H23 Crank Gear w./ H23 Backing Plate
                  -H23 Timing Belt or 1995 GSR Timing Belt
                  -F22AX Head Gasket
                  -F22A6 or H23 Intake Manifold
                  -H23 or F22B DOHC ECU

I'm sure that's about the same for the H23. Shop around. If you feel confident that you and your friend could do this headswap with good results, go for it... but if you can't get everything needed for under $700, the F22B DOHC swap would be the better choice.

F22B DOHC headswap guide:
                  http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...8&page=1&pp=20

For the full motor swap, the only things you will probably need to do is use your F22A fuel rail with the F22B injectors, an H22 or H23 distributor (if you get a motor without one), and a custom power steering line (autozone sells an adaptor that should work, from what I'm told...)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                    and a custom power steering line (autozone sells an adaptor that should work, from what I'm told...)
                    wish i knew that back when I swapped. Took me hours to fab a custom adapter.
                    Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

When my shop did my swap, they made a big deal about the custom adapter. Last winter, when I went to cp[mike]'s house to do my clutch, he said it was an autozone part. I never saw one there myself, but Mike knows his stuff!

Comment

k, thanks deever, i'll have to reconsider what i want to do......

Comment

Working...
                        X