Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Idle Problem--YES I've read the sticky!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle Problem--YES I've read the sticky!

I've read the sticky and searched all over the web for solutions to this surging idle problem, but I can't get it to go away. Any advice is certainly appreciated. Here's what's been done so far.

The car had a leaking radiator, so I replaced that. I replaced the lower and upper hoses, the radiator cap, and the thermostat. I've purged the coolant of air the best that I could, using the bleeder on the thermostat housing.

I've cleaned the idle air control valve and reinstalled it. Then I changed it with one from a junked car, but who knows if this one is good or not? I don't want to buy one from the dealership until I know for a fact that is the problem because a new one is $180.

I opened the FITV and turned the nylon ring clockwise until it bottomed out. This helped a little bit.

The hunting idle is better than it was and the car drives better than it did. It actually drives very well now, but the hunting idle is still there. 1100-1400 rpm. Once every blue moon (3 times since I've had the car) it will actually idle correctly when warm.

Thanks to all in advance!

did you turn the idle screw on the throttle body?
    Members Ride

Comment

I haven't read anything about the idle screw affecting a *surging* idle. Can you give me some more detail? The car idles around 1700 when it's cold, then it idles down to around 1000-1100 when it's in park. It idles around 800 in gear.

Comment

check all the vacuum hoses from throttle body to emissions box(that black thing above the fuel filter

u may have a loose fitting somwhere which would cause the idle to bounce and surge; also check your timing
        "You don't have to be a Phi Beta Kappa to know not to strip-search a girl who is accused of stealing change,"

I did gagoogity that girl. I gashmoigitied her gaflavity with my googis. And I am sorry.

Comment

If the Idle screw doesnt help then Try this DIY: Eratic Idle Fix Later

Comment

i guarantee(sp) that your idle screw is set out too far, its a gold screw on the throttle body, just turn it down clockwise i think till it idles at 700 plus or minus 50 rpm
            Members Ride

Comment

BlackCB7---thanks for the clarification, I'm going to try that tomorrow.

MadSpleen---I found that thread after I posted this one, thanks. He mentions a few things I wasn't aware of. Mainly that the EGR should be cleaned and the Air Boost Valve should be checked. I also read somewhere that the PCV valve should be checked, so I'll get a new one tomorrow too.

I've already checked the hoses and checked for other areas that might have a vaccuum leak. So at least I'm narrowing down the list of possible culprits.

Thanks again, everybody's input is greatly appreciated! I'm gonna check these things and I'll post what I find out.

Comment

Originally posted by blackcb7
                i guarantee(sp) that your idle screw is set out too far, its a gold screw on the throttle body, just turn it down clockwise i think till it idles at 700 plus or minus 50 rpm
                Tecnicaly that isn't an idle ajuster. It makes changes to the air/fuel mixture at idle. There is a screw with a nut on it that is really hard to get to and ajust that is your real idle ajustor.

Comment

i had a surging idle before... here a list of things to check:

1. check all the vaccum hoses and make sure they are connected...
                  2. check the gasket of the intake manifold; which was my problem...i had a blown intake gasket located between the engine and intake manifold...
                  3. check the sensor located around throttle body on the manifold that the coolant hose is connected to...if the coolant was dirty the sensor will be blocked and clogged...and result in a rev idle problem...

try this list out and see if it works...

A wise man sees failure as progress...

Comment

OK, the rain finally stopped and it was warm enough to check some things on the car.

I purged the coolant again. I checked all vacuum hoses for leaks, and I sprayed the gasket area of the intake to look for a leak there.

I took the FITV off and cleaned it, I cleaned the EGR, and I changed the PCV valve.

None of these things changed the surging idle.

I noticed by accident that if I try to close the throttle body manually, the idle will become normal. All I have to do is just basically bump the throttle body with my hand. So that lead me to look for the screw that BlackCB7 was telling me about. Is this screw basically the throttle stop? How do you get to it without taking the throttle body off? Mine is a threaded stud with a jam nut on it, and you have to get to it from underneath the throttle body. Instead of doing that, I just took a pair of channel locks and bent the area where it makes contact. Now my idle is close to correct, but it still surges 3-4 times before it settles down. I'm guessing I'm on the right track?

Thanks again everyone for all the advice!

Comment

lol, ya they realy thought about the position of that one! You gotta lossen the jam nut and get an allen wrench on the bottom of it. I replaced mine with a screw so I could ajust it quicker because I was having the same problem you were.

Comment

Originally posted by F22HB
                        lol, ya they realy thought about the position of that one! You gotta lossen the jam nut and get an allen wrench on the bottom of it. I replaced mine with a screw so I could ajust it quicker because I was having the same problem you were.
                        So THAT'S the idle adjuster screw you were talking about! Got it! So from all outward appearances, this SHOULD be the fix for my surging idle. Did you put the screw in from the top or the bottom? And I'm guessing I should use loctite to hold it in place?

Comment

ya, use a screw that fits the best and lock tight it. I went in from the top because it was easier to ajust. All I did to fix it was do the tightening of the fitv and then turned the air/fuel all the way in. Then I ajusted the idle. It is still about 200 rpm too low when its cold but fine when its warm and no surging.two hundreds not bad though.

Comment

Should I turn the air/fuel mixture screw in all the way as well? Where is it located? I looked all over the throttle body and could only find the idle adjuster. I'll probably remove the throttle body to make it easier when I replace the adjuster with a screw. Is there anything I should be aware of when I do this?

Comment

ya, there is the gasget that might be damaged. Oh and the idle ajustor on the throttle body is the air fuel ajustor screw not an idle ajustor. Although it does change the idle.

Comment

Working...
                              X