Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

check engine light on and car wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

check engine light on and car wont start

hey, i have a 1990 honda accord and the check engine light is on, and in the mornings the car is really hard to start, and if it sits for a while it wont start either but after it starts its fine.I changed the IACV and nothing happened it still does the same thing. The 10 day inspection ran out on it so i havent been driving it after sitting for 3 or 4 days i tried to start it and nothing at all happened no lights or anything. I put a battery charger on it for 5 or 6 hours and it started right up. what could the problem be.

i'm no expert but if you charged the battery and it starts, then the battery could be your problem.

JUST to test to see if the alternator is also not going, once you get the car running, disconnect the NEG from the battery [i think is NEG, someone else please confirm] and it the car stays on, you are golden on the Alternator.

But like i said, if you have to charge the battery and the car starts, try replacing the battery first and see how that goes for you.

Is the check engine light or a amber light by the mileage?? if its the amber light, my 93 acc has a switch you push in right next to the light and it resets the color back to green or off which looks green
    Member's Page:: Coming Soon

Comment

so if i turn the car on and disconnect the negative and the car stays on then the alternator is or is not the problem?

Comment

maybe you should have some one jump start you instead?

if you don't mind resetting all your radio stations and have a buddy to drive you to the auto parts store like Autozone or Advance Auto, they will test that battery for you, it's free too.

if you can get the car going, they can test your battery and alternator at the store too.

Comment

thats what's happening to me to me too i changed the battery but it still wouldn't
          start. so the problem is the alternador you should change it

Comment

alright so i left the battery charger on it over night and today i tried starting it, it was hard starting at first but then it finally started, i let it run for about 5 mintues then turned it off and waited a few mintues and tried starting it again and it started right up. Then i let it run and unhooked the negative battery cable and the car was still running, so i guess its not the alternator. Im so confused of what the problem could be.

Comment

wow, no one ever really searches the forums...okay, i actually didn't get this info from the forums, but from some other site, but it is on here as well..somewhere...ah, anyway, this is a common problem for cb7's and it has to do with your main relay being too hot or too cold, or just plain F*ck*d up. if you can get the car to crank, but not start, its the main relay (almost 100% sure). the main relay is located under the dash on the driver's side. there's something blocking it...ah, you know what, i got all the info on this site.

http://techauto.te.funpic.org/mainrelaydefine.php

its got pics and everything. your's might not even be bad. just pull it from where it is and move it somewhere else where it isn't suffering from claustrophobia. if it still doesn't make the scary CEL go away, you probably need a new one.

and don't ask me why having a jumper connected to it makes it work, thats all explained in the forums and again, i am too lazy to look it up, but i've had this exact same problem and after popping in a new relay and just leaving it hang there (ya, i guess is hould secure it somewhere...), i've never had the starting problem since.

good luck.

Comment

yes dude def. your main relay. i too had that problem when i first bought my accord. i changed it and my baby has been starting fine for the past month.
                p.s. very good info jayrq2o1
                waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah pssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhh

Comment

Working...
                X