Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

How to adjust rear brakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to adjust rear brakes?

I can't seem to find the "adjuster" on the rear shoes, where is it? Any pics?
    I read somewhere that marijuana effects the memory. For some reason I can't seem remember where I read that. -- max sideburn(aka torqstr)

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin

CB7: The Movie TEASER VIDEO

what are you adjusting?

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

the rear brakes. I've read around here and people talk about adjusting the park brake cable and also adjusting the brakes in the back. I tried adjusting the cable in the console, that didn't work. I want to adjust the brakes in the back.

From what I'm reading here it's some kind of screw you have to turn or something to adjust them.
      I read somewhere that marijuana effects the memory. For some reason I can't seem remember where I read that. -- max sideburn(aka torqstr)

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

whens the last time you replaced or looked at the rear shoes? to be honest the only adjustment ive ever heard of for the ebrake/rear brakes is just where the cables meet the lever under the console

Current cars:

Comment

Well I figured they were badly out of adjustment. I want to try adjusting them before replacing the shoes. Since I've always heard that shoes are TERRIBLE to replace.

Comment

Originally posted by Torqstr
            Well I figured they were badly out of adjustment. I want to try adjusting them before replacing the shoes. Since I've always heard that shoes are TERRIBLE to replace.
            you tried adjusting them.

do your brakes dude. its obviously time. you can pull the drums off and look at the shoes without actually disassembling everything. itd be worth your while... and they arent hard if you take your time and follow a haynes manual.
            Last edited by cp[mike]; 02-09-2007, 04:10 PM.

Current cars:

Comment

ok I pulled the drums off, the shoes still have like 60% of material left on them. The Chilton's I have mentions an "adjuster bolt", just like I was talking about before. But where is it? I don't see anything that will adjust how much the shoes push "outward".

this thread mentions them

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...brake+adjuster
              Last edited by Torqstr; 02-09-2007, 04:34 PM.

Comment

guys PLEASE, it's about to rain and my stuff is still all apart in the yard.

Where is this brake shoe adjuster that you supposedly adjust with a flathead screwdriver??

Comment

PDF of rear brakes
                  2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
                  Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
                  1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

ok after messing with it all afternoon I sorta made sense of what people had said. It's not a screw that you adjust with a flathead, it's a little "gear" looking thing that you spin. From what I can make out it's down to expand the shoes and up to bring them closer together.

I did this to both rear wheels and boy what a difference. Before I could pull the ebrake all the way up and if I had the rear end off of the ground I could just spin the tires, especially the driver side which didn't seem to be getting ANY brakes at all. I still can't rip the ebrake and make the rear wheels lock up, which I was kinda hoping for, but at least I can park my car with the park brake now

Comment

You shouldn't need to turn the starwheel manually, it should be being moved by the brakes themselves.
                      Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.

Comment

if that's not the adjuster then what is??

or if that IS the adjuster as someone stated in another thread these brakes are "supposed" to auto adjust, doesn't mean they actually do.

Comment

Originally posted by Torqstr
                          if that's not the adjuster then what is??

or if that IS the adjuster as someone stated in another thread these brakes are "supposed" to auto adjust, doesn't mean they actually do.
                          I didn't say it wasn't an adjuster.
                          I said you shouldn't have to move them manually, if things are working properly.
                          Is the self adjusting lever and spring in place?

rear brake PDF

Comment

I used to work at a honda dealer and I was under the impression that honda did not have auto adjust rear brakes? adjusting the rear brakes was part of some services and sometimes got thrown in with an oil change.

when I adjust them I usually end up adjusting them to far just to find out where there going to start rubbing then i'll back them off till they just barely dont rub.

on a related note, you should NEVER have to adjust the park brake cables unless you regularly pull them up super hard and stretch the cables. if you believe you need to adjust the cables though make sure the lever is fully down and has a little slack so you know its not pulling the brakes then adjust the rear brakes before doing the cables. the mechanics at the dealer I worked at usually set the brakes to get 3-5 clicks on the park brake when pulled.
                            '90 Accord LX, 5spd.

Comment

Working...
                            X