Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Dark Smoke When Accelerating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dark Smoke When Accelerating

When i accelerate fast alot of dark smoke comes out but not when i drive normal? what can i do to stop the smokeing, is it bad ?

Same thing happens to me.. It's probabally your rings or valve stem seals.

Comment

Originally posted by bxjdm
      When i accelerate fast alot of dark smoke comes out but not when i drive normal? what can i do to stop the smokeing, is it bad ?
      bluish smoke?.......valve seals

Either replace seals or head

Comment

Dark smoke I am gonna assume black. Hows your tune up.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Black smoke is excess fuel. Blue is oil.

Burning oil could be valve seals, as mentioned above.

Excess fuel is more likely. If you have an intake, header, and/or exhaust, those things usually cause the ECU to dump more fuel than is really needed (a condition called "rich", the opposite of "lean", which can be more harmful).

It's VERY common for modified cars to puff out some black smoke if the ECU isn't properly tuned for the mods (and tuning an ECU isn't as easy as bolting on an intake)

Look at all the obnoxious imports in your area... keep an eye out for white ones. Take notice if they have black soot all over their bumper around their tailpipe

Basically, your options are: a) live with it, or b) get a chippable ECU and have it tuned for your motor.

Comment

black=running rich
            blue= oil
            white =coolant.

your probably just running a little rich

Comment

I'm running very rich. What could I do? I can tell b/c I was with a friend and this happenned...
              I noticed it was smelling bad, so I asked him to see what happenned, puffed out some dark smoke. So I rev'd to 5k and gas literally shot out. However, if I rev very gently then it isn't as bad, he mentioned a throttle sensor, I don't know... But now I can't go over 1/3rd accel to avoid the bad smell and running very rich. It's hard to daily drive with all my hills and me starting up a hill every morning...

Other info: Drove about an hour going 70-100, dropping to 4th and flooring when I couldn't see cars... so I mean high rpm driving. Reset the ECU last friday after re-ataching EGR hose and cleaning out my IAC valve. Should be unrelated...

Sorry if I am thread jacking, I just thought this was similar and didn't need a whole new thread.
              Click for my ride thread.

Comment

A new OEM o2 sensor may help things. Don't get an aftermarket one, as I've heard that they don't read correctly (Bosch, primarilly)

Comment

Is there any cheap things I can try first before I spend money on an o2 sensor? How much should I expect to pay at Honda for one of those...?
                  It just bothers me how this happens right after the first time I've ever touched my engine... feels like I broke something. I'm sure I didn't though. sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by ilovemycb7
                    I'm running very rich. What could I do? I can tell b/c I was with a friend and this happenned...
                    I noticed it was smelling bad, so I asked him to see what happenned, puffed out some dark smoke. So I rev'd to 5k and gas literally shot out. However, if I rev very gently then it isn't as bad, he mentioned a throttle sensor, I don't know... But now I can't go over 1/3rd accel to avoid the bad smell and running very rich. It's hard to daily drive with all my hills and me starting up a hill every morning...

Other info: Drove about an hour going 70-100, dropping to 4th and flooring when I couldn't see cars... so I mean high rpm driving. Reset the ECU last friday after re-ataching EGR hose and cleaning out my IAC valve. Should be unrelated...

Sorry if I am thread jacking, I just thought this was similar and didn't need a whole new thread.

when was the last time you did a tune up? How's your ignition timing? your car idle rough or miss alot?

Comment

My ignition timing is advanced 2 degrees... but it's been like that since last summer. My car did have a surging idle but right before this I cleaned out the IAC which seemed to get rid of it. And there is no noticeable missing when it runs... which I've heard you can definitely tell.

As far as a tune up, everyone says this. But what exactly does it mean? Top off all fluids...? I'm sure there is more.

Comment

A basic tune up is replacing the cap, rotor, spark plugs, and wires if necessary. Correct the ignition timing, change all fluids that should be changed, change/clean the air filter if necessary...

Basic, inexpensive maintainance.

If you're running extremely rich, your spark plugs are most definitely fouled.

Comment

Okay. Well I know my fluids are good... I'm pretty sure honda said they topped 'em off at my free inspection. And then also I just looked at 'em all and they are good. I do'nt know about cap/rotor. My plugs were fine a few weeks ago, but I do have oil leaking in the tube seals, and maybe vc seal. So I should replace those seals and then get plugs. Maybe that's the problem. The filter looked good...

Why should I put my timing back? I like the sound and there is a tad more power.

Does the richness increasing with throttle mean anything? I've been driving at like 1/3rd throttle and shifting under 3k and I can't smell it too much. But I do have NO power, I opened up to WOT once and it had no pull. boo.

Comment

Should I try replacing the plugs and seals first? B/c what if it is the o2 sensor and then after I put on the new parts they just get fouled again... any way I can test the o2 sensor?

Comment

ok so now what

i turned on my car and saw blue smoke, its blueish smoke i c. but my girl was driving behind me when i floored it and she said the smoke was a bit darker and it stunk pretty bad. so ok blueish smoke people said the vavle rings or changing head, what should i doooo????

Comment

Working...
                              X