Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

turbo a f22a1 ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turbo a f22a1 ?????

Hello all i want to start my turbo project for my 93 Accord LX 2 door, but im not sure what to buy first, im on a budget so i can get something every week, untill i get all that i need and then install it myself. I heard that it will take alot of work on the motor before u can turbo it;is that true? Anyway what should i start with? THANKS!

You can boost a completely stock motor... but how long it lasts depends on a few things. Mainly, your choice of parts, the health of your motor to start, and how well your ECU is tuned.

The "DSM" turbo kit is the most popular way of doing things cheaply. I assembled my kit for about $700, and I planned on boosting a stock F22A1. I crashed the car before I got that far, though... I was about to order my last part the day I crashed!

Anyway, the DSM kit needs:

A turbo exhaust manifold from a DSM (1st or 2nd gen Eclipse, Talon, or Laser). You'll need to drill new holes to mount it, but the ports line up properly. It's a common thing to use, and it's cheap... and lasts pretty long.

The 450cc injectors from a turbo DSM

A decent sized turbo... the 1st gen DSM 14b is the SMALLEST you should go, and that is really pretty small. Small turbos make more heat than larger ones. Heat is one of the main reasons why turbo motors fail. Spend the money on a good turbo, like a "big" 16g from an older Evo. Make sure the internal wastegate is in good shape.

Oil lines. Stealthmode makes the most popular ones.

A boost gauge (so you know if you're overboosting...)

Charge piping. A cheap cold-air intake works well for the cold side. The rest has to be custom. You could probably find someone on here that could get their piping copied for you, to save you some trouble.

Intercooler. As heat is a major enemy, you should get the biggest front mount intercooler you can fit behind your bumper (no matter what, you'll have to do some cutting) Some people use stock DSM side mount intercoolers... bad idea.

A working blow off valve is necessary... the stock DSM pieces work for fairly low boost applications. My kit had the DSM one.

You'll need a custom downpipe... as with the charge piping, someone on here that already has a turbo setup may be able to help here.

You should upgrade your exhaust. The stock juice-box-straw exhaust won't do well. Get a 3" system, even if it's a cheapie muffler-shop deal.

Finally, you'll need a chipped P06 ECU from a 92-95 Civic DX/LX. It will need to be tuned, either on a dyno, or by someone who knows what they're doing on the street (not as good as a dyno, but dyno time is expensive... though there is a shop in South Jersey that will give you a full tune for $500 on the dyno... good deal)

Shop smart, and you can do it for $1000 or less... plan on about $2000 if you want it to last, though. My kit was $700 ready to go on, but I FULLY intended on blowing up that motor!

Comment

thanks alot for the feed back, i got a few more questions how much whp will that give me with a good tune? Also does that place in jersey do all the work if i get all the parts? cause i want to do it my self but i really don't know that much about turbos, and the last thing i want to do is blow my motor, and if i do put everything on myself could i drive it to jersey to get it tuned? and what did you do with your $700 turbo set up? thanks for all your help

Comment

I sold my setup. It wasn't the best anyway... the turbo was WAY too small!

Anyway, yeah... if you install everything, they would tune it for you. I'm sure they'd install for a price as well. The place is called All About Performance, and the number is 856-853-8282. I haven't been there for a while, but the last time I stopped in, Wayne, the turbo tech, told me that it was $500 for a tune. They may not remember me, since I haven't been there for a while (I own this place though... so they should remember that! )

You'd need a basemap for your chipped ECU to get there, and even then you'd be taking a risk (drive like a granny before it's tuned!) MRX, Accord R33, or d112crzy can provide the chipped ECU and basemap if you need!

As for horsepower... it depends. On a stock motor, 220-250whp can be made. If you stick to 200-220whp, you have the best chance of your motor lasting a while. The more power you make, the more strain you're putting on that old motor!

Also, you'll want to upgrade your clutch. The stock clutch won't last long! If you have an automatic, then definitely stick to lower power... the autos don't last too long with turbo (Level10, also in Jersey I believe, has auto upgrades that can help with that, though)

Comment

with the DSM setup, whats the maximum psi u can put out on that turbo. and wat psi is good for daily drivin DEV
          **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
          Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
          Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Well, the DSM setup doesn't always use the same turbo. The 14b is the common one to use, and it's actually a little small for the engine (small is bad... small makes heat). With the 14b, no more than 10psi should be run on a stock engine with a decent tune. 8psi is probably safest for daily driving. The "big" 16g from the older Evo is the better turbo to use. It's larger (I don't know the exact specs offhand) and therefore safer at low boost, and capable of much more power when you raise it. The big 16g can easily make more power than the stock F22 should be able to handle, without causing a meltdown.

The BEST turbo for the F22 (and H22, even) is the t3/t04 hybrid. It provides a fairly quick spool with the benefits of a larger turbo. It won't fit on the stock DSM manifold flange, though (different manufacturer... garrett vs. mitsubishi) so you'd need a custom flange or a custom manifold.

So, regardless, 7-10psi for a daily driver is where you'd want to be with a decently sized turbo. Without internal work, you're looking at a very short engine life if you go higher than that. Tuning is imperative. If you don't tune properly, you may do some serious damage, even at very low boost. A basemap will make your car run. It is not meant to be driven on! (I've known quite a few people that learned that the hard way... it may feel good, but it's not running correctly!)

Comment

Hey thanks for all that info. my car strated to over heat i check the radiator it had a leak and i replaced that but it still over heating, how can i check and see if its the thremo or the water pump? Thanks for info.

Comment

where can u get a custom flange

Comment

You could ask a muffler shop to weld one on for you. There MIGHT still be adapters around on the internet, but I'm not sure. I think I found one before. A custom manifold is the better choice at that point.

As for the overheating, just replace the thermostat and see. It's fairly cheap and easy enough to do... and having a new one is never a bad thing anyway! If that doesn't work, the water pump may be the culprit... which is fairly involved in comparison. If you have to do the water pump, do the timing belt at the same time.

When your radiator had a leak, did you try any of that "stop leak" crap? That can gunk up the works, and cause problems. I clogged my heater core with that stuff years ago.

Comment

hey thanks ima go and get the thermo then, i'll let you know how it all turn out.

Comment

Also i was looking for the oillines but that stealthmode ones only come in the 14b and t3/4/25/gt which of these can i get, if any for the evo 3 16g ported turbo/ dsm 1/2g? and is that a good turbo to get or should i give it back?

Comment

What else can be used from the the evo 3 for this setup plz..

Comment

Please do not resurrect 9 year old threads.

Comment

Working...
                          X