Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Violent shaking...idle and driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Violent shaking...idle and driving

I was on my way home from work, and noticed my car started to shake extremely hard.. there was an extreme loss of power, so i pulled over and let it idle for a second.. it was setting there idling like a muscle car with huge cams.. it revved a lot slower than usual and just shook hard with every bit of gas i gave it. I had a friend pull it home for me because i was scared id damage something worse. My car has had intense problems leaking oil, but i have kept up on keeping it up. Granted i went out of town for awhile and the car just sat, so it got lower than usual but i added the right amount before ever starting it back up. I also have noticed that my spark plugs are always covered in oil.

I guess what im getting at is that im scared that i may have damaged the internals, but i dont know where to start on the troubleshooting..through searching different threads it seems likely that a rod bearing or main bearing could be the problem??

any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated, because I consider my knowledge to be beginner. thanks in advance
    92 lx
    automatic
    slow

but its clean!..kinda

How does it sound? Maybe a cylinder is missing, that would cause some serious vibration/shaking. With that oil problem you may have a fouled out spark plug.
    MRT(vvv) --Stock CB7 Enthusiast #1--

Vouches: new_beginnings, ThrakBarts, beanzfynest617, JaK FRoSTWhiTE, 92_EX_Ninja, mak
    Originally posted by deevergote
    i am with the dumb. i cannot brain.

Comment

Does the shaking go away when you accelerate?

Comment

accelerating makes the shake worse.
        92 lx
        automatic
        slow

but its clean!..kinda

Comment

a few places to start, take off the distributor cap, take out the spark plugs, check air filter...

Originally posted by kc8enb07
          does it come w/ jdm trash? they better throw away gold in it

Comment

maybe a really bad motor mount
            .............................-----------------93 Ex Coupe[/COLOR]-----------------

My CD7

Comment

Originally posted by Dom
              maybe a really bad motor mount
              yea that can just Add to the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by punkrockimport
                I was on my way home from work, and noticed my car started to shake extremely hard.. there was an extreme loss of power, so i pulled over and let it idle for a second.. it was setting there idling like a muscle car with huge cams.. it revved a lot slower than usual and just shook hard with every bit of gas i gave it. I had a friend pull it home for me because i was scared id damage something worse. My car has had intense problems leaking oil, but i have kept up on keeping it up. Granted i went out of town for awhile and the car just sat, so it got lower than usual but i added the right amount before ever starting it back up. I also have noticed that my spark plugs are always covered in oil.

I guess what im getting at is that im scared that i may have damaged the internals, but i dont know where to start on the troubleshooting..through searching different threads it seems likely that a rod bearing or main bearing could be the problem??

any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated, because I consider my knowledge to be beginner. thanks in advance

Start with a compression test.

Comment

Yeah i totaly agree with the distributor cap and rotor, check spark plugs and change that valve cover gasket, thats what probaly happen to your old spark plugs, oil got to them.

Comment

i changed the valve cover gasket and used good sealant, and when i started it up it did the same shake, so i shut it off..

ill pick up some spark plugs this evening..
                    all the distributor parts are reasonably fresh(a year or so), and i havent had it missing out or anything like that. I appreciate the advice so far guys.. if anyone else has anything to add to this please feel free to do so.
                    92 lx
                    automatic
                    slow

but its clean!..kinda

Comment

look for vaccum leaks.
                      any check engine light?

Comment

how about start simple! pull your plug wires off the plugs one at a time. this is a super easy way to figure out which is you affected cylinder. if you pull one off at a time and you pull one off and there is no change from its your current condition you found your dead cylinder. also take off your oil cap and see if there is any smoke present. you may have a bad ring as well. start with ignition then do the same process to your injectors if you do not see a change when pulling the wires off. if no change happens with the injectors as welll then move on to the compression check.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
                        member ride thread
                        11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
                        DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
                        People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
                        I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
                        John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

no no no! your spark plug tube seals and your rocker arm o rings are bad causing oil to leak into your spark plug tube soaking the spark plugs. you said that your plugs were wet with oil right?? I have seen and done many accords with bad rocker arm o rings. let us know what you find though. and good luck.
                          The beginning of a new era............................
                          165 hp 149 ft. lb. torque sohc non vtec. then....
                          184 whp and 149 ft. lb. torque f20b stock now......

Comment

yeah tube seals on your spark plugs are probably leaking, thus causing the misfiring and your bad shake.

member's ride thread
                            93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                            99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                            91 Accord SE 176k
                            97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Yea, I had a Mercedes E300 that the oil fouled 2 spark plugs.
                              My 90 CB7 has the same oil leak in the spark plugs, but so far nothing is wrong.
                              Just take the spark plugs out (monkey can do it) and then simply wipe off the plug, clean the spark plug wire, then the actual spark plug hole area. Some oil might get into the cylinder, but owell the engine could use some extra lube
                              Also if anything electronic is not OEM then I'd suspect those parts first.
                              If all else fails then I'd check the headgasket...
                              Last edited by CB7Man; 07-25-2007, 05:16 AM.
                              Your man for wiring solutions!
                              CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap
                              CB7Man's Sedan Resurrected From The Dead

Comment

Working...
                              X