Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

A/C, radio, radiator fan not working, transmision screeches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C, radio, radiator fan not working, transmision screeches

When I started my car recently, the emergency brake light stayed on after I disengaged the brake. I tried resetting the brake and disengaging it again, but it didn't work. Then I noticed the A/C lights were not working, and the A/C would not come on. My radio was also not working. When I put the car in neutral to check the Emergency brake at a stop light, the transmission made an awful sound.

Everything else seemed fine, so I hit the road. Further down the highway, I stopped for gas. The same thing happened every time I put it in neutral: an awful screeching sound from the transmission. When I went to turn the car off, the key would not turn. So I'm sitting at the gas station, in D4, E-brake pulled, radio and A/C not working, and unable to turn the car off. Then, all of a sudden, the temp gauge starts climbing and the radiator starts boiling over. Steam everywhere. So I grab a water hose and douse the radiator with water. I was finally able to turn the car off by forcing the key. After a while, the engine cools down and I am able to start it again.

My theory on the car overheating is that the radiator fan was also not working. Thus, when I was driving 70 on the highway, the wind was able to spin the fan, but when I stopped, it could not cool itself.

Sunday morning, I drove it with no problems. A/C worked, radio worked, no E-brake light. On the way home from church on Sunday, everything went haywire again.

Other than this current problem, my car is in good shape. I do all the maintenance and repairs, and take really good care of it. This is a 90 Accord LX with 140K miles.

I can get a ride to work with a friend, but I would like to have my car back in action ASAP. However, I would like to do the work myself if I can, instead of taking to a shop.

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.

Ben <><

And the ninjas had sweet victory, and there was much rejoicing.

Yea, check all your fuses..... sounds like something got messed up bad!

There are fuses on the passenger side of your engine bay, and on your drivers side kick panel...

This is a serious issue, I would NOT drive the car until you get it figured out. not just because of the rad fan, but because the risk of an electrical fire!

Check your fuses then post back here what you find......

Comment

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I checked all fuses the first time the problem occured. No blown fuses, no corroded fuses. Everything looks sharp.

Ben <><

Comment

Man, that is very weird.... I Have no idea beyond what i said before....

Maybe Nail or someone can jump in here......

Comment

Sounds more like a wiring issue. Something is prob shorting out messing all this up. That would explain one day it works the other way it doesnt.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          I piss off people for fun.
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

A friend of mine who's a good mechanic in another city finally called me back today and said he thinks it's the ignition switch. What do you think? Anyone ever installed an ignition switch before?

Ben <><

Comment

After reading online a bit here, I decided to take a closer look at the ignition switch myself. I noticed small amounts of corrosion and build-up, so I cleaned it with a rag and regreased the switch. After putting everything back together, the car started and ran fine. I drove to work today, so I think I'm OK for a few more days before going to the dealership and picking up a new ignition switch just to be safe.

However, the key is still occasionally difficult to turn. I think this is a tumbler issue but I'm not sure. Can you buy just a tumbler and keys at the dealer? I see them on eBay, but I'm not enthused about buying this kind of part from anyone but Honda.

Ben <><

Comment

Sometimes the car requires a wiggle of the steering wheel to pull out the key. Since yours is auto make sure it is all the way in park. Sometimes it doesnt seat in and it makes it hard to pull out the key.

The New-ish Ride
                My old Ride
                Hear my Vtak!!!
                MK3 Member #3
                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

I thought we where talking about a radiator fan, and a/c. I didn't know your only problem was the key

do you think the ignition switch is causing all of these problems?

Comment

Originally posted by dean_harryman
                    I thought we where talking about a radiator fan, and a/c. I didn't know your only problem was the key

do you think the ignition switch is causing all of these problems?
                    What I kinda thought I was wondering why Ignition switch would fix the AC and radiator fan lol. Oh yea if you plan to use the ebrake leave the car in neutral. Also spinning fan while driving is a negative. The reason why it cools better is because driving at 70mph ingests more air than idling in traffic. When you are idling around traffic you need a catalyst to speed up airflow and thats where the fans come in. When your driving the fans are basically useless. Also both turn on when the AC is on since there is a bigger load placed on the motor. But did you fix the AC/fan issue?

The New-ish Ride
                    My old Ride
                    Hear my Vtak!!!
                    MK3 Member #3
                    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Working...
                    X