Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Auto Transmission Question D3? D4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto Transmission Question D3? D4?

Hi I have a few questions about Auto transmissions. My 92 Ex model transmission has a D3 and D4. Here is my questions

1. Is D4 an overdrive? and is D3 just a passing gear?

2. Is it safe to shift from D4 to D3 wile moving? If so at higher speeds like 55-90?

3. How fast is it safe to drive in D3 at? Because it revs really high on the highway

Thanks a lot for the help I hope that wasn't too noob for you.
    Accords Rock!

My Ride!

Originally posted by tman888
    Hi I have a few questions about Auto transmissions. My 92 Ex model transmission has a D3 and D4. Here is my questions

2. Is it safe to shift from D4 to D3 wile moving? If so at higher speeds like 55-90?

3. How fast is it safe to drive in D3 at? Because it revs really high on the highway

D4 is not an overdrive. It's is a standard gear. It's a selection where the car will shift up to and is higly recommended being there when driving.

I would not say shifting from D4 to D3 is safe. Automatics are automatics not manumatics.

Of course it revs high on the freeway because D3 is not the last gear , the 4th gear is.

If you want tranny shifting get a 5-speed otherwise don't manual shift the auto.
    Last edited by ExplodingCake; 09-05-2007, 02:46 AM.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
    1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
    2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
    2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
    2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
    2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

Again, i forget where i read this, but i once heard that D3 was supposed to be a steady-traffic or round town gear. D4 allows full shiftage through all (5?) gears. Its hard to explain without going into great lengths...Ill try my best...

higher RPMs mean more work on the engine and lower fuel efficiency. With a MT, you can shift it manually to lower the gears when you come to a stop. AT do that for us. Say your at a stop. You get going and you tranny shifts into 1. Then 2. Then 3. At this point you should be somewhere around 45-50. well, say the speed limit is 50. You stop accelerating at 50 and leave it be, well at this point the car is revving mid-high 3rd gear RPMs. So to allow lower RPMs and better MPG, it upshifts into that 4th Gear. If you were to leave it in D3, it would maintain those high RPMs.

As for downshifting into D3, from D4. Yes, it is a passing gear, but i really wouldnt recommend doing so beyond 60 or 65. just leave it in D4 and give it full throttle. But keep in mind, unless you have an h22, youre only packing anywhere from 120-145hp. So be patient, lol. The only time i really downshift into D3 or even D2 is when i need to stop really fast or i wanna throw out my loud exhaust. But i try not to drive in for long periods of time because ill forget im in that gear, and ill get on the highway or go to Reverse and i have to double-check myself to make sure im in R and not D4, lol.

So to answer your questions..
      1-a. No.
      1-b. Technically, yes.
      2-a. To a certain degree, yes. Just keep it at slower speeds.
      2-b. No. Again, keep shifting down to D3 under 60.
      3. Again, you can go from a dead stop to about 50 or 55, in D3, before youre really needing to shift into D4.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
      Originally posted by Jarrett
      Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

That is what I usually use it for. When I am racing someone I like to put it in D3 because it seems to accelerate faster, but when we get past 50 mph I want to shift into D4.

Another question would be what is the best gear to drive in snow with on the highway? I commute to my college and it snows occasionally. I was wondering what gear would be safer to drive in when the roads have an inch or so of untreated snow on them?
        Accords Rock!

My Ride!

Comment

Basically 1 is first gear, 2 is second gear, D3 is third gear, D4 is fourth gear and if we do have an overdrive on our D4 then thats kinda 5th.

If manual switch your auto, do standard maint. on it.
          www.myspace.com/sajunglist

www.bassdrive.com

Comment

Alright tman888, I'll tell ya what I know and it is as follows:
            • D4 is just a regular gear (for everyday driving purposes).
            • As for downshifting... I know I like to hear my exhaust roar too when slowing down too (I'm sure everyone's guilty of this @ some point). I wouldn't downshift at any spd. over 50 if I were you... could possibly lead to an early death for your tranny (which would cost a limb to replace)
            • I know from first-hand experience (it's in the owner's manual), that D3 is the drive to use if you need extra power going up a hill (perhaps if you're racing on the freeway ) OR for driving in the snow!! It's about the equivalent of shifting from 5th - 4th in a MT going up a hill (switches the engine to a lower gear to pull the load).

• Just remember this simple equation in this case: higher RPMs = more gas consumption (and you know it's not cheap).

Hope that helps ya out good buddy!! Peace!
            Last edited by TeamAccord; 09-05-2007, 03:54 PM.

Comment

D1= 1st
              D2= 2nd
              D3= 1,2,3
              D4= 1,2,3,4

Not really a reason to downshift to 3rd because if you mash down the pedal it *should* downshift for you if your not too far into 4th
              wat?

Comment

D3 on the accord can go up to 85+mph on the accord F22A, but it not recommend unless you are racing with a healthy trans and have midly modify your engine and added extra support for your auto tranny. For Longer Life you want to let the auto tranny do all the shifting, and occasioanlly downshift to D3 is ok as the manual say for uphill driving. Notice you do not have to push the button in to shift gear to D3<->D4.

As a Speeder I usualy drive in city on D3 and D4 when crusing on highway
                With my Auto JDM H22A Tranny my D3 gear max over 112mph +-1 to 2mph around 7600rpm, I have my engine and trans modifies to be able to take that abuse, so if u want your tranny to last if it already high millages. Regular change the trans fluids and get a auto trans oil cooler should last you over 200k+ if you don't race too much..

90 Accord Coupe LX, Stock JDM H22A Engine 10.6:1 - Stock Automatic LSD MPA1 Trans, JDM P13 Auto ECU + JDM P19 TCU. Tune with Greddy E-Manage Ultimate
                < 317WHP/227WTQ@11psi> B/W S256 turbo, Daily Driving on 93 pump gas - since 2006. Driving Turbocharged CB7 Accord since 2002.

Comment

doesn't the tranny have a cooler already?
                  wat?

Comment

In the snow, on city streets, i usually run 2nd cuz i get away with going anywhere from 20 on up to 35 or 40. On the highway, i imagine D3 is acceptable. But again, watch it around 50 or 60.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                    Originally posted by Jarrett
                    Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7
                      doesn't the tranny have a cooler already?
                      The auto stock radaitor lower part is has a built in tranny oil cooler, but it small and not design for the heat generated from constant racing at high rpm.
                      It fine for normal everyday driving through.
                      90 Accord Coupe LX, Stock JDM H22A Engine 10.6:1 - Stock Automatic LSD MPA1 Trans, JDM P13 Auto ECU + JDM P19 TCU. Tune with Greddy E-Manage Ultimate
                      < 317WHP/227WTQ@11psi> B/W S256 turbo, Daily Driving on 93 pump gas - since 2006. Driving Turbocharged CB7 Accord since 2002.

Comment

I've had my car in D3 up to 170kmh in the redline it was like 6400rpm, hehehe not good to do, it tells you the maximum recommened speeds per gear in the manual

My Members Ride Page

Comment

i just changed my tranny fluid not too long ago and put this B&M trick shift in there about 3 qts worth. It says its meant for older transmissions, compatible with dexron fluids and so far has been working fine. Anyone else have good/bad experience with it?

member's ride thread
                          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                          91 Accord SE 176k
                          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

this thread is really good for the new cb7ers like myself in helping me learn more about the auto trans thanks everyone
                            lost but not forgotten 9-11-01

Comment

D4 is 4th gear and D3 is third gear

after 60, no.

up to 6,000 rpm
                              miss my turbo cb7
                              moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

Working...
                              X