Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

3rd grinds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3rd grinds

i have a 91 accord lx and when i am like around 3500 rpm shifting from 2nd to 3rd it grinds....and they told me that my tranny is bad so i wanted to know if thats true or is it something all accord do after a while..

Stuff For Sale

mine grinds also, I usually have to let the rpms drop down before shifting.

92 Accord LX Coupe 5 Speed
    175K Miles

Comment

That's your typical honda for ya. Most all honda trannys will grind at least a little bit. Have you ever changed the transmission oil? I've found in the past that changing the transmission fluid will help smooth things out. Especially when it hasn't been changed for a while.

Get some honda MTF (manual transmission fluid) and drain and refill it. Believe me it will make a very noticeable difference.
      Amsoil also makes some very good manual transmission fluid. and I plan to try that out next time I get the chance to change the oil in the tranny.
      ~~~~~~~

Comment

I would also try changing your trans. oil first with Honda MTF, but if you have alot of miles on your car (around 150,000) your sycros may be going bad. Also, I have done alot of reading on fluids for our hondas, and it seems that the Honda MTF is the best thing out there for our trannys, including racing applications.
        "I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think I can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy." --President John F. Kennedy

ASE Master Automotive Technician
        ASE Master Med/Heavy Truck Technician
        US Navy Electrician
        Contact me if you need help on the side.
        '92 Accord DX (For Sale)
        '01 Civic LX
        '00 Tahoe

Greatest Rally Video Ever

Comment

Originally posted by drkshdw107
          I would also try changing your trans. oil first with Honda MTF, but if you have alot of miles on your car (around 150,000) your sycros may be going bad. Also, I have done alot of reading on fluids for our hondas, and it seems that the Honda MTF is the best thing out there for our trannys, including racing applications.
          2x OE is best. However, sounds like your synchronizers are going bad. This is typical on higher mileage cars. Rebuilding the transmission or replacement are you're options after trying fluid. But replacement is going to be your best bet. I am doing mine in a few weeks. I have 230,xxx miles and started grinding after a high speed run down I405. Ever since then...

Proud owner of the only JJDM full 2.5" catback exhaust!

Comment

like they said try the simple stuff first........mine grinds cuz my clutch master cylinder is leaking....but ya change your oil if that dont help rebuild it you should be good after that
            1991 Cappuccino Brown LX Coupe
            2013 Rallye Red Civic EX Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by DjM_coupe
              like they said try the simple stuff first........mine grinds cuz my clutch master cylinder is leaking....but ya change your oil if that dont help rebuild it you should be good after that
              That actually brings up a good point I forgot. It could also be your clutch hydrualics or your pressure plate, buttypically that is felt in all gears, not just thrid,

Proud owner of the only JJDM full 2.5" catback exhaust!

Comment

i did change my transmission fluid 1 year ago but i put some royal purple but i did not feel a diffference it felt the same. Well after i got my short shifter adapter it stopped grinding 2nd and 3rd does not do it as bad as before why is that.
                Last edited by CB7=91; 11-09-2007, 12:58 AM.

Stuff For Sale

Comment

Short shifters usually make it worse, at least in my experience.

Comment

Mine does it to, only on hard shifts. Has 300,000mi on it

Comment

I can tell you how to fix it. Mine was REALLY bad in 2nd and 3rd (had200 thou on it). Put some straight 30 or 50 weight oil in it. Thats all i did, and it COMPLETLEY stoped grinding. I can slam 2nd and 3rd at redline and it wont even catch a little. It may sound odd, but just put really thick oil in it. It kinda works as a spacer, making up for the little space that had worn off the syncros. I thought i was in for a new tranny, so i just said fuck it and put the oil in. Its been 30 thousand miles and havent had a problen yet! Works like a charm!
                      Oh yeah, it'll take a little longer to warm up in the colder months that normal.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                        Short shifters usually make it worse, at least in my experience.
                        how does a short shifter make it worse.

Stuff For Sale

Comment

Working...
                        X