Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

E-bay Cold Air Intakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-bay Cold Air Intakes

These have to be a joke...right? Under $10.00? Tell me this is one of those, you get what you pay for deals...I'm sure it is...now there's an AEM intake bidding at $72.00, but it looks used...I have no idea what a good brand and/or price for these are. I know $10.00 sounds good, but I can bet OEM is better than these.
    Originally posted by deevergote
    Speaking of sigs... aRaKNiD, yours takes up more than my entire screen. Shrink it, or I will.

Its all about the filter, not about the piping... You can buy a cheap ebay intake, throw a good K&N filter on there, and you have a good intake for a very low price.

Comment

For the most part, an intake is an intake. AEM intakes are more expensive for two reasons: A) they're CARB exempt for Cali, and B) you're paying for the name. An intake is just a large diameter tube to direct air toward the throttle body. It's as simple as that.
      ~If everybody you knew jumped off a bridge...the bodies would pile high enough to break your fall if you jumped after them.~

Project Deerslayer

UPDATE: DEER - 2, CB7 - 0
      '93 EX 5-speed coupe
      Short ram intake
      Tenrai Himoto catback
      Smashed front end
      Random bits of deer blood & hair

Comment

Originally posted by CustomLowz
        Its all about the filter, not about the piping... You can buy a cheap ebay intake, throw a good K&N filter on there, and you have a good intake for a very low price.
        So the piping for these are basically the same? As long as I get a 3" pipe it doesn't matter what "brand" with the exception of the filter? Sweet...never woulda guessed that. Well...now looking at K&N filters...how do you know which to get? I guess all that matters is that it fits the diameter of the pipe? Dumb question but does K&N come in different colors?

Is it possible to go to 4" piping? Can you change the intake to accomidate 4"?

Originally posted by Camurai
        AEM intakes are higher...you're paying for the name
        So the logical thing to do would be get a cheap e-bay knockoff, spend $2.99 for an AEM sticker and slap on it...
        Last edited by aRaKNiD; 11-25-2007, 08:24 PM.
        Speaking of sigs... aRaKNiD, yours takes up more than my entire screen. Shrink it, or I will.

Comment

I wouldnt go any bigger then 3, 4 inch is bigger then the fart cannon you plan on buying.. and that would be insanly loud as it is. Cheapest way i find is to get the piping, and a decent cone filter at a store, that doesnt have oil on it, the oil can actually clog up sensors, which is why i steer away from K&N. However its your choice.
          90 Accord EX F22a1 Auto R.I.P.
          2011 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L GS sport HELLO!

Comment

So what is it about these intakes that give the HP boost? Simply that it isn't in that box? Well, and I'm guessing that the plastic OEM tubing being "rippled" may play a role?

Originally posted by js593
            the oil can actually clog up sensors
            Anyone else got any feedback on the oiled/non-oiled filters?
            Last edited by aRaKNiD; 11-25-2007, 08:43 PM.

Comment

What honda designed as well as everyone else is a restrictive airflow. using that intake will make your motor louder in general, free up the restriction, and give you hp boost. Just remember with HP boost, your looking at decrease in gas milage.

Comment

the thing about the intakes that gives you a HP boost, is that they are free flowing intakes. the short rams or cold airs are free flowing pipes that allow maximum air in without any disturbances. the OEM air box and filter are designed to reduce noise and therefore they restrict air flow and do not create as much HP.

IMO i would go with a cheapo ebay piping and get a decent filter, thats what im going to do

Originally posted by slammed4thgen
                be risky, be smart, and most of all be creative!

Comment

Such a slight change in HP isn't going to disrupt gas mileage THAT much is it? I'm getting around 20-22mpg city, 25-28 highway. I'm guessing that gauge of the pipe really matters not...are most/all aluminum piping? If not, is that a factor...in anything other than maybe noise.

Comment

With my exhaust header, and intake "rig" im only puttin 18 city now... im starting to think something else is wrong.

Comment

Well you're talking about a header too...which that's 2-4mpg change is kinda significant considering having just those two mods. I'm actually quite proud of my mileage even with no engine mods because at the moment, I believe I've got:

1) bent frame
                      2) bent axle (passenger side)

and I know that my alignment is terrible.
                      "Radius Rod Connects to..." thread for more info on all that.

Comment

Yeah i read all about that, but now i ask one more question... if your frame is bent over and everything, why are you getting an intake for it... shouldnt you be fixing it first?

Comment

Umm...because an intake is cheaper than fixing a frame...

Heh, nah actually I'm not certain about it...although it doesn't look great. I figure though, this is my 3rd CB and I'm sure won't be my last, so any mods I make to it, I can always remove and install on another car if it turns out she can't be fixed as is.

Ok, one more question on these intakes and I think I've got all the info I need.
                          The difference between the "Short Ram Induction" and the "Cold Air Induction" other than length of piping. Which delivers more HP or does that even matter?
                          Last edited by aRaKNiD; 11-25-2007, 09:19 PM.

Comment

It's not the horsepower increase that decreases fuel economy. I'm making about 85hp or more over stock, and I get better gas mileage than I did with the F22A1.

What affects the fuel economy is the added airflow, and the ECU's reaction to dump more fuel to accommodate. ECU sees more air, and it gives more fuel so the engine doesn't run too lean. When you add parts that change the way things work, the ECU isn't programmed for it... so you get more fuel than you need. Too much fuel also decreases power. This is why tuning an ECU is good for both power and fuel economy. However, the gains to be had from tuning a stock-ish F22A are fairly limited, and most say it's not worth the work to bother. You'd have to know A LOT, and spend a TON of time tuning to make a custom tune with aftermarket parts even close to perfect compared to the stock ECU with the stock parts (if that makes sense)

As for the intake, everyone is right, for the most part. The AEM intakes (as well as Injen, and a number of other expensive brands) ARE better... they make slightly more power, as the pipe is tuned... that does make a difference. However, the difference between an AEM intake and a cheap ebay pipe of the same size, with a similar quality filter, would be 1-2hp at most... you'll NEVER feel it.
                            Honestly, the stock intake isn't all THAT restrictive, from what I'm told. I have nothing to back that up, however.

I, personally, am running an AEM cold air intake. I bought it brand new in 2003, and I paid $200 for it.

Comment

It's not the horsepower increase that decreases fuel economy. I'm making about 85hp or more over stock, and I get better gas mileage than I did with the F22A1.

What affects the fuel economy is the added airflow, and the ECU's reaction to dump more fuel to accommodate. ECU sees more air, and it gives more fuel so the engine doesn't run too lean. When you add parts that change the way things work, the ECU isn't programmed for it... so you get more fuel than you need. Too much fuel also decreases power. This is why tuning an ECU is good for both power and fuel economy. However, the gains to be had from tuning a stock-ish F22A are fairly limited, and most say it's not worth the work to bother. You'd have to know A LOT, and spend a TON of time tuning to make a custom tune with aftermarket parts even close to perfect compared to the stock ECU with the stock parts (if that makes sense)

As for the intake, everyone is right, for the most part. The AEM intakes (as well as Injen, and a number of other expensive brands) ARE better... they make slightly more power, as the pipe is tuned... that does make a difference. However, the difference between an AEM intake and a cheap ebay pipe of the same size, with a similar quality filter, would be 1-2hp at most... you'll NEVER feel it.
                              Honestly, the stock intake isn't all THAT restrictive, from what I'm told. I have nothing to back that up, however.

I, personally, am running an AEM cold air intake. I bought it brand new in 2003, and I paid $200 for it.
                              x2 on all the stuff he said and like he said aem and injen and the more expensive comps they do engineer the tubing to turbulate the air flow to suck more air in and for the price differece is it really worth the extra 2 hp
                              cb7's and three titty women with two vaginas is all we need in life j/k
                              MEMBERS RIDE PAGE

Comment

Working...
                              X