Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Swap Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swap Advice

Ok, im doing another swap.

The Bottom end that is Indefinately being used is an F22a1.
    I need advice about which head i should use...

The DOHC H23 head, with the customization it takes to make it fit.

Or an F22a6 Head with a Delta 272 Regrind.

I need some peoples thoughts on this. What would REALLY be the better setup?
    Fun with Paint... haha.

OHIO CB7's

The F22A bottom ends are nearly identical, so an F22A6 head would make that an F22A6, for the most part.

I'm not a big supporter of headswaps. If you have to modify something to make it fit, the chances of something going wrong increase dramatically. If this is your project car, go for it. If this is your only car, don't risk it. Go with the A6.

I personally like the F22A better than the H23 anyway. To me, the only two engines worth having in a CB7 are the F22A and the H22A. The other options are great, but they can't do anything that the F22A and H22A can't do.

Comment

oh, i know it would be an F22a6.
      I also know exactly what is to be done to make both setups work.
      I just have 2 options on my hands.
      2 heads in great condition.

I just wanna know whats going to give me more tq and power in the higher R's.
      Ive heard great things about the Delta 272 Regrind in an A6 head. But the H23 Head is stock... except for its new valves. Basically.... what is going to make me happier when i give her WOT? haha the best way to explain myself.
      and considering i like torque.
      Fun with Paint... haha.

OHIO CB7's

Comment

F22A6 head IMPO. Benefits: it out-flows just about anything, and the one you're looking at already has a great cam, which means no having to buy one. The A6 head will also bolt on with no modification, unlike the H23 head. Saving time AND money is sort of a no-brainer.
        ~If everybody you knew jumped off a bridge...the bodies would pile high enough to break your fall if you jumped after them.~

Project Deerslayer

UPDATE: DEER - 2, CB7 - 0
        '93 EX 5-speed coupe
        Short ram intake
        Tenrai Himoto catback
        Smashed front end
        Random bits of deer blood & hair

Comment

true, but i already have everything i need for the h23 swap if i decide to go with that.
          Fun with Paint... haha.

OHIO CB7's

Comment

i say go h23 cause youll have more potential to get power out of it in the future. Plus 160hp from the start sounds pretty good to me. Since its stock like you said youll have plenty of time to make it as fast as you want.

Comment

What modification does it take to use an H23 head? F23 head gasket, H23 lower timing gear and belt, and a little Hondabond
              Originally posted by DoctorCipher
              ...the beginner forum was created to provide a place for all the stupid ass questions to pile up and fester, kind of like huge globs of mayonnaise left in the sun for weeks at a time.

Comment

of course you need the appropriate ECU to match... im using a P14, and over the past couple hours of some more research i've dictated my decision torwards the H23 head.... reason being, 160 HP to start, as stated, and it'll be a lot easier to boost if i go that route haha. Plus around here where i live, no ones got an H23 in their CB7... . This motor is just going to be temporary, until i get my H22 block and head finished (gotta go all out).

Any ideas on reliability with this setup anyone?

Technically with this setup..... Block being an F22a1
                and Head being an H23

I could probably expect the same performance of a JDM F22 DOHC which is about the same as an H23 to my knowledge. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Right now, im waiting on rings in the mail, which should have been here 3 days ago... (damn usps). Gotta have compression. The bottom end is in pretty good shape, and some head work has been done (lapped new valves). But other then that the valvetrain hasnt been updated yet. So hopefully she'll put out for me. Whatchy'all think?
                Fun with Paint... haha.

OHIO CB7's

Comment

Unless you are rebuilding the bottom end i would go with the f22a6 + a DSM turbo set-up. the reason i say this is that most everyone who has done the H23 frankenstein without rebuilding the bottom end has blown it up. If you arent rebuilding the bottom end it has gotton used to the power and flow of the f22a and would not like the H23 head in the long run but if you are gonna rebuild the bottom end i would suggest the H23 + a DSM turbo set-up. In the end the choice is yours and I wish you luck in whatever you decide

Comment

Originally posted by inferno1414
                    Plus around here where i live, no ones got an H23 in their CB7...
                    depends where in ohio you are from...and either way come to the ohio meet!

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by trickedaccord92
                      Unless you are rebuilding the bottom end i would go with the f22a6 + a DSM turbo set-up. the reason i say this is that most everyone who has done the H23 frankenstein without rebuilding the bottom end has blown it up. If you arent rebuilding the bottom end it has gotton used to the power and flow of the f22a and would not like the H23 head in the long run but if you are gonna rebuild the bottom end i would suggest the H23 + a DSM turbo set-up. In the end the choice is yours and I wish you luck in whatever you decide
                      So an H23 head will blow it up, but a 14b won't?
                      Originally posted by DoctorCipher
                      ...the beginner forum was created to provide a place for all the stupid ass questions to pile up and fester, kind of like huge globs of mayonnaise left in the sun for weeks at a time.

Comment

Stick with SOHC.

get a regrind, h23 intake mani, and thats it, o and a chipped ecu
                        **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
                        Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
                        Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Originally posted by InvaderTrax
                          So an H23 head will blow it up, but a 14b won't?

if he doesnt rebuild the bottom the h23 head will PROBABLY blow it up long before he is ready for it to. If he is building the bottom end then i would suggest the H23 head with a DSM turbo kit

no build no h23 head
                          built then go h23 head

Comment

Both have potential. The F22A head flows very well, especially if some work is done to it. I would stick to the F22A head just because there would be less to go wrong. The H23 head doesn't offer all that much more. DOHC is nice, but that's about it. There are enough F22A options out there to make the F22A quite potent.

Comment

I'm not a big fan of headswap either. I believe in do it right the first time, it will save money in the long run.

Vouch for: Jarhead293, 2.2litrebeater, Darkshadow707, slammed4thgen, Pacman91ex.

Comment

Working...
                              X