Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

adjusted idle.. car goes physco?!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adjusted idle.. car goes physco?!!

i did exactly what Haynes said, unplug the iacv, then adjust idle screw, and finally removing 7.5 amp fuse for ten seconds. i did all of this properly idling at 850+-50, though now when i drive my car, it surges at 1000-1500rpms. i just cleaned out my iacv, whats the deal?

Is it only when it is cold or all the time?
    1992 Accord EX 4dr 5spd - SOLD after just over a decade of ownership
    2000 Subaru Legacy GT wagon 5spd
    AHM Platinum Parts Counterperson

Comment

Tweak the idle screw a little as it's surging, goose the gas, and see if it settles back to normal.

I never did it the "proper" way... But it always worked for me!

Comment

How long have you been driving it since you did the work? If it's only a short distance it might just need a little more time for the ECU to 'relearn' it's open loop mapping?
        Regards from Oz,
        John.

Comment

what does triggers the iacv to operate

Comment

I believe it is coolant temp.
            1992 Accord EX 4dr 5spd - SOLD after just over a decade of ownership
            2000 Subaru Legacy GT wagon 5spd
            AHM Platinum Parts Counterperson

Comment

Before you mess with the idle screw to set anything you need to disconnect the IACV. Next you RARELY need to touch that idle screw. The factory set it their for a reason. If you had idle problems you should start with the basic IACV/FITV if not vac leak. Those will cause idle problems. The idle screw never solves the problem it just prolongs it.

The New-ish Ride
              My old Ride
              Hear my Vtak!!!
              MK3 Member #3
              I piss off people for fun.
              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

OT: Nail, your car looks like a floating accord spaceship in that picture.
                Originally posted by sweet91accord
                if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                  Before you mess with the idle screw to set anything you need to disconnect the IACV. Next you RARELY need to touch that idle screw. The factory set it their for a reason. If you had idle problems you should start with the basic IACV/FITV if not vac leak. Those will cause idle problems. The idle screw never solves the problem it just prolongs it.
                  Always worked for me

Of course, I don't claim that it's the proper solution. I'm sure it's not. At all.

The best advice here is to let the ECU learn... if it keeps doing it, then adjust some more.

Comment

ok, ya ive only been driving it with the idle adjusted for two days, but i did have to turn the screw alot to keep the car running while the iacv was disconnected. ill just try and adjust it again if the problem continues. o and the car is warm when this happens, like after i drive it for 5 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by cornerkid322
                      i did exactly what Haynes said, unplug the iacv, then adjust idle screw, and finally removing 7.5 amp fuse for ten seconds. i did all of this properly idling at 850+-50, though now when i drive my car, it surges at 1000-1500rpms. i just cleaned out my iacv, whats the deal?
                      did you bleed your coolant after cleaning iacv?

Comment

for me i opened the top of the FITV and adjusted the little ring that goes around a center plunger.... while you have it open check that rubber plunger for cracks. then readjust you idling screw. agreed that you shouldnt of had to adjust that idling screw in the first place, you still have whatever may be causing that idling problem whether you adjust it or not.

Comment

Erratic Idle is a common problem, do some basic checks on the car, meter your battery and see that it is putting out fully, my accord had a surging idle when the alt. was on its way out. Check your fast idle valve, 3.50 from a wrecking yard. Also have a dealer flush the coolant, if your coolant develops a "bubble" inside then it can cause a pressure loss and an erratic idle. hopefully this helps.

Comment

What procedure did you follow to adjust the idle?
                            Also wouldn't hurt to check/adjust ignition timing. Like Nail said, the idle screw is the last thing to adjust.
                            Engine hothothot, unplug IACV, adjust idle to 550+/-50, shutdown engine, replug IACV and seal screw so it doesn't move. One step further: let engine cool completely, restart and let idle (NO throttle, no electrical stuff on, no nothing) till cooling fans come on.
                            Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate
                              OT: Nail, your car looks like a floating accord spaceship in that picture.
                              haha THAT IS HOLARIOUS.... it does look like a floating cb7.. thats the shit, and everyone knows it. hahaha props... nice picture.
                              Fun with Paint... haha.

OHIO CB7's

Comment

Working...
                              X