Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

cold air intake question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cold air intake question?

sooo i see that some people have a shirt ram intake and other have a long cold air that goes behind the battery somehow . . . umm how do you do that . . . just wondering where it goes and if i can do that or not much thanks later

to fit a cold air intake you have to enlarge a hole that's near the battery.

Originally posted by kc8enb07
    does it come w/ jdm trash? they better throw away gold in it

Comment

/Thread lol.
      Yeah that's about it man. You may need to remove the bumper to fit the filter as well...
      I'm not sure though...I have a short ram, I dont trust a CAI in Seattle lol.

Comment

theres a 3x5 inch hole about in the fender, make that bigger so the CAI can fit through it. then walla! you have a CAI on your car.

member's ride thread
        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
        91 Accord SE 176k
        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by zack_odom
          /Thread lol.
          Yeah that's about it man. You may need to remove the bumper to fit the filter as well...
          I'm not sure though...I have a short ram, I dont trust a CAI in Seattle lol.
          Don't worry about it. I know no one thinks it rains or snows in California, but I live where it does both (and yes I've seen Seattle... not much worse, just more common). At winter's worst I still havn't hydrolocked a car, that's with the filter hanging unprotected about 6" from the ground, romping through puddles 30+ feet long, 4" deep. The test has been done before, you only need to worry about a CAI sucking up water if the filter is fully saturated for pretty close to a minute. Behind a splash gaurd and with some lack of wrecklessness, it'll be fine.

Comment

and if u are really that worried about water u can just purchase a bypass valve for the intake and that will just about guarantee no water in your engine not that its really that likely in the first place but possible
            Lost Motion Inc. Repair and Performance Automotive

Comment

The power gains of a CAI over a short ram aren't really worth the risk of hydrolock. I have a CAI only because I gave in to the hype... but I really don't think I'd notice that extra 2hp (maybe!)

Comment

I heard those bypass valves undo whatever power increases you may receive from a cold air intake. Anyone else heard the same?

1992 Honda Accord Coupe LX

Comment

It depends... but yeah, they do cause a bit of a loss by creating a bit of turbulence in the intake flow.

The best thing to do is get a short ram with a good filter. AEM or K&N. Even just the filter on a cheap ebay pipe... the short ram pipes aren't really that important.

Comment

IMO Cold air is over rated. I have a short ram, and i tried out the cold air, SAME noise, no extra power gain. And since it seems to sparatically rain whenever it wants here, i would stick with my short ram.
                    90 Accord EX F22a1 Auto R.I.P.
                    2011 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L GS sport HELLO!

Comment

i have tried autozone cone filters, AEM, and K&N filters, and the best so far is the Weapon*R dragon or secret weapon intake, you can really notice a difference if you are used to driving with the weapon rand swith to something else, but like said before the tube doesnt matter mainly the intake

Comment

Originally posted by js593
                        IMO Cold air is over rated. I have a short ram, and i tried out the cold air, SAME noise, no extra power gain. And since it seems to sparatically rain whenever it wants here, i would stick with my short ram.
                        No extra power gain by what dyno? The one in your pants?

CAIs DO produce more power... just not enough to feel. Not worth the expense, risk, or hassle, IMO.

Also, having to put the car in the air to remove the filter to remove the intake to remove the intake manifold... pain in the ass.

Comment

Im an SRI guy myself, but ive always liked the idea of piping air in from the fender, or from the front of the car, like Bille did with his

That or using a CAI but cutting the piping like 4-6inches shorter. I guess it rains/snows an average amount here in MO, but im usually careful as to not drive through puddles anyway, so...yeah i guess CAI's arent really worth it unless you live in a dry place.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                          Originally posted by Jarrett
                          Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

I have a short ram intake, and a spectre cone filter..should I try to get a different filter or is that one pretty good?

Comment

Never heard of it.

I usually go to Advanced or O'reilly's and pick up whatever filter they have in thier "Tuner" section. Probably some no-name, off-brand but...

I think K&N is probably best, but i can never find them in the proper cone size

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                              Originally posted by Jarrett
                              Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Working...
                              X