Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

turbo built?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turbo built?

alright this might be a bit of a noob question, but here goes. i was thinking about building a motor for turbo, but i only get so much money at a time. my question is, if i build a motor for turbo... would i be able to run it without the actual turbo for any amount of time without damaging anything? and if i can, would it still run good? or would the low compression mess with it? i know a little above average about engines, but know nothing about turbo and such.
    any help is appreciated.
    Thanks in advanced

98 Sunfire GT current DD

Yes you shouldn't have a problem, you might want to get it tuned though if you do some significant internal work...but why not just safe the money you have already and wait until you have enough for boost?

SOLD!!
    Boosted H22
    375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS

Comment

Originally posted by mozzandherb
      Yes you shouldn't have a problem, you might want to get it tuned though if you do some significant internal work...but why not just safe the money you have already and wait until you have enough for boost?
      i was just gonna do it in portions (plus i have problems with saving my money lol) but i was gonna get an h22a full swap, then build it for turbo, then put it in, get it tuned, and then i was gonna go for the turbo

98 Sunfire GT current DD

Comment

I'm with Mozzandherb. Technically you could do it. but its kind of pointless and while your waiting for turbo you are likely to see a drop in stock h22 HP.

From the way i understand it most turbo builds include lowering the compression if you do that and then don't boost it seems like you would loose power.

If you want it bad enough... you'll save for it. Either that or buy the H swap it and then wait a little while to build it and boost it.
        "Auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports....all others are games."
        - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Agreed! Wait till its all in your hands and then build and boost.

1992 Honda Accord Coupe LX

Comment

id build it with the proper clearances and just stick a stock cam to drive on it. piece together turbo, change the cam out and then have a ball.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
              id build it with the proper clearances and just stick a stock cam to drive on it. piece together turbo, change the cam out and then have a ball.
              yea i might do that, another question i have is, should i keep and build my f22 for turbo? or should i do the h22a swap and build IT for turbo? and also what would a decent turbo setup run for?

98 Sunfire GT current DD

Comment

id rather get another f22 and build that for turbo. you mentioned having a limited budget. f22's can be picked up for dirt cheap.

im building a f22 for NA and then taking out the old motor and build that one up for nitrous
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

my opinion

well honestly, sounds like you havent done much research, so I would charge up the f22 boosted. It is a good start more power than just an H22 but you get to understand more. And if you mess it up you didnt spend a shitload of money. Why not boost the engine already in there assuming you have a f22 now. I just did mine with 250k. but i had it checked and everything looks killer.

My only advice is do the little things first I wish I had.
                  Such as:
                  Motor Mounts
                  Clutch (thought mine was gunna hold, so wrong)
                  New ignitor
                  Brakes (more power means you need to stop better)
                  Suspension (so you can handle it)
                  Tires (your just gunna spin em)

good luck my friend!
                  MadLab Racing
                  Southern Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by drummersteve7
                    well honestly, sounds like you havent done much research, so I would charge up the f22 boosted. It is a good start more power than just an H22 but you get to understand more. And if you mess it up you didnt spend a shitload of money. Why not boost the engine already in there assuming you have a f22 now. I just did mine with 250k. but i had it checked and everything looks killer.

My only advice is do the little things first I wish I had.
                    Such as:
                    Motor Mounts
                    Clutch (thought mine was gunna hold, so wrong)
                    New ignitor
                    Brakes (more power means you need to stop better)
                    Suspension (so you can handle it)
                    Tires (your just gunna spin em)

good luck my friend!
                    alright so i have a spare f22... and are you saying that i can just turbo that on the stock internals? because i want this motor to last and i wouldn't think it would last very long boosted on the stock internals?

98 Sunfire GT current DD

Comment

well..

all depends on the strength of the motor, if it still has good compression and all that. check your equipment.

as far as stock internals what are your goals.
                      Plus it is all in the tune.

stock internals are fine as long as you dont go overboard with what your doing.
                      MadLab Racing
                      Southern Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by drummersteve7
                        all depends on the strength of the motor, if it still has good compression and all that. check your equipment.

as far as stock internals what are your goals.
                        Plus it is all in the tune.

stock internals are fine as long as you dont go overboard with what your doing.
                        alright well i been doing a little bit of research on boosting the f22, and i found in a few places that a turbo setup for the f22 could run me about 10 grand?

98 Sunfire GT current DD

Comment

Originally posted by 92_CB7
                          alright well i been doing a little bit of research on boosting the f22, and i found in a few places that a turbo setup for the f22 could run me about 10 grand?
                          you've been lookng the wrong areas then.

go to the forced induction thread and read accord r33's turbo install, and look what he used for parts. then search for dsm turbo kit. then report back to us

Comment

A full build will run about 10 grand to do it right. The turbo setup itself won't cost more than $3000 for good stuff. Accord R33's writeup uses used DSM parts... if you want good power or a reliable setup, this isn't really the way to go. Eric (R33) is meticulous, very intelligent, and a bit lucky that his setup worked so well. It's not something you should do if you're serious about making a good, powerful, reliable setup. Follow the builds of guys like Accord_SiR, kamaccord, and LoDollar92LX (though the headswap idea doesn't sit well with me...).

When I met kamaccord years ago... nearly 4 years ago now... his H22 was built for boost, but being run NA. He just got around to actually installing that beautiful turbo setup fairly recently! I understand the idea of doing it in stages... especially that plunking down thousands of dollars at once for your old car can seem a little excessive (when you do it $500 at a time, it's a hobby... when you save up $10,000... that's a newer car, or a downpayment on a small house!)

Doing it all at once IS the better choice... especially if you crash the car, blow the motor, or decide you don't want to continue with the project... I'd rather have $6000 cash sitting in the bank collecting interest waiting for another $4000 to complete the build, than $6000 sitting in my motor, getting beaten on every day, waiting to get stolen or clipped by a Hummer and destroyed! At least, if something happens and the plans change, you can use the money for something else!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                              A full build will run about 10 grand to do it right. The turbo setup itself won't cost more than $3000 for good stuff. Accord R33's writeup uses used DSM parts... if you want good power or a reliable setup, this isn't really the way to go. Eric (R33) is meticulous, very intelligent, and a bit lucky that his setup worked so well. It's not something you should do if you're serious about making a good, powerful, reliable setup. Follow the builds of guys like Accord_SiR, kamaccord, and LoDollar92LX (though the headswap idea doesn't sit well with me...).

When I met kamaccord years ago... nearly 4 years ago now... his H22 was built for boost, but being run NA. He just got around to actually installing that beautiful turbo setup fairly recently! I understand the idea of doing it in stages... especially that plunking down thousands of dollars at once for your old car can seem a little excessive (when you do it $500 at a time, it's a hobby... when you save up $10,000... that's a newer car, or a downpayment on a small house!)

Doing it all at once IS the better choice... especially if you crash the car, blow the motor, or decide you don't want to continue with the project... I'd rather have $6000 cash sitting in the bank collecting interest waiting for another $4000 to complete the build, than $6000 sitting in my motor, getting beaten on every day, waiting to get stolen or clipped by a Hummer and destroyed! At least, if something happens and the plans change, you can use the money for something else!
                              yea, i do want it to be more of a hobby... i AM planning on getting a beater for the winters and such, i eventually wanna make this a nice show car, that can back up its looks with the power, which is why i am looking into the turbo setup, and i will looks into those other member's rides and such.
                              thanks deeve

98 Sunfire GT current DD

Comment

Working...
                              X