Camshaft regrinds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camshaft regrinds

I'm a little confused as to how shops regrind camshafts to add lift, or increase duration. How does that work if they are grinding off material as the term implies? Or is that not what they do?

A f22ax cam will work for the core for an f22b2 right?

Youre not grinding the actual "bump" on the cam down, youre grinding the smaller circle to make the "bump" appear larger. You have to adjust the rockers to account for the smaller circle being, uh, smaller but it achieves the same affect as adding material would.
    -Mark-
    CB7
    CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
    Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

So they grind the cam journals down some?

Comment

yup.
        -Mark-
        CB7
        CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
        Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

Yes, I had Delta 272/272 cams in my DSM. They were HKS copies. Pretty much they take material out of the journals AND reshape the lobes. You have to shim your lifters or you will get horrible tap and it may register as knock. The shims are about 1/16" or so, goes right under the lifter...at least that's how it was for the DSM.
          VIP Status.

Comment

So does anyone know if an f22ax cam will work for a regrind for an f22b2? Are the cam profiles similar enough? I noticed bisimoto's cam regrind specs are the same for the f22ax and f22b2 engines (no specified differences)

Does anyone have the cam lobe height specs for f22ax engines? I have a cam from an f22ax engine but I'm not sure which one its from. I did some searching on this forum for them but I didn't find anything.

Comment

Originally posted by ACC0RD22 View Post
              Youre not grinding the actual "bump" on the cam down, youre grinding the smaller circle to make the "bump" appear larger. You have to adjust the rockers to account for the smaller circle being, uh, smaller but it achieves the same affect as adding material would.

This is a basic image but this is what ive been taught the angle and time duration of the base of the lobe deals with torque and the higher part for the bhp the higher end with the top not serving much apart from the smoothness of the de-acceleration as the valve begins its trip back.

So by some sums its possible to work out how much to "cut away" the most common thing to do on "regrinds" is to cut some base away resulting in a faster valve opening to the desired amount of lift usually not change hence why you can gain with out "adding to the top of the lobe

UKDM 93 CB3 Page (1) H22A U2Q7 LSD
              UKDM 91 4ws Page (3) OEM Minter
              NOW H22A U2Q7 SWAPPED

Comment

Originally posted by rcpaul View Post
                Does anyone have the cam lobe height specs for f22ax engines? I have a cam from an f22ax engine but I'm not sure which one its from. I did some searching on this forum for them but I didn't find anything.
                Does anyone have the CB Accord factory service manual? If so can you just look up the cam lobe height specs for me?

Comment

Does anyone know the specs for the cam lobe height for the f22a 1, 4, or 6? I downloaded a bunch of CB manuals and it didn't list any of those it just had like f22a 2, 3, and 5.

Comment

Working...
                  X