Anyone used these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone used these?

Ok, so here is a long story leading up to a short question, or three.

With ~ 190,000 miles on the clock, my clutch is just about at the end of the road. After a bit of shopping around, I purchased an Exedy stage 1 clutch, which should be a perfect match for me, as I don't intend to do anything too wild to the engine, but want to know that I can beat on it a bit without worrying too much about it holding up. I also got an ACT Streetlite flywheel.

I then started asking around to get a price for installing it. Sadly, the vast majority of the shops I asked won't touch the job unless they supply all the parts. Since I have a bad CV shaft, which is covered under warranty, and will be a free replacement, AND I already purchased the clutch and flywheel, that is out of the question.

I did find two shops that would install for me, but I don't really trust either of them to do the work properly, and the price was a good bit higher than I was expecting, so it looks like I'm going to be installing the clutch myself.

This is bad in a way, since I live in a Condominium complex, and doing that kind of job is against the rules. However, the only thing they can really do to punish me is charge me $50 for violating the rules, which is a small fraction of what it would cost to have the work done in a garage. The other small problem is that I've never done a clutch before, but I have the FSM, and I've watched a few Youtube videos, so I think I'm in good shape.

On the positive side, since I'm doing the work, not only am I saving a ton of cash, but I also have the opportunity to do some other work while I'm in there.

My front rotors suck. They were no good a year ago when I got the car, and they aren't any better now. They're gouged up pretty good, and warped as well. I suspect that the calipers aren't really in great shape either (the back ones were absolutely garbage, and I wound up replacing them both when I did the back brakes), and with 190,000 on the wheel bearings I know that I'm just going to end up replacing those as well.

Since I'm going to be doing all this work, and will have to buy rotors, calipers, and wheel bearings too, this is as good a time as any to do a ROH conversion, and upgrade to the bigger rotors.

After doing a bit of searching around for the appropriate Honda wheel bearings, and Acura hubs, I discovered that TAS has a hub / bearing package for the ROH conversion. So, first off, will this work with the big brake Acura set up? Secondly, has anyone used it, and how did it hold up? Price wise, it's about comparable to what I'd end up paying to buy the bearings, and hubs separately, and then have a shop press them together for me, and they come already pressed together.

Finally, if I go this route, once I beat the existing hub / bearing out of my knuckle, will I be able to clean the knuckle up good, and install the new hub / bearing without having it pressed into the knuckle, or will I still need to visit a shop to get it installed?

The only thing needing pressed is the bearing onto the hub. That whole assemble just bolts onto the knuckle. I didn't go the TAS way because I wanted good Brembo rotors. The setup is awesome and it was worth it. Total for it all was around $400 or so. I used 4th gen Prelude VTEC front rotors instead of the Acura ones.
    1994 Honda Accord SiR Sports Sedan

“When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.” - Abraham Lincoln
    CD5Tuner - A Fifth Generation Accord Community
    PS3 tag: Mechtroop

Comment

Disclosure

Find somewhere you can do the work in peace. The worst thing that can happen happened to me, I was working on my Accord in the apartment complex parking lot and damaged a wheel stud and lower ball joint. I didn't know how to replace these things back in 2001 and had the car up on safety stands while I planned my next course of action. By the next day, I had a love note on my door telling me they would be towing my car in 48 hours. I figured I would beat them to the punch and tow it myself, to the dealership. The whole ordeal cost $850 dollars and left a bad taste in my mouth over working on someone else's property. I am not trying to discourage you, just want you to be aware of the worst that can happen.
      1997 Honda Accord EX-V6:
      C27A4 - 2.7-liter 90º-V6 with SOHC, 24-valves, PGM-Fi
      MPZA - Electronically controlled 4-speed automatic, 1 reverse
      ~170 cu. in. / ~170 ft. lbs. / ~170 whp

Originally posted by James Matteu
      You have to consider the results of your test in an objective manner, or as the country folk like to say, "son, you gotta be smarter than what you're workin' with."

Comment

The TAS ROH conversion kit is great.

My brake setup( not installed yet):

Accord Wagon/V6 Calipers with 25T brackets
        Accord Wagon/V6 Rotors 11.1'' HOR Style

yeah, I know they are still going to be HOR, but I don't change them that often, so I'm good.

Tom, check this link out, it will help:

http://www.accordinglydone.com/forum...ight=nsx+brake

Comment

Thanks for the answers guys, and the warning James.

My mother is the president of the board here (sounds kind of funny coming from a 40 year old haha), and we've gone over the rules several times, and she's discussed it off the record with various board members. They ONLY punishment that they have open to them is a $50 fine, and they have to send me a warning letter, and give me 30 days to correct the problem before they can fine me, so unless it takes me more than a month to fix the thing I should be good. Even if it takes me more than a month, it's still only going to cost me a $50 fine.

I've already got a damaged lower ball joint, I screwed up the threads on the stud the last time I had it apart, and had a heck of a time getting it back together. I have a full size service jack, and an air compressor with an assortment of tools (including a but kicking IR impact gun), and pretty good working knowledge of the front suspension system, so I don't expect any problems there, I just haven't messed about with a clutch before, or the HOR setup.

Velo, that is just the info I was looking for. As long as I get the kit from TAS with the bearings and hubs already put together I should be fine then. I will get the rotors / calipers from the Acura. I'll get the calipers from Ebay, so they will come with the brackets, and then all I'll have to do is beat the old bearings out. A set of longer bolts, and the BFH should get the job done.

Comment

Working...
          X