Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can touch up paint (spray) have negative effects on a future repaint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can touch up paint (spray) have negative effects on a future repaint?

This is an oddly specific question, but one I can't find a clear answer to. I have paint issues and a cracked bumper that I would like to attempt to correct temporarily, until I get a quality paint job. Now, I know spray paint is a good deal different than proper automotive paint. What I'm wondering is if an application of spraypaint now may affect the adhesion or curing process of a proper paintjob in the future. If it could cause problems, I'd rather just live with the flaws until then. If not, then I could patch it up to make it a little better in the meantime.

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
    This is an oddly specific question, but one I can't find a clear answer to. I have paint issues and a cracked bumper that I would like to attempt to correct temporarily, until I get a quality paint job. Now, I know spray paint is a good deal different than proper automotive paint. What I'm wondering is if an application of spraypaint now may affect the adhesion or curing process of a proper paintjob in the future. If it could cause problems, I'd rather just live with the flaws until then. If not, then I could patch it up to make it a little better in the meantime.
    Mike, quality auto paint suppliers can actually mix paint and sell it to you on a spray can ready to shoot, find a local store that offers this service and bring them the code and the gas door so they can match it and you are ready to go. Now as far as the question itself it's yes and no, certain paints react to other finishes if not sanded to bare metal but I also know of painters who use a light spray to check for low spots while sanding primer.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

I hadn't thought of that!
      Ok, cool. I really just want to get the car looking better for now. I plan on getting a proper paint job eventually, but it's not in the budget right now (not even Maaco's cheapest, sadly!) I figured I could possibly touch it up myself to be acceptable. I might even try my hand at repairing the cracked bumper!

Comment

Working...
      X