Help- Hood Is Fading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help- Hood Is Fading

I have had my hood for prolly about 2-3 years, somewhere in between that time, not exactly sure. My VIS CF hood has started fading and i want to know what i can do to make it look any better than it does. Will a clay bar work or atleast help somewhat?

i just noticed one small spot by the passenger side door as well...im thinking of sanding it down and adding new clearcoat to it...but im not too sure though...i want to find a good local shop that has done this type of work instead of some regular ol' shop that might f$%k it up more

Originally posted by fizzbob7
    first off, don't be a sissy bitch.....that's what you're being
    Originally posted by ACC0RD22
    no need to get sand in your vagina over this guys.
    So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

bimmer guys know detailing, so i asked them a few months back. some really good responses, so you should definitely read it

short story:
      wash, clay, wash, polish, glaze, seal, wax. i do it about once a month now, and i've been fine. especially considering i thought i was going to have to get a new carbon fiber hood, or paint it.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

What do they mean by sealer and glaze? I have never heard of that type of stuff being used on a car. I went and bought some Meguiars COLORX, it is a polish, says it will take away oxidation and stuff like that and restore it back to normal color. I may have to do it more than once but hey, if it works, thats all that matters.

Comment

I wax mine also, and no fading in over a year. However, I have hairline cracks in mine that are tiny as hell, but bother me. I never found out how to cover them up.
          My Member's Ride Thread, Comments Welcome!!!

Comment

Nice car dude! Are those ITR wheels?
            In your signature out best time matches exactly... I also ran a 14.5 @ 98mph.
            Only my car weights 2900lbs. It must be your c/f hood that saved you 50lbs.. Or maybe it's just my two extra doors. I'm interested in your setup...

My CB7 is now ***FOR SALE***

Comment

Hey uncle el, what stuff should i use, what company makes these things, where can i find them at and such things like that? I have never heard of glaze and sealer to put on a car. Lemme know man, i tried polish and it didnt work.

Comment

I'm in the detailing biz,I own my own shop and do the work myself. I only use Eagle One products because they work so much easier and better then Meguires. I use Nano wax by Eagle one which you can get at AutoZone or Checker. It's supposed to fill in Hairline scratches and also after you clay bar your car it deepens the shine. If you need to see pics of my car just E-mail me and I'll get you some pics. I just bought a full Carbon Fiber Wing for it and got it installed. I hope this works out for you. You might have to do it a couple of times,but it does work. Take care and good luck.

CHRIS.
                TURBO SOON TO COME!!!!
                183 horsepower at the wheels and
                182.5 torque at the wheels with 156,400 miles and an automatic.

Comment

Originally posted by 1SWEETACCORD
                  I'm in the detailing biz,I own my own shop and do the work myself. I only use Eagle One products because they work so much easier and better then Meguires. I use Nano wax by Eagle one which you can get at AutoZone or Checker. It's supposed to fill in Hairline scratches and also after you clay bar your car it deepens the shine. If you need to see pics of my car just E-mail me and I'll get you some pics. I just bought a full Carbon Fiber Wing for it and got it installed. I hope this works out for you. You might have to do it a couple of times,but it does work. Take care and good luck.

CHRIS.
                  cracks and scratches are two different things. the cracks that nycexracer is talking about occur because the carbon fiber overlay resists flexing, but the fiberglass reinforcement does not(the majority of carbon fiber hoods are carbon fiber laid over fiberglass)... over time, the carbon fiber can crack in some spots, or it may just delaminate the gel coat (carbon fiber hoods tend to have a gel coat, which is similar to a clear coat), or both.

Originally posted by vtec93accord
                  Hey uncle el, what stuff should i use, what company makes these things, where can i find them at and such things like that? I have never heard of glaze and sealer to put on a car. Lemme know man, i tried polish and it didnt work.
                  mother's makes a decent product that combines both the glaze and the sealer

i know some people rave about poorboy's products. poor boy's sealant:

poorboy's sealant with carnuba:

klasse sealant glaze:

vanilla moose glaze:

i've only used mother's glaze and sealer, and it's served me well doing it by hand. poorboy's and klasse are, from my understanding, more for use with an orbital buffer as their products are a little more expensive and more abrasive/stronger. the vanilla moose glaze can be applied by hand, with a porter cable, or an orbital buffer.

edit: here's a little of my experience trying to "restore" my hood. it was made prior to using the sealant/glaze in the cleaning process. it also shows some shots of the cracks in the hood.
                  Last edited by uncle_el; 05-04-2005, 09:43 PM.

Comment

I tried using the 3m restorer and wax and it looked like it faded it out a little bit to where you cant see it anymore but it isnt completely gone. What should i try now?

Comment

I tried using the 3m restorer and wax and it looked like it faded it out a little bit to where you cant see it anymore but it isnt completely gone. What should i try now?
                      wash, clay, wash, polish, glaze, seal, wax.

Comment

okay this is what i have and what i need to do- eagle 1 car wash, dont have clay bar yet, wash it again, meguiars colorX polish, and i need to get mothers glaze and sealer, then i have meguiars gold class wax. Is that correct?

Comment

okay this is what i have and what i need to do- eagle 1 car wash, dont have clay bar yet, wash it again, meguiars colorX polish, and i need to get mothers glaze and sealer, then i have meguiars gold class wax. Is that correct?
                          pretty much. don't know much aobut meguiars colorx, but it should be suitable.

i've been dealing with a somewhat faded hood for a while, and the thing that has worked the best for me is doing the above steps, though i don't use the clay bar everytime. but trying to get it back to its good looking condition the first time, you should definitely use the clay bar.

Comment

Where can i get a clay bar and how much is it? Which brand should i get? Sorry for all the questions but thanks for all the help.

Comment

Where can i get a clay bar and how much is it? Which brand should i get? Sorry for all the questions but thanks for all the help.
                              pep boys, autozone, etc. etc. mother's makes one that comes in a detailing pack... i can't think of the name, but i think that's pretty close. it comes with the showtime detail spray (to act as lubricant) and a clay bar... i think it also comes with a small bottle of liquid carnuba wax... all for about 20 bucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X